Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

livioli

Familiar Face
Don't worry, your jacket will survive everything you throw at it. There is a clear coating on top, water will bead it doesn't penetrate right away, and it doesn't leave a stain. It's really good horsehide.
View attachment 569967

Oh wow, u got a Ponyboy as well? I thought Dublinpremium was the only person who owned one.

Would you mind telling me more about the top coat? My understanding was that it was an exposed naken hide, since it's aniline finished. (I never understood what aniline meant because if it's translucent then how it the color black etc.?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Oh wow, u got a Ponyboy as well? I thought Dublinpremium was the only person who owned one.

Would you mind telling me more about the top coat? My understanding was that it was an exposed naken hide, since it's aniline finished. (I never understood what aniline meant because if it's translucent then how it the color black etc.?
The only naked hide I have from RC is their nume horse, the raw one that will patina from scratch. All the other RC jackets, black or brown are all finished. So the water will bead and not stain. He sometimes posts his horsehide making photos at the TMY factory in tokyo, all very tiny batches. Check out his instagram.
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0875.jpg

For certain models he would use completely finished hides from the Shinki factory in Himeji, you have to go and see which one uses what hides from the multiple different blogs. But from the looks of things, he uses only the chrome tan Shinkis for the thinner stuff. All the thicker stuff he does it himself at TMY with the additional softening.

discoganya

New in Town
In the spirit of "ask a question" ...

Can someone recommend a leather jacket to me? Specific link please, new or used. Budget say $500

I ride motorcycles and have dedicated adv and commute jackets, but looking for "an around town" jacket that I can wear to a coffee ride

Would rather get something from a Vanson or Langlitz or Aero rather than a moto brand like Revit or Alpinestars

At 6' 2" 190lbs I have a 44 / XL chest and a dad belly :)

I like dark browns or deep reds over black

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Vanson Enfield or Oxford
Langlitz Crescent or Timberline
Aero Highwayman or 1930s Half Belt

Keep searching for these jacket on the used market, one will come up in your size sooner or later.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I got a brand new tailor made g1 style cowhide jacket with removable collar via zipper and buttons.

I love it, BUT maybe i'm just paranoid but i feel like it kind of hurts my neck. the collar feels really hard. I've never had a 100% brand new jacket, everything prior was a hand me down. will it break in over time? I have a heavier b15 with a removable collar too, but with just buttons. I got it already broken in but it's always been too big so i wanted something more form fitting

will it be comfortable over time?

Khilij

One of the Regulars
How is the quality of Cathcart clothing? Some of their stuff looks pretty neat. I searched and found some old positive reviews, but I wanted to see if those still held true.

livioli

Familiar Face
What type of leather finishing is the most durable, and water resistant?

I have a horsehide jacket coming from Shinki, but it's full-aniline so it's naturally more prone to scratches, stains, rain, etc. compared to other finishes. I got it because of the beautiful ageing potential.

For my next jacket, I'd love to have a jacket that is both durable and ages well. What is the compromise? I need a jacket that I can wear on hiking trips under bad weather conditions, like an adventure jacket.

What type of leather finishing is the most durable, and water resistant?

I have a horsehide jacket coming from Shinki, but it's full-aniline so it's naturally more prone to scratches, stains, rain, etc. compared to other finishes. I got it because of the beautiful ageing potential.

For my next jacket, I'd love to have a jacket that is both durable and ages well. What is the compromise? I need a jacket that I can wear on hiking trips under bad weather conditions, like an adventure jacket.
Chrome tanned

livioli

Familiar Face
Chrome tanned
It is my understanding that chrome-tanned doesn't age as beautifully as veg-tanned. Am I wrong? The ageing/patina is probably what I care about the most. Although, I would also love to act like Indiana Jones and beat the hell out of my jacket.

It is my understanding that chrome-tanned doesn't age as beautifully as veg-tanned. Am I wrong? The ageing/patina is probably what I care about the most. Although, I would also love to act like Indiana Jones and beat the hell out of my jacket.
I suppose it depends on a multitude of things but generally chrome tanned leather is more resilient to the elements and age. But it will age.

livioli

Familiar Face
I suppose it depends on a multitude of things but generally chrome tanned leather is more resilient to the elements and age. But it will age.
I see, so it ages, but slower. Last question: do you have any specific tanneries you'd recommend for chrome-tanned leather?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Schott 685 that Is a heavier leather with I believe a cotton or canvas lining With a light Poly fill. Around the cuffs it is shredded and in need of replacement. I have reached out to Dena for a quote to replace the sleeves or the entire liner. I would like to replace the lining with a lighter material, nylon, polyester or whatever the terminology is. Question is, with heavy leather do you need to use the heavier lining for whatever reason ? I do not need insulation.
View attachment 569571

You don't. I'd suggest reaching out to Schott's repairs department; they're quite reasonably priced.

I see, so it ages, but slower. Last question: do you have any specific tanneries you'd recommend for chrome-tanned leather?

I dare say you're best off leaving that to the jacket maker; a good maker will source good materials.

Viking752

Practically Family
You don't. I'd suggest reaching out to Schott's repairs department; they're quite reasonably priced.

I dare say you're best off leaving that to the jacket maker; a good maker will source good materials.
Good idea, to be clear. You are saying it’s not a good idea to use a light weight liner on a heavy leather? Or better to have OEM replace liner?

MrProper

Of the leathers I know myself, Horweens Chromexcel is the most robust. Unfortunately, I don't know Vanson or Schott.

Aloysius

Good idea, to be clear. You are saying it’s not a good idea to use a light weight liner on a heavy leather? Or better to have OEM replace liner?

I'm saying you don't need a heavy insulated liner for a thick jacket. However you probably want (even if uninsulated) a somewhat substantial one because I would think you'd feel all the seams pressing against you through a very thin liner. Something like the cotton drill Schott uses in Perfecto sleeves would work for the full body.

I just mentioned the OEM repairs department because they're very good and reasonably priced. They do lining replacements pretty often including replacing the quilted lining for cotton on fairly new jackets for people who live in hot states.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
How is the quality of Cathcart clothing? Some of their stuff looks pretty neat. I searched and found some old positive reviews, but I wanted to see if those still held true.
I was very surprised at the quality vs my vintage wool half belts. I would tone down the collar and shorten the sleeves. The wool on this jacket is fine and a lot less $ than a vintage jacket.
20231206_122042.jpg
20231206_122055.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925