Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AHP91

Practically Family
This is a beautiful Buco - which model is this? ty

Picture 1 of 10
Picture 8 of 10

jeo

One Too Many
What is/is there a difference between horse and pony hide?

This must be addressed case by case.

Same thing with certain calfskins vs. certain cow/steer hides.

Generally speaking pony will be softer, lighter than horse and calf will be softer lighter than cow/steer. All can be just as grainy or smooth. All can have soft or rough hands.

However…

I recently handled a couple of Fields that have the current pony hide and it was much more thick and stiff than the horsehide on my Field from a couple years ago which has a soft hand, lightweight and is very pliable and almost spongy.

I own a calfskin jacket that is super thick and stiff compared to some really soft and thin calf you can get. It’s veg tan though so that’ll make a difference also as chrome tanned will be more bendy.

I have vintage jackets that are pony and they are soft and delicate. I have other vintage jackets that are pony and it is indistinguishable from horsehide, maybe even thicker and stiffer. My vintage Seattle Woolen pony is some of the thickest leather I’ve ever encountered. When I think of vintage pony though, I think of the soft stuff.

So it really all depends.

jeo

One Too Many
Sold my size 40 for a size 42 Schott 618hh perfecto (it seems I have been undersizing my whole life!) feels so good to move around in this and I can even layer underneath and access the pockets etc. without it being cumbersome.

I got this at Franklin and Poe. I dont know if I am tripping but the snap collar button in the back does not seem like its centered by a hair or so. Am I crazy? would this be grounds to send it back or is it still within tolerance? Reaaalllyyy dont want to deal with the sending it back and forth games.

You’re not crazy, it’s off centered.

I usually say no to stuff like this but in this case IMO, yes, it’s grounds to send it back as it looks like that’s going to affect how a fur collar will fit or not fit onto the jacket if you ever decided you want one.

Edit - sorry just saw you have a fur collar. Can you attach it?

If it doesn’t affect the fit of a collar than it’s just if it bothers you.

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many
So it a treatment, an actual physically different source (young/old animal), or just marketing?

You'd have to ask the maker if they know the answer to that I.e. if it’s actually horse and they are just calling it pony.

But yes, all of the above.

Like I said case by case so it doesn’t really matter. If you’re looking at a certain jacket that has a certain leather (doesn’t matter what it is or called) try and find someone that has experience with said leather and ask about it.

spectre6000

One of the Regulars
Good to know. Thanks!

Along those same lines, what's the deal with the focus on "front quarter" horse hide? I know the shell is in the rear quarter, and that has its own special use case, but is there something special I'm missing? That's only a few square feet...

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sold my size 40 for a size 42 Schott 618hh perfecto (it seems I have been undersizing my whole life!) feels so good to move around in this and I can even layer underneath and access the pockets etc. without it being cumbersome.

I got this at Franklin and Poe. I dont know if I am tripping but the snap collar button in the back does not seem like its centered by a hair or so. Am I crazy? would this be grounds to send it back or is it still within tolerance? Reaaalllyyy dont want to deal with the sending it back and forth games.

Definitely off center. I've seen Schott put jackets into the seconds clearance at the factory sale for much less than this.

I recently handled a couple of Fields that have the current pony hide and it was much more thick and stiff than the horsehide on my Field from a couple years ago which has a soft hand, lightweight and is very pliable and almost spongy.

I've wondered if Field uses 'pony hide' as a term for a different tanning/finishing process rather than specifically the hides of ponies. (The way Schott uses 'steerhide' and 'cowhide' to mean the same hides but pigment-finished vs full aniline naked respectively.)

Because, as you say, his ponyhide is quite substantial and stiff. I don't remember what the website copy said when I originally ordered.

jeo

One Too Many
Back in the day horse rears were used in shoe making and industry. It’d be way too heavy to make garments. They needed to find a use for the fronts and someone discovered that the horse fronts are actually a really good weight for making garments out of. In the 20’s, 30’s, 40s and 50’s front quarter horsehide was the main leather used but quite honestly there was marketing involved there as well. There’s plenty of old steerhide that’s just as nice or nicer than old horsehide. And from the same front parts of the cow/steer.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
You’re not crazy, it’s off centered.

I usually say no to stuff like this but in this case IMO, yes, it’s grounds to send it back as it looks like that’s going to affect how a fur collar will fit or not fit onto the jacket if you ever decided you want one.

Edit - sorry just saw you have a fur collar. Can you attach it?

If it doesn’t affect the fit of a collar than it’s just if it bothers you.

Its a collar for a size 40, I was just trying it on before shipping the 40 and the detachable collar to its new home.

The collar snaps on, but obviously there is a little bit of pull. Unsure if its because of the button not being centered or if its the wrong size. I ordered a collar for a size 42, wondering if that makes a difference,

jeo

One Too Many
Its a collar for a size 40, I was just trying it on before shipping the 40 and the detachable collar to its new home.

The collar snaps on, but obviously there is a little bit of pull. Unsure if its because of the button not being centered or if its the wrong size. I ordered a collar for a size 42, wondering if that makes a difference,
When did you buy and how long do you have to return?

Did you buy in person at F&P?

All I can say is Schott customer service is the best. I’d just return it man. They’ll take it back no questions asked.

jeo

One Too Many
Definitely off center. I've seen Schott put jackets into the seconds clearance at the factory sale for much less than this.

I've wondered if Field uses 'pony hide' as a term for a different tanning/finishing process rather than specifically the hides of ponies. (The way Schott uses 'steerhide' and 'cowhide' to mean the same hides but pigment-finished vs full aniline naked respectively.)

Because, as you say, his ponyhide is quite substantial and stiff. I don't remember what the website copy said when I originally ordered.
Is that term coming from Field or is it coming from Shinki?

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
When did you buy and how long do you have to return?

Did you buy in person at F&P?

All I can say is Schott customer service is the best. I’d just return it man. They’ll take it back no questions asked.

Yeah I bought it in person at f&p, I'll re-engage with Schott, but it seems like they want f&p to handle it. F&p won't take it back because it's been used.

They'll do a replacement though. Meaning I have to return it to f&p, then Schott will send them a new one, then f&p will send it to me. I'll try and see if I can ask Schott to send it to me directly instead. I'm only CONUS until Sunday :(

Edit: honestly, if I get a discount from f&p, I'll keep it lol

• Wow
Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
Yeah I bought it in person at f&p, I'll re-engage with Schott, but it seems like they want f&p to handle it. F&p won't take it back because it's been used.

They'll do a replacement though. Meaning I have to return it to f&p, then Schott will send them a new one, then f&p will send it to me. I'll try and see if I can ask Schott to send it to me directly instead. I'm only CONUS until Sunday :(

What does that mean? Looks brand new to me. I’m going to say something to Andrew next time I see him…that’s eff’d up. Do an exchange.

I’m in Philly, let me know if you need anything.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
What does that mean? Looks brand new to me. I’m going to say something to Andrew next time I see him…that’s eff’d up. Do an exchange.

I’m in Philly, let me know if you need anything.

Their return policy for returns is that it must be unworn with tags attached. I ripped of the tags and worn it already (and its awesome). Unfortunately this defect is on my back so I cant really see it lol up until I tried on the collar. So their solution is to send them this jacket, then they will bring it to schott, and then send me a replacement jacket. To be honest, I think I am entitled to a full refund (federal consumer law) since its a defective product.

I got it yesterday bro, the 4th.

Aloysius

The collars work across neighboring sizes. My collar for a modern 42 fits my modern 40 and my vintage 42 that measures like the modern 40.

Is that term coming from Field or is it coming from Shinki?

I think it's coming from Field, as do Himel's terms for his different types of Shinki (and ditto other makers I'm not as familiar with.)

Shinki calls the pigment-finished veg-tanned leather we usually see "SF Horse", available in brown, black (with brown core), and navy. Their other horsehides are the Nume, which has a wax finish, and Standard, which is dyed through but not waxed or pigment finished. Both of these are available in a range of colors. I wonder if "Standard" is their chrome tanned leather, while the wax finished might be the "pony"?

Aloysius

Edit: honestly, if I get a discount from f&p, I'll keep it lol

That seems pretty crappy; you've had the thing like a few hours tops. I would have expected better from them.

Do not accept a discount. Usually I think partial refunds are a decent deal but a jacket with that issue would sell for $400 tops in the factory sale. Indeed if you send yours back I'll probably see it there this fall. Unless they're giving you like 800 back I would not accept a discount.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
That seems pretty crappy; you've had the thing like a few hours tops. I would have expected better from them.

Do not accept a discount. Usually I think partial refunds are a decent deal but a jacket with that issue would sell for $400 tops in the factory sale. Indeed if you send yours back I'll probably see it there this fall. Unless they're giving you like 800 back I would not accept a discount.

Dude you've followed this saga of mine hahah cant get a break

Edit: HOLY SHIT! Is that how the factory sale rolls? You might see me there next year lol

jeo

One Too Many
Their return policy for returns is that it must be unworn with tags attached. I ripped of the tags and worn it already (and its awesome). Unfortunately this defect is on my back so I cant really see it lol up until I tried on the collar. So their solution is to send them this jacket, then they will bring it to schott, and then send me a replacement jacket. To be honest, I think I am entitled to a full refund (federal consumer law) since its a defective product.

I got it yesterday bro, the 4th.

I would have met up with you had I known.

The tags?! Seriously?

Are you in the area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy