Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dude you've followed this saga of mine hahah cant get a break

Edit: HOLY SHIT! Is that how the factory sale rolls? You might see me there next year lol

In 2022 for example there was a size 40 613SH with no discernible problem whatsoever for $400. Too small for me of course and I already owned my 42. But yeah there are a lot of gems.

The most interesting things imo are the one-offs, sometimes a prototype for a future model or excess from some special ordered run.

But the 'worst case' (so say you didn't find anything in the racks) is still pretty great; you can get a little over 20% off of any stock brand new items.

jeo

One Too Many
I think it's coming from Field, as do Himel's terms for his different types of Shinki (and ditto other makers I'm not as familiar with.)

Shinki calls the pigment-finished veg-tanned leather we usually see "SF Horse", available in brown, black (with brown core), and navy. Their other horsehides are the Nume, which has a wax finish, and Standard, which is dyed through but not waxed or pigment finished. Both of these are available in a range of colors. I wonder if "Standard" is their chrome tanned leather, while the wax finished might be the "pony"?

They are buying leather from Shinki. What they’re buying has to have a name right?, but they’re not using that name and instead making something up?

Doesn’t really matter to me, but if someone really wants to know, maybe they can ask Greg.

Aloysius

They are buying leather from Shinki. What they’re buying has to have a name right?, but they’re not using that name and instead making something up?

I think it's that they're trying to communicate to their customers the differences between the versions of the hides, because Shinki's own naming scheme is close to meaningless. "Standard Leather", "Tanned Leather", "SF Leather", haha.

jeo

One Too Many
I think it's that they're trying to communicate to their customers the differences between the versions of the hides, because Shinki's own naming scheme is close to meaningless. "Standard Leather", "Tanned Leather", "SF Leather", haha.

The language barrier and stupid Japanese naming shouldn’t prevent them from being able to communicate with Shinki and understand what they are buying and then selling…or at least I’d hope it doesn’t prevent them.

I think if Greg is calling it pony, then it’s pony.

As for marketing, is pony more exotic and appealing than horse lol?

Aloysius

The language barrier and stupid Japanese naming shouldn’t prevent them from being able to communicate with Shinki and understand what they are buying and then selling…or at least I’d hope it doesn’t prevent them.

I think if Greg is calling it pony, then it’s pony.

As for marketing, is pony more exotic and appealing than horse lol?

To be clear I'm not suggesting anything untoward by Greg or Dave in this. Just riffing on your own experiences with pony v horse labeled leathers.

I think the more frustrating thing for them with Shinki would be the inconsistency. It's one thing when the batch variance means one cool color rather than the next shade over; more annoying when one batch looks lifeless compared to the last.

Pony does sound kind of cool lol.

cbez

One Too Many
a pony is literally just a small horse. a lot of times there are just traditional differences in how things are tanned that give it more character.

jeo

One Too Many
1707192850610.gif

Oldclothes

New in Town
If you've got a quick jacket question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about fit, design, patterns, choice of leather, makers, hardware etc,. this is the place.
Can anyone help ID this jacket? There are no tags. There is a tiny bit of red gold and black thread where the original tag was sewn on. I can’t seem to find anything else like it.

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1599.jpeg
    IMG_1599.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1602.jpeg
    IMG_1602.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 35

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 586389 View attachment 586390
A few years ago rainbow country did this run of 'busted shrink' horsehide. Looks sick. Reminds me of the honeycomb shinki horsebutt but more shrunken in the tanning process obviously.

Anyone know of similarly tanned horsehides? I know bison and water buffalo often get tanned like this but haven't seen it in hh besides this.

IMG_1988.jpeg

I saw this shrunken horse when I visited Thedi’s shop/showroom in September last year. Lovely stuff.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Ok. What would you like to happen here? Will you be returning it Saturday?
I'm going to send it back today, I'll just have to wait. And yeah talking to Luke to see if he can talk to Schott to just send me a replacement directly

Reactions: jeo

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I believe pony simply refers to the riding height of the horse, under 14 hands.

Shinki trims their FQHH different than Horween. Horween does mostly double fronts with all the perimeter trims still attached. Shinki trims them right after the base tanning and does mostly single fronts. Very high yields, just like Badalassi.

There is a tannage from Shinki called “WP”. Ive never bought this tannage before and the p might stand for pony. I had Greg’s pony Shinki jacket, it’s very soft, dyed through, with a light topcoat.

I have bought all the browns and greens from the standard Shinki lineup. It’s their basic full aniline dyed through naked leather.

AFAIK all the Shinki stock tannage uses the wet white base. The only two wet blue base tannage are the thin ones they use for down vest in Japan and suede.

If you can order couple pallets loads you can get custom tannage. The only one I know that have done this is Himels mid brown, he might have shared the buy with other indie makers I don’t know. Tannery barrel is 1000lbs capacity, it’s too much for one indie maker to take the whole lot.

I think for small batch productions the pigment Shinki will yield the best finished results. To have a high grade finished jacket from aniline leather you’d really need a lot more hides to select from while cutting, and the smaller jacket makers just can’t afford to put so much money into leather inventory.

IMG_1019.jpeg

jeo

One Too Many
I'm going to send it back today, I'll just have to wait. And yeah talking to Luke to see if he can talk to Schott to just send me a replacement directly
Ok so mailing it I’m assuming. I always like to do things in person and I would have gladly met you there. Wouldn’t be able to guarantee anything but that I’d raise hell and let Andrew know what I think of his stupid return policy. Tags? That’s ridiculous, you can put tags back, it’s a brand new jacket.

Let me know if you need anything man.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Ok so mailing it I’m assuming. I always like to do things in person and I would have gladly met you there. Wouldn’t be able to guarantee anything but that I’d raise hell and let Andrew know what I think of his stupid return policy. Tags? That’s ridiculous, you can put tags back, it’s a brand new jacket.

Let me know if you need anything man.
Appreciate you fam, sent you a DM

cbez

One Too Many
Maryam has a similar looking version of their own shrunken horsehides as Shinki. This is a picture of shrunken horsebutt I got for Benzein/Briselblack, probably too tough for jackets.

View attachment 587844
Cool! I think shinki really nailed the shrink with their hb. Enough to add character but not veering off into goofy exotic leather territory. (Sorry bison lovers).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy