Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

That has also been my experience, they get slightly darker for a couple months, and then one day they just look like it never happened.

El Marro, hughesovka and Seb Lucas like this.
  2. Riu

Riu Practically Family

I want to purchase an Aero Board Racer but the sleeves are a bit long as well as the overall length - about an inch, the rest of the measurements seem just right. Have you got any alterations done to your jackets? Just wondering if it's worth it.

3. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

working on leather is tricky. requires thicker needle, better sewing machine, etc. They also have to try and match previous holes. I've had more luck with people who had upholstery experience.

that being said, it's doable. Will probably cost you at least $75-100 to shorten the sleeves with anyone worth their salt. You can try asking Aero to do it.

I've had 3 jackets tailored for various issues. The fit of them improved substantially, and glad I did it and felt like I got value out of it, but there's always a missed detail that bugs me (missed holes, thread doesn't match, etc.). Much rather have waited to get a jacket that fit me from the start now having gone through it.

El Marro, Carlos840 and Riu like this.
  4. Riu

Riu Practically Family

That's what I thought, I sent Aero an email asking if they can do it and waiting for an answer but I thought I would ask about other people's experiences with leather alterations. Thank you for your answer, I'll see what Aero says and take it from there.

5. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

How long is the body length? I think I've read somewhere that the board racer style is meant to be worn slightly longer as compared to the café racer.

6. Riu

Riu Practically Family

It says the back is 24.75" , the jacket is listed as size 38 and for me normally 36 would fit better but the chest and shoulders seem just perfect by measurements. I'm quite excited to get my hands on it.

I've just measured a jacket I have but with a thick lining and actually has got the same measurements as the Aero I want to buy. Now I'm not sure what to do :)

Jin431, AeroFan_07 and Marc mndt like this.
  7. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

^^ They might send ti to you (if buying from them direct) and let you try it on, then send back for adjustments if needed. in these (covid) times more places are open that that as travel and direct contact is discouraged.

Riu likes this.
  8. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

Maybe you could just wear it for some time first. See how you like it.

Carlos840 and Riu like this.
  9. Riu

Riu Practically Family

I'll see what they say, it would be nice to try it and see how it fits. I'd really like to get on an Aero and this one seems quite alright.

By the way, how does Chromexcel age? I've heard different opinions from different people. Would it be better to look for a veg tan?

Jin431 likes this.
  10. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Hope this will still work out for you in next time as Scotland is completely shut down at the moment.

Riu likes this.
  11. Kubatu

Kubatu One of the Regulars

Apart from Branded Garments, LW, and Vanson (CW), what are some makers that consistently create thick, heavy jackets? Setting up an automated ebay search and I'm curious what to throw on there. Already have a search set up for Cal, but I would probably add them otherwise.

12. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Cxl does change but it depends on how hard you wear your jacket really. Do you want something that will look the same after years of wear or something that will show wear/patina?

Riu likes this.
  13. high-maintenance

high-maintenance One of the Regulars

Hi this is my SB jacket.
    I chose Clayton HH (not vintage, regular) and I really dig the jacket generally.

But I have this whitish plaque (first pic) on the jacket which can be rubbed against. (second pic)
    By the look and smell, they are definitely not molds.

I guess it is wax remnants but was wondering if anyone knows exactly what this is.

Calling out people who own Clayton horsehide.

Thank you

111.png 222.png

14. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

leather bloom, sometime salt from sweat too.

AeroFan_07 likes this.
  15. high-maintenance

high-maintenance One of the Regulars

This is the first time I've seen these things on jackets I own. It's been like this since I got them. (since day 1)
    Thanks for the info.

16. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Didn't we do this one before too? :D

Have you wiped your jacket down with a damp cloth and soap or some diluted vinegar? White deposits on jackets is normal but leaving it there is not. Unless it won't come off.

17. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I once had such a white fog on a jacket that I had greased but had not been wearing for a long time. I then warmed the jacket with a hair dryer and at the same time rubbed everything in again with a cloth. After that everything looked fine again.

18. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Some leathers are hot stuffed with fats and waxes, the leather absorbes a certain amount when it is warm.
    When the leather is exposed to colder temperatures, it contracts and pushes waxes back to the surface, this is called "blooming", all it is is a thin coat of fat/wax that has found it's way back to the surface.
    Jut polish it off with a damp cloth.

Or it could be a rare form of leather asbestos.... I'm not sure...

jonbuilder, AeroFan_07, Shine and 3 others like this.
  19. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab