Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Logician

One of the Regulars
I have a second hand jacket that looks just like this one in CXL HH with green wool tartan lining that I paid only $25 Canadian because the pockets are perforated. Here are two old photos. I have since treated the jacket with Leatherique, which darkened the jacket quite a bit. Yours is beautiful.
8614m1f_20.jpg
83653a5_20.jpg

Last edited:

air

One of the Regulars
Is fabric turned stiff by crazy glue more resistant than fabric that is still soft?
I wondered the same thing recently, the Talon on my B2 lost the thin transparent plastic the was glued on the tape, both sides of the male insertion pin. I thought about soaking that area in super glue to make it stronger, but then i worried that maybe it would have more chance of tearing/breaking if it was stiff?

Maybe we should soak cotton and poly fabric in super glue and then have some sort of tear test comparing it to the pre soak fabric?
There are glues that are flexible when dried, like the one used to glue soles to shoes, there are even special glues for leather.
If you are in contact with any jacket makers or leather repair services, they should know which glue works best.
Always test the glue with some scraps before using it on the real thing.

Glue resources:
https://www.libertyleathergoods.com/leather-glue/
https://www.reference.com/world-view/glue-use-working-leather-4d8157d33d609736
https://www.hardwarestorelab.com/best-glue-for-leather/
https://leather-toolkits.com/reviews/best-glue-for-leather/

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have a second hand jacket that looks just like this one in CXL HH with green wool tartan lining that I paid only 25$ Canadian because the pockets are perforated. Here are two old photos. I have since treated the jacket with Leatherique, which darkened the jacket quite a bit. Yours is beautiful. View attachment 298433 View attachment 298434

Dena could also re-line these pockets as well. Nice jacket here Logician - BTW :)

Is it a good idea to preemptively reinforce a jacket’s male insertion pin with crazy glue to avoid separation from the tape down the road?

I can tell you from my experience with zippers, leather and crazy glue do not try this. I have had customers come into our shop and tell me the zipper was separating from the tape and they tried crazy glue and the results were a disaster. The crazy glue made the tape stiff and cracked the leather as well by the tape. We had to replace the zipper and try to patch the leather and left tell tale signs of the repair. Hope my two cents helps.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
What is the origin and meaning of the terms single riders (cafe racer?) and double riders (cross zip?) I never knew and I want to know so thanks in advance

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I can tell you from my experience with zippers, leather and crazy glue do not try this. I have had customers come into our shop and tell me the zipper was separating from the tape and they tried crazy glue and the results were a disaster. The crazy glue made the tape stiff and cracked the leather as well by the tape. We had to replace the zipper and try to patch the leather and left tell tale signs of the repair. Hope my two cents helps.
good to know. My "new" Cal has got a frayed pin and was starting to think about what can I do to stop or at least slow down the process.

It's crazy with all this technology we live with today; I mean we have all the libraries in the world in the palm of our hand with a microchip the size of a postage stamp, and there doesn't seem to be a way to fix the frayed tip of a zip without replacing the whole thing? Something wrong with this equation.

air

One of the Regulars
Is branded garments still in business, and do they have a website? I think I read a comment here that they are still making jackets but a few searches have turned up nothing. I'm looking to get a second hand jacket by them and want to get an idea on what's a good price.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Is branded garments still in business, and do they have a website? I think I read a comment here that they are still making jackets but a few searches have turned up nothing. I'm looking to get a second hand jacket by them and want to get an idea on what's a good price.

Branded Leather Inc in NY is what you are looking for, I believe. They are still in business. They had a website, but it does not appear to be functional anymore.

They produce a number of different styles. For their really heavy CHPs or NYPD jackets, I think somewhere around $200-$300 might be reasonable. For their cross zips, I have seen them sell often at $150 and below, so I would not consider anything above that unless there was something that really justified it. Also note that there are a number of Branded jackets on ebay that are being listed by proxy sellers, like this one.

Reactions: air

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Branded Leather Inc in NY is what you are looking for, I believe. They are still in business. They had a website, but it does not appear to be functional anymore.

They produce a number of different styles. For their really heavy CHPs or NYPD jackets, I think somewhere around $200-$300 might be reasonable. For their cross zips, I have seen them sell often at $150 and below, so I would not consider anything above that unless there was something that really justified it. Also note that there are a number of Branded jackets on ebay that are being listed by proxy sellers, like this one.
Ditto this.

I have a CHP style one I tried selling for $225 here. That's what I bought it for off ebay with all the tax and shipping all in. I got a few queries but nothing finalized. So I'd say 175-200 is fair market value.

Now in my opinion, they worth at least $350-400 (i.e. what most Schott and Vanson go for) but they don't have the name recognition. So that's why I decided not to sell mine in the end because I was essentially going to sell it for a loss to go buy something more expensive that wasn't worth anything more in terms of quality, etc.

There's been a lot of posts on them lately, but bottom line, they are great jackets. I think the newer ones might not be as nice leather, but the one I got is like fashionable flak jacket. I feel invincible wearing that thing. It's way overkill for me because I don't ride, but it's super comfortable, soft, and simple really. Zipper is like the size of my index finger.

Reactions: air

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Ditto this.
I have a CHP style one I tried selling for $225 here. That's what I bought it for off ebay with all the tax and shipping all in. I got a few queries but nothing finalized. So I'd say 175-200 is fair market value.

Now in my opinion, they worth at least $350-400 (i.e. what most Schott and Vanson go for) but they don't have the name recognition. So that's why I decided not to sell mine in the end because I was essentially going to sell it for a loss to go buy something more expensive that wasn't worth anything more in terms of quality, etc.

There's been a lot of posts on them lately, but bottom line, they are great jackets. I think the newer ones might not be as nice leather, but the one I got is like fashionable flak jacket. I feel invincible wearing that thing. It's way overkill for me because I don't ride, but it's super comfortable, soft, and simple really. Zipper is like the size of my index finger.

I am looking for a Branded Garments cross zip or CHP or Police style in a size 50 or fits like a size 50 or XXL. Thank You

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I am looking for a Branded Garments cross zip or CHP or Police style in a size 50 or fits like a size 50 or XXL. Thank You
mine is size 42. I've seen some cool size 50 stuff though lately. Let me double check my ebay history. I'll send you links if I find anything. Can't recall if it was a branded though.

air

One of the Regulars

Thanks, this is very useful information that really can't be found anywhere else :p. Saved me some money too, since I was about to offer a bit too much for one with some flaws.

Ditto this.

I saw your beast in the classifieds ;), I am the same height as you, but sadly much scrawnier. The 23 p2p is too large for me, I think 22 is the limit for me, and that's being generous. This will be my first leather jacket and I'm just hoping my measurements were accurate enough. With some luck a size 40 should fit me almost everywhere, and I can put on some muscle if (when) the chest and waist are too large. Or so I keep telling myself :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112