Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Can anyone explain how to use the Ozone machine to get rid of musty smells in a jacket?
Also, are there any recommendations on inexpensive models that work?
Thanks.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone explain how to use the Ozone machine to get rid of musty smells in a jacket?
Thanks.
Is the Brooks that bad?

I simply put jackets outside in direct sunlight. That does help to get rid of musty smell.

FE6DA682-F181-48F9-9219-52032BBA8D16.jpeg
90D421D0-52C9-45DE-9E07-23B2C9532E48.jpeg

Well, I washed it and it still smells a bit. Once it’s done drying I will put it outside and spray it with vinegar, but I’m looking into options.
The downside to the British seller I got it from is that the jackets always come with a scent of Jolly England ;).

Thanks.

I've used Ozium (I like the Black Carbon but the standard Ozium also is good). Enclosed space or bag and spray the Ozium. Leave overnight. Then outside in the sun during the day. Repeat as needed.

I too would like to know the best way to use an Ozone machine.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Well, I washed it and it still smells a bit. Once it’s done drying I will put it outside and spray it with vinegar, but I’m looking into options.
The downside to the British seller I got it from is that the jackets always come with a scent of Jolly England ;).
The downside with MV is that all the jackets he sells are in 'superb' 'stunning' or 'excellent' vintage condition. Even though they have clear issues. His statements on condition aren't worth that much.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
air it out, inside out. little vinegar/water mix maybe too. Took years to get that smell, might take a while to get it out. My Levis trucker came with about a gallon of Drakkar Noir. Took about 5 washes with dawn and a good 3 weeks airing to almost get it all away. Good thing I was ok abusing that jacket, otherwise I might have been afraid to treat it so badly LOL.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I'll just echo what's above. I've bought dozens of used waxed canvas jackets and kit over the years - always prone to that musty smell. Sunlight, vinegar and patience will reduce the smell by 90% if not eliminate it.

Hang or lay it outside in sunlight, inside-out, after spritzing the inside in white vinegar. Pay particular attention to the seams and areas mildew will lodge.

You can also use some isopropyl alcohol and a cloth to gently rub it down (again, inside only and focusing on seams).

For cigarette smells, place it in a ziploc bag with a bunch of dryer sheets. No harm in also putting it in the freezer as well, though that is unlikely to kill bacteria causing odors.

Cornelius

Practically Family
The downside with MV is that all the jackets he sells are in 'superb' 'stunning' or 'excellent' vintage condition. Even though they have clear issues. His statements on condition aren't worth that much.

Is this the ubiquitous eBay seller of leather & shearling jackets who always has the same disclaimer IN ALL CAPS ABOUT HOW OPINIONS ARE SUBJECTIVE AND MY OPINION AS TO CONDITION IS MINE AND YOURS MAY DIFFER, etc? That alone has always turned me off from even considering a purchase.

I forgot to mention that I've also had success with either OdoBan Spray or Griot's Odor Neutralizing Leather cleaner. I have both in my closet for the next smelltastrophe. Lightly spray on the leather, let it sit for 20 minutes, then wipe down. I also leave the jacket in the sun but put it through its paces with the spray. They do work. As long as the smell is not a slap yo momma type of odor. Those jackets I just return to seller.

Once the odor is gone I clean and condition normally. Good as new.

willyto

One Too Many
well, once it fully dried it wasn't so bad...It is out in the sun for the next 2 days...so far, after 2 doses of vinegar and 4.5 hours tanning, the stench is almost completely gone.
I couldn't do that with one of my jackets from them.

It ended up in the bin. It was unwearable, couldn't be saved. Even when hand washed and properly dried mold started to appear everywhere and the reek was even worse.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do you guys think about the Bridge City Rider jacket by Headwind? It's caught my eye recently.

https://www.headwindmfg.com/bridge-city-rider.html
4bf782e6cf5cbe0325e23eb024ee70ec

c922730621f54807a36e7704d80167e5
If you like it, what speaks against it? However, I would recommend asking the VLJ forum on this matter and forming your own opinion. 1. the company is discussed there and 2. the company owner is represented there, 3. there are some of the company's customers there.

I couldn't do that with one of my jackets from them.

It ended up in the bin. It was unwearable, couldn't be saved. Even when hand washed and properly dried mold started to appear everywhere and the reek was even worse.
I’m really sorry to hear that @willyto. The guy has fantastic drool-worthy jackets, but there is a always a risk with this seller between the sizing, mold, dark photos that don’t show the details and issues, and crumpled leather I should probably block him out... I am thrilled with my jacket in the end though. Thanks to info gathered here and friendly advice from forum members about washing, etc this jacket has a new life :) out from the dungeon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo