Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AHP91

Practically Family
i am familiar with this jacket from etsy. Yes it is Capeskin, one reason I hesitate. I have a mint Capeskin jacket from this era, very few survive in even the condition of this Block. Capeskin was a very popular leather especially on the West Coast. Light and easy to wear in warmer climates. All the catalogs offered capeskin aviators. This one may be listed in a wards catalog under their label.

They just evaporate. I have a basically unworn Capeskin McGregor I bought for the grommet zipper. It is evaporating and looks unworn.

This is an interesting jacket and in a different hide would be worth their original asking price.

they are delicate.

I just posted a Block police jacket from 1939 in steerhide that has the same back design but with a side buckles. Capeskin is too weak to support the weight of the buckles so they used the pleats for adjustment.

I would buy the brochure!

Thank you Terry

cbez

One Too Many
random but does anyone know if IH japan market jackets are labeled diff than the western specs? i.e. is a japan 38 same as a western 38 for example.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I ask myself that same question because I saw one denim rider in Japan, size 42 but the dims we’re different than IHs dims so I passed.

cbez

One Too Many
what do yall think is the better option for taking in these cuffed type sleeves?

I figure they could take off the cuff, cut the bottom, re-sew, and open the V seam up more but they might be fighting the taper of the sleeve. Is it better to take it from the shoulder???
2320671037319-05.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
what do yall think is the better option for taking in these cuffed type sleeves?

I figure they could take off the cuff, cut the bottom, re-sew, and open the V seam up more but they might be fighting the taper of the sleeve. Is it better to take it from the shoulder???
View attachment 550663
Not shoulder, because of possible mismatch between the armhole and the sleeve circumference and a major and expensive surgery. I guess it depends on how much you want to shorten it by. If by an inch, I would leave the v-seam alone and just cut the cuff. Dena at Great Leather did it for my Vanson Maverick and it came out great.

cbez

One Too Many
Not shoulder, because of possible mismatch between the armhole and the sleeve circumference and a major and expensive surgery. I guess it depends on how much you want to shorten it by. If by an inch, I would leave the v-seam alone and just cut the cuff. Dena at Great Leather did it for my Vanson Maverick and it came out great.

Problem is I def have more than an inch to lose iron heart def doesn't make sleeves for trex like me
20231007_084200.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you don't mind the stitch holes you could open the placket up to what it was before alteration. Or just move the cuffs up and go with no open placket like cuffs on CHP jackets.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Did this jacket had its belt removed? Or was it made this way? Was it normal to mix Crown sleeve zippers with Talon main zippers?

vintage belt remove 01.jpg

vintage belt remove 02.jpg
vintage belt remove 03.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
how do you think of cotton ripstop fabrics as pants? my new fatigue pants is from cotton ripstop, I like how easy wearing and breathy the material is, and while being lightweight and thin yet feels durable and abrasive resistant on its surface, it collects creases like normal cotton pants, however I think the draping is nowhere as natural, I think those square weaving pattern kind of obstructing the natural flow of the fabrics , the material loves to crease horizontally or vertically but they don't memorize diagonal creases as well, and they are very quick drying. How do you think of it if you ever wear this fabrics as pants or other piece of clothing?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have ripstop pull on pants and I like them in the summer time. They're cool to the touch. I find them feel about the same as poplin just seems sturdier, and poplin wrinkles more.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
isn't it a bit noisy, when brushing against each other ? I think that is the biggest minus, it is a very comfy hot weather pants, absorbs moisture well and quickly disperses it to dry, I hope it can fade into mellower tones on exposed areas to have a bit more character to it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
There is some noise when rubbing yes. But compared to squeaky leather its not bad. Really good material for warmer days. I only got the one pair and I wear it all the time. They do bag out like cotton jeans or pants though, I laundry mine after about a week of wear.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

cbez

One Too Many
ya'll ever seen striations like this?? I've seen an occasional mccoy and lost worlds come close.

I would do terrible things for this in my size

IMG-20230414-WA0010.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
What are the characteristics of ponyhide vs horsehide? Is it like calfskin vs steerhide?
I would say that is a good comparison. Lighter weight for Pony and Calf, softer hand. Then it gets to be jacket to jacket thing. You do see a fair amount of Pony hide, but calf skin is seldom seen in vintage jackets. I do have pre-war calfskin jackets and they are a most unique leather. I have a calf skin jacket that I could not identify until I bought a similar Californian that was labeled Calfskin. It stumped me. One of the most unique leathers I have come across.

It is an interesting question. Would be great for a video so you could see the differences. Lot of interesting differences between hides back in the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum