Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Yes, those Hercules “fancy back” jackets were based on the cossack style, and were around 23.5in (25in including collar) down the back. They also made a long version with 2in added, so there are a few out there with 25.5in backs measured without the collar.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I believe I have found the answer to your question, in the process answered a few of my own. Your questions helped put a few things together. I had never considered the addition of the side gussets or the significance. Now I see it. I will do a thread on my findings.
Yes please.
I spent the entire afternoon looking through old Sears Catalogues, mainly from the 20s. And funny thing was there were no leather jackets. There were some sheepskin lined moleskin jackets and sheepskin jerkin vest with split leather arms like modern day bombers, but nothing resemble what came in the 30s in terms of leather jacket offerings.
So it would seem like there were some big changes in the early 30s that paved the way for the leather jackets we know today. Cant wait to see what u got.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yes, those Hercules “fancy back” jackets were based on the cossack style, and were around 23.5in (25in including collar) down the back. They also made a long version with 2in added, so there are a few out there with 25.5in backs measured without the collar.
This is making so much sense for me now with the Hercules Cossack. Thanks!

6FD51058-DCAB-464B-817F-8A7202F2E9D8.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
So it would seem like there were some big changes in the early 30s that paved the way for the leather jackets we know today.

In a word, yes. You continue to be on target. Perhaps we could call it the "Modern" jacket. One of the other pavers is the first zipper in the 1931 catalog. Can not underestimate that development.

I need to get my ducks in a row and do the thread. I've got pieces and I know others here do also. I want to get all the pieces in one place and see what they look like. Maybe I am the only one who didn't get it or maybe I'm all wrong. We will see.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
In a word, yes. You continue to be on target. Perhaps we could call it the "Modern" jacket. One of the other pavers is the first zipper in the 1931 catalog. Can not underestimate that development.

I need to get my ducks in a row and do the thread. I've got pieces and I know others here do also. I want to get all the pieces in one place and see what they look like. Maybe I am the only one who didn't get it or maybe I'm all wrong. We will see.

The change is very drastic from late 20s to mid 30s. Please post what you got. It’s hard to find information because this was also the Great Depression period. But it really gave birth to menswear as we know it today. It would be nice to learn about where this all came from, the origin. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner