Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stupid awesome or plain dumb to have a detachable collar added to this bad boy?
I've been liking the Cal look recently and this is basically a Cal to my eyes.

View attachment 318138

yes, why not? Go for it.
you are only think about because the optics, right? because I can't imagine it is being functional. the jacket seems to be a t-shirt only jacket and too tight to wear a warm lining? only the collar will not make the jacket warmer. So it could be only optic ;)

nattevagten

A-List Customer
What's the minimum chest ease allowance you could go for with FQHH or CXL steer without having to endure immense suffering while breaking it in? Talking about a new jacket, with a board racer, Seven, or a cafe racer in mind.

My current FQHH jacket (bought used) has a two-inch chest ease allowance and it feels quite good, but I'm honestly not sure I could break in a new jacket with that kind of chest measurement.

Last edited:

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
yes, why not? Go for it.
you are only think about because the optics, right? because I can't imagine it is being functional. the jacket seems to be a t-shirt only jacket and too tight to wear a warm lining? only the collar will not make the jacket warmer. So it could be only optic ;)

That's correct, it's mostly for optics to enhance the look and to make it a little different. I don't ride and there's no snow here but this jacket has enough room for a hoodie or a sweater if it does get chilly.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Do it @Jin431!
Custom Freewheelers is a whole new level!

I just might if I don't find something else to mouton collar on lol
I do feel this jacket with the spread collar will look those old Cals with the detachable collar on so it got me thinking. . .
Plus I haven't seen a Mulholland with that addition yet hmmmmmm

Reactions: TG3
What's the minimum chest ease allowance you could go for with FQHH or CXL steer without having to endure immense suffering while breaking it in? Talking about a new jacket, with a board racer, Seven, or a cafe racer in mind.

My current FQHH jacket (bought used) has a two-inch chest ease allowance and it feels quite good, but I'm honestly not sure I could break in a new jacket with that kind of chest measurement.
2in sounds about right to me. My chest is 39” mid-breath, and my Seven had a 21” pit to pit measurement. On some jackets I can get away with 20.5” p-to-p, but with heavier hides I like some wiggle room.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
yes, why not? Go for it.
Likely so but it is still better than the ANJ3-A, M-422A and G-1 because the Muholland has a wool lining. My fd and I were talking about the ANJ-3A last night and agreed that it is not easy to find the right weather for it. He has the TM Bugs Bunny ANJ-3A and I have the RM plain ANJ-3A and M-422A.
Incidentally, I put the mouton collar from my Al's leather CHP on my original Buco J-24L and it fits. Even though the snaps are in different position, the mouton collar is still held in place by the spear point lapel. That save me the trouble of custom ordering a mouton collar. The Muholland with the wide collar however may need a properly fitted mouton collar with the snaps. My Al's leather CHP with the mouton collar does not even have quilted lining, it has a plain silk lining so the collar is also just for the look so might as well put it on my quilted J-24L.

dwilson

A-List Customer
I've never owned a leather jacket with button cuffs. That feels like it would be a pretty big failure point with thick leather pressing against it. Does the thread on the button wear out fairly often or is it generally pretty resilient?

Pandemic

One Too Many
I've never owned a leather jacket with button cuffs. That feels like it would be a pretty big failure point with thick leather pressing against it. Does the thread on the button wear out fairly often or is it generally pretty resilient?

In my case, although they were functional cuffs, I never undid them so they remained strong and in place for five plus years. That said, I think cuff snaps look better on a jacket with a zip front.

upload_2021-3-15_11-11-16.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Button Cuff lasted 80 years on this Goatskin jacket. Notice the inner Cuff for rolling up.

DSC06561.jpg

This is the most unusual snap cuff on a very heavy Police Jacket. Snaps work much better on the Heavy Horsehide

DSC08813.jpg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Do it! Mouton is becoming your defined look and it suits your!
I know man, moutons are just cool! I thought you were going to place one on your FL lol

I'll message JL with collar photos to see if it's doable in a way that the snaps are not so exposed. The collar spreads so much compared to the Cal so I'm a little curious how they would go about to place the snaps.

This jacket is such great fit. It's perfect. I'm jealous :)
Thanks man! It's up there with the FL custom in terms of fit and it's off the rack so that's absolutely cracking. The shoulder construction on this is near perfect for range of motion. I can raise both my arms up over my head and not be hindered at all. I think you will enjoy wearing this, Marc.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'll message JL with collar photos to see if it's doable in a way that the snaps are not so exposed. The collar spreads so much compared to the Cal so I'm a little curious how they would go about to place the snaps.
can't they do it with leather loops and small buttons instead of snaps, small buttons can be sewn to the lining near the base of the collar around the collar inside with several loops from the mouton sleeve edge reaching to them. won't leave any marks on the leather.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
those button cuff is never tight around your wrist unlike MC zipped cuff, you probably won't stress them ever.

But I wonder why on leather jacket outside of denim jacket style, they never use metal buttons, I mean donuts in brass or copper might look great and patina well on leather jacket too, why jump from traditional button straight to snap I wonder, sometime snaps look too small.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
can't they do it with leather loops and small buttons instead of snaps, small buttons can be sewn to the lining near the base of the collar around the collar inside with several loops from the mouton sleeve edge reaching to them. won't leave any marks on the leather.

Great suggestion! That's actually what got me thinking otherwise of having the snaps placed on the leather. I can imagine it like the Thedi detachable collar! Thanks @navetsea

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Great suggestion! That's actually what got me thinking otherwise of having the snaps placed on the leather. I can imagine it like the Thedi detachable collar! Thanks @navetsea
or several slim tabs with button hole to lay flatter against your trapezius if loop is too bulky and uncomfortable.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
or several slim tabs with button hole to lay flatter against your trapezius if loop is too bulky and uncomfortable.

Can you show me an example of it? I can't imagine this other option.

Okay my local leather maker can do the collar with buttons so I'm going for that option instead of snaps!

Thanks again, man

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Can you show me an example of it? I can't imagine this other option.

Okay my local leather maker can do the collar with buttons so I'm going for that option instead of snaps!

Thanks again, man
I mean like small leather collar tab, or epaulette, leather tongue with button hole on the center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo