Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe you need to explore a radically different style?

That’s how I ended up with a fringed cafe racer...

I do have one saved up for GW...;) I even sourced an old Navajo buckle for it...
@ton312’s blue/green is amazing, but I think I’m over CXL. Now I want a substantial mid-weight pliable luxurious hide that makes me feel like a million bucks.

You need deerskin, or moosehide

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hot water treatment to shape the collar... @Jin431 could you please explain how exactly you do this? Maybe the instructions already existed and I missed them. Then sorry and the link please ;-)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
You have only just started. Better order another dozen hangers. That should hold you for another couple of years.
I know right, I only just started the leather jacket game. But I also have about 25 coats and I need to compete in wardrobe / rail space with my gf. I already occupy 80% :)

dlite90

Familiar Face
What is the function of this little collar strap seen on many halfbelts like the original Hercules?

I’m guessing it’s for when you’re standing your collar up to shield from the wind, but I don’t know.

Attachments

• 0C274ECE-91D3-4A09-9734-5C411E608C27.jpeg
    0C274ECE-91D3-4A09-9734-5C411E608C27.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 338

Hh121

Banned
Is it normal that when you stretch the seam you see more thread exposed? I am concerned it will eventually break.
PXL_20210201_012115213.jpg
PXL_20210201_022856902.jpg

Last edited:

Pandemic

One Too Many
What is the function of this little collar strap seen on many halfbelts like the original Hercules?

I’m guessing it’s for when you’re standing your collar up to shield from the wind, but I don’t know.

Or a bit of artifice and decoration for those of us who rarely need to zip out jackets up. You’ll see them on trad English tweed jackets and Americana work shirts as well.

I really like the look of this one:

D2DF6D70-65A0-49F4-8D33-D94F93923D7B.jpeg

EB1E7AB6-63CD-4D24-A325-61A919956E06.jpeg

Pandemic

One Too Many
Wow..that orange-ish contrast stitching looks very good on that jacket. Sets it off from a distance. I do like !!
HD

Right??

I keep coming back to that jacket and loving it. I just can’t shake it and I’m not even sure exactly what it is about it. The contrast stitching, the simple design, the waist band and the throat latch. Everything I read about BK’s Liberty leather is pretty meh, but I’m still thinking of seeing if someone else can make me something like that in Horween Milan.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I keep thinking I am satisfied with my collection for a couple months, then I get bitten by another bug. I have 5 right now and that has been my number for around a year, but I will have a 6th soon as well. I doubt I would be able to go above 10, but never say never.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Hot water treatment to shape the collar... @Jin431 could you please explain how exactly you do this? Maybe the instructions already existed and I missed them. Then sorry and the link please ;-)

Per instructions by @handymike, you would run hot tap water on the underside of the collar until it feels softer/pliable. Dry excess water, put on the jacket and shape it as you see fit. When you have it where you want it you just set it down to dry.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I keep thinking I am satisfied with my collection for a couple months, then I get bitten by another bug. I have 5 right now and that has been my number for around a year, but I will have a 6th soon as well. I doubt I would be able to go above 10, but never say never.
Personally, I think it's better to have 5 jackets that you absolutely love than to have 15 jackets which are ok. Quality over quantity. Unless you're collecting of course. That's a different story.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I think it's better to have 5 jackets that you absolutely love than to have 15 jackets which are ok. Quality over quantity. Unless you're collecting of course. That's a different story.
Oh I agree. My point is more that I can't say for sure how many jackets I will end up with. I will have a 6th soon and I don't actually have any plans for a new jacket, but who knows what will actually happen.

Overall, I am very happy with my collection. I do think I will want another Freewheelers in time, though.

I feel fortunate to have found ( after all these years) the main brands that have the fit, finish and style that I like the most. I happily settled on a tan Buffalo Thedi button up and gray/brown cross zip, kept a battered tan Aero Teamster and a black comp steer Vanson Enfield. Four jackets that now meet all my needs. I don't care to be a collector anymore, only a wearer. I can grab either one of these leather jackets and feel comfortable.
HD

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

The throat tab is not common on vintage half-belts. I see it on the original Hercules as a bit of aviator, work wear look on a jacket that is neither. A useful, but not necessary feature on a half-belt from the 30s. A bit of marketing then and now.

I do have a throat tab on my BK Dodger, like the one pictured. It is very useful, plus buttons out of the way. I have a standard throat tab on my Lost Worlds Test. I've used that.

The throat latch does serve a useful purpose on motorc

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I feel fortunate to have found ( after all these years) the main brands that have the fit, finish and style that I like the most. I happily settled on a tan Buffalo Thedi button up and gray/brown cross zip, kept a battered tan Aero Teamster and a black comp steer Vanson Enfield. Four jackets that now meet all my needs. I don't care to be a collector anymore, only a wearer. I can grab either one of these leather jackets and feel comfortable.
HD
You're the first person I think of now when I think of someone who has achieved the equivalent of leather jacket Nirvana. I hope to reach that point one day, but I feel like I still have more exploring and learning to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points