Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Great addition. I agree, a relaxed fit can be just as flattering as a trim fit.

Some people take "relaxed fit" to extremes, a relaxed fit shouldn't look 2 sizes too big.

Size 42, what i would call regular fit, i can wear it with a t-shirt only or with a regular jumper:

cVxi1Aa.jpg

9HANIoW.jpg

Size 44, relaxed fit, i can wear two regular jumpers or a thick hand knitted jumper comfortably:

fyinRae.jpg

bCviYka.jpg

It is IMO possible to have a relaxed fit without a jacket looking massively oversized.

To me a relaxed fit is only about layering, not comfort.
Comfort is more related to pattern design than sizing IMO.

“Forums are dying and I don't suppose SF is getting as many new people as it used to, everyone going over to other social media platforms. I mean, even TikTok is kinda old now and TFL just barely began shuffling toward Instagram.”

I find this interesting. Especially during the last year, I have visited this forum nearly everyday, and it has helped me feel connected with you all. Bouncing and sharing thoughts and ideas.
I really don’t feel the need to 1 sidedly “show off” to the world about how great my meal was, or how my weekend was better than yours. I have come into phase 2 or 3 of social media. Post what I need to for my business, then get off.
Social media is isolating our society IMO, not bringing people together. People spend more time “connecting” with their phone than with others. To what end?
Thank you Facebook algorithm for really stoking peoples narcissism and messing with us.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm not too sensitive on sleeve and body length since wearing denim jacket, but your roughout seems like someone removed the cuff?

I can tell by the wear and the stitching that sleeve length is original.

Here's a link to a Levi's sherpa lined trucker from the 50s. Same sleeve width and length. Apparently that's how they were worn back then. In the 60s they narrowed the sleeves and added cuffs.

B72F7F0D-EABF-496B-940B-ECA84340356D.jpeg

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Im considering a vest with side laces but it’s smaller than what I normally would wear, not sure how much give the laces provide.

Anyone experienced with side laces on a vest?

I know it’s somewhat subjective, but how much leeway do they give before it starts getting too loose?

Any relevant experience with side laces on jackets to help shed light here?

Edit to add- I’d need to gain about 1.5-1.75 ish inches from each side with the laces to fit properly. Doesn’t sound too bad in my head but I have no practical experience with it

Last edited:
Im considering a vest with side laces but it’s smaller than what I normally would wear, not sure how much give the laces provide.

I know it’s somewhat subjective, but how much leeway do they give before it starts getting too loose?

Any relevant experience with side laces on jackets to help shed light here?

Edit to add- I’d need to gain about 1.5-1.75 ish inches from each side with the laces to fit properly. Doesn’t sound too bad in my head but I have no practical experience with it

Is it the kind of vest with leather panel under laces or without? If latter, like on the photo below, there's virtually no limit to how much leeway laces will provide if, of course, they're long enough.

1141%20Mens%20Side%20Lace%20Vest.gif

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Is it the kind of vest with leather panel under laces or without? If latter, like on the photo below, there's virtually no limit to how much leeway laces will provide if, of course, they're long enough.

1141%20Mens%20Side%20Lace%20Vest.gif
Yeah it looks like the one you pictured. Thanks.

I like the sound of virtually no limit lol.

I see myself 40 years from now, beer belly, jackets no longer fit and have been moved on, but one remaining piece can still do me proud.

Yeah it looks like the one you pictured. Thanks.

I like the sound of virtually no limit lol.

I see myself 40 years from now, beer belly, jackets no longer fit and have been moved on, but one remaining piece can still do me proud.

Lol, you've literally described 99% of the bikers I know. Anyway, something I've learned from one such dude (tho, I hope it's also something I won't ever have use for); 'cause it's tough to find really long leather laces, what he did was scavenge his old lace-up leather trousers and just used the laces on a vest.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Lol, you've literally described 99% of the bikers I know. Anyway, something I've learned from one such dude (tho, I hope it's also something I won't ever have use for); 'cause it's tough to find really long leather laces, what he did was scavenge his old lace-up leather trousers and just used the laces on a vest.

Fingers crossed we never have to go there, but will cross that bridge if I get to it heh.

now I just have to decide if the shoulders will be too narrow looking or the other dimensions won’t work out.

As for getting long laces, there is a maker called Guarded Goods that sells leather boot laces and you can get them in any length you want. A gem from my time at the goodyearwelt Reddit.

Fingers crossed we never have to go there, but will cross that bridge if I get to it heh.

now I just have to decide if the shoulders will be too narrow looking or the other dimensions won’t work out.

As for getting long laces, there is a maker called Guarded Goods that sells leather boot laces and you can get them in any length you want. A gem from my time at the goodyearwelt Reddit.

IMO you can't have too narrow a shoulders on a leather vest. Too wide, yeah and that absolutely kills it but narrow... Can't see how. They mustn't poke a single millimetre over your shoulder line.

roadking04

Practically Family

I had them on my club vest. I thought it looked really bad when the laces were over extended on the side. Almost like you were wearing your little brothers vest.

I always opted for vest extenders. They add about 4 or 5 inches and allow you to wear your vest over your jacket to display your colors. In the summer, they allow lots of air in on the bike. Might be a little too "biker" for some. You don't need to have a motorcycle or be in a club to wear them. lol.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
How does the Vanson Oxford fit compared to the Model B? I'm looking to buy my brother his first leather jacket for a milestone birthday (His 30th) and he fits well into my uncle's stock size 42 Model B. Can I buy him a size 42 in the Oxford? As far as I can tell, the measurements on Vanson's website indicate that they fit the same, but I wanted to double check with the members here.

I want to get him a jacket that will last and he will enjoy for many years. He particularly likes the collar style of the Oxford. He will not be using it for actual riding, as far as I'm aware, as if he did my sister-in-law would probably murder both him and then me. If you have any other suggestions, my other brother and I have pooled our cash up to reach about $600 for our budget. I am very inexperienced in jacket purchasing and chose the Oxford for my brother because I am very happy and impressed with the one jacket I own, a Vanson Chopper. I would appreciate any advice you all have to give.

Thank you,
Khilij

jglf

A-List Customer
How does the Vanson Oxford fit compared to the Model B? I'm looking to buy my brother his first leather jacket for a milestone birthday (His 30th) and he fits well into my uncle's stock size 42 Model B. Can I buy him a size 42 in the Oxford? As far as I can tell, the measurements on Vanson's website indicate that they fit the same, but I wanted to double check with the members here.

I want to get him a jacket that will last and he will enjoy for many years. He particularly likes the collar style of the Oxford. He will not be using it for actual riding, as far as I'm aware, as if he did my sister-in-law would probably murder both him and then me. If you have any other suggestions, my other brother and I have pooled our cash up to reach about $600 for our budget. I am very inexperienced in jacket purchasing and chose the Oxford for my brother because I am very happy and impressed with the one jacket I own, a Vanson Chopper. I would appreciate any advice you all have to give.

Thank you,
Khilij
They are the same measurements.

Riu

Practically Family
I didn't yet, I thought it was me. I was wondering what's going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner