Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poltung

New in Town
Leather jacket zipper replacement in EU (preferably Baltic states or close).
Anyone have any contacts / suggestions?
In France there is La Canadienne and Atelier Ohso that are reknown leather shops, the former being bigger (reseller of brands such as Schott made in USA) and the latter being a smaller shop sewing PN jackets for the French army

calvin006

New in Town
Could someone please explain button cuffs to me? It seems they almost always have two buttons, I assume to adjust the tightness of the cuff. But I've never seen the tighter button utilized. Is there some other purpose for this second button?

Just wondering if I could expect to be able to tighten the cuff on such a design and what that might look like.

bgrant570

New in Town
Could someone tell me (or point me in the right direction) about the finish on vintage G-1's? Specifically Vietnam era? I know they are mostly goatskin (some cow towards the end of the war), but how were they tanned and what is the finish on them? Is it paint? I've done my due dilligence/Google Fu, but I can't find an answer. Thanks.

AHP91

Practically Family
Ok all, I put in a nice bid for this one, and it looks like I have the chance to buy it after the top bidder dropped out. Anyone have any information on this type of jacket? It came from a seller in California who has a quite nice collection of mint condition old Bucos, 1930s Grizzly jackets, etc.

I did a bit of research on this type of jacket and it seems likely it's a 1950s West Cost jacket (especially considering the Conmar main zip). I think the lining was probably replaced. Was just wondering if anyone has information on this type of jacket (age, relative rarity, etc.). Thanks very much.

1687114900142.png

1687114925081.png

1687114936130.png

1687114951827.png

1687114964462.png

Nacho

Practically Family
Ok all, I put in a nice bid for this one, and it looks like I have the chance to buy it after the top bidder dropped out. Anyone have any information on this type of jacket? It came from a seller in California who has a quite nice collection of mint condition old Bucos, 1930s Grizzly jackets, etc.

I did a bit of research on this type of jacket and it seems likely it's a 1950s West Cost jacket (especially considering the Conmar main zip). I think the lining was probably replaced. Was just wondering if anyone has information on this type of jacket (age, relative rarity, etc.). Thanks very much.

View attachment 526502
View attachment 526503
View attachment 526504
View attachment 526505
View attachment 526506
I agree with @handymike . This style is really unique, sort of a blend between straight zip CHP and grizzly. And it's unlabelled too. In my experience, the jackets without the label are usually gems. If you have the mean, might as well get it. You can always sell it back here.

AHP91

Practically Family
I agree with @handymike . This style is really unique, sort of a blend between straight zip CHP and grizzly. And it's unlabelled too. In my experience, the jackets without the label are usually gems. If you have the mean, might as well get it. You can always sell it back here.
Thanks, I like it too. There's actually a return policy as well, so I can even send it back to seller if I change my mind. Anyway, I found an identical looking Conmar zipper on this Grais bomber posted recently. Don't really know what that means, but this bomber looks 50s. Of course they could've used the zip later. Probably doesn't make much of a difference, but to my simple mind it does.

1687133613527.png

1687133729781.png

1687133752847.png

Nacho

Practically Family
Thanks, I like it too. There's actually a return policy as well, so I can even send it back to seller if I change my mind. Anyway, I found an identical looking Conmar zipper on this Grais bomber posted recently. Don't really know what that means, but this bomber looks 50s. Of course they could've used the zip later. Probably doesn't make much of a difference, but to my simple mind it does.

View attachment 526578
View attachment 526579
View attachment 526580
It could be Grais that made this jacket. I found this.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The cuffs are similar to your jacket's. As well as the two front slanted pockets. Both use CONMAR zipper despite the difference in shape.

Have you consider talking to the seller? Looks to me like he's a collector if he has BUCO and grizzly jackets. Maybe he knows what's up with the jacket because he's selling it after all.

Just a thought!

AHP91

Practically Family
Unfortunately in the description the seller said they "bought it years ago and know nothing about it", so I'm just gonna be making hopefully educated guesses on it. But does look similar, tough to say.

Nacho

Practically Family
Unfortunately in the description the seller said they "bought it years ago and know nothing about it", so I'm just gonna be making hopefully educated guesses on it. But does look similar, tough to say.
lol this seller dude!

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Could someone please explain button cuffs to me? It seems they almost always have two buttons, I assume to adjust the tightness of the cuff. But I've never seen the tighter button utilized. Is there some other purpose for this second button?

Just wondering if I could expect to be able to tighten the cuff on such a design and what that might look like.
Here's how they looked on my RMC Mobster, not the best, for this style where it just closes the wrist cuff it's better to get something that matches your width preference on the original button.

For something that has a cuff with an opening that goes down the arm a bit, like on a denim jacket, I think that would look a lot better since it spreads the tightening over a longer length of the sleeve.

334943930_717778220019641_4112211839351684074_n(1).jpg

calvin006

New in Town
Here's how they looked on my RMC Mobster, not the best, for this style where it just closes the wrist cuff it's better to get something that matches your width preference on the original button.

For something that has a cuff with an opening that goes down the arm a bit, like on a denim jacket, I think that would look a lot better since it spreads the tightening over a longer length of the sleeve.

View attachment 526590

Yes, this is what I was expecting might happen. Seems like the "tighter" button is not a practical option. So I guess it's mostly for show?

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Yes, this is what I was expecting might happen. Seems like the "tighter" button is not a practical option. So I guess it's mostly for show?
For this jacket/style of fastening yes. But as I said before, if there is a gap in the sleeve on a denim jacket, it would look much better and be very usable. Also note that the buttons on this RMC are offset (the tighter button is lower rather than being centered) so it also enhances this weird looking shape, also not broken in so stiff leather. I think if it was more broken in it would look better, but I think it is still best for the jacket to have an ideal tightness at the cuff at the standard button. At least this is my own experience with Japanese jackets: Rainbow Country Hercules and RMC Mobster.

AHP91

Practically Family
lol this seller dude!
A little update - the Ebay seller is a vintage business, but all those cool jackets they posted recently come from one collection from a guy in California. Makes sense, they are all around the same size. I asked the reseller to ask the original owner if he knew anything about the jacket. Buy now, ask questions later, I suppose.

Nacho

Practically Family
A little update - the Ebay seller is a vintage business, but all those cool jackets they posted recently come from one collection from a guy in California. Makes sense, they are all around the same size. I asked the reseller to ask the original owner if he knew anything about the jacket. Buy now, ask questions later, I suppose.
I think that guy in California is Michael Manpearl of Pat & Mike. One of the OGs of vintage leather jacket collectors. He passed away two years ago and his wife Pat is selling off his collection. She probably sold some of jackets to this reseller. You might want to talk to @jeo . He talked to Pat during Inspiration LA this year and he has her contact info. She can shed some light on this jacket for you. Hope this helps!

AHP91

Practically Family
I think that guy in California is Michael Manpearl of Pat & Mike. One of the OGs of vintage leather jacket collectors. He passed away two years ago and his wife Pat is selling off his collection. She probably sold some of jackets to this reseller. You might want to talk to @jeo . He talked to Pat during Inspiration LA this year and he has her contact info. She can shed some light on this jacket for you. Hope this helps!

Great information, thanks very much for that.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 526502
View attachment 526503
View attachment 526504
View attachment 526505
View attachment 526506
I was the bidder behind you. If you don't want it let me know. I have no knowledge of the maker. I would agree the lining looked replaced, zipper too?. Dating? post war 40s early 50s. That is the information I had in mind when I bid.

AHP91

Practically Family
I was the bidder behind you. If you don't want it let me know. I have no knowledge of the maker. I would agree the lining looked replaced, zipper too?. Dating? post war 40s early 50s. That is the information I had in mind when I bid.
That was around the age I was guessing as well, Terry. I went ahead and purchased it just before, keeping it will probably mainly depend on how it fits. If I decide to move it on, I will let you know before I return to the seller, if you'd like.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Hey people, anybody knows where I can find a normal O ring zipper pull? I've found ball and chain zipper pulls but cannot find the O ring one. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner