Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
I acquired a steerhide Buco CR recently for reselling purposes and I was surprised at the quality of the leather. It feels very papery and thin. Maybe it hasn't been treated well, but the hide itself is light and quite flimsy. It's a 60s-70s jacket (teardrop talons), but is totally blown out by the gold label Brooks I have. As far as I know, it's an authentic Buco, not one of the diffusion brands like Buco MKS. It's my first time handling an actual Buco jacket and I'm not sure if the jacket I have was just a bad batch, or if it's not uncommon to have a lightweight, thin hide on the cafe racers. Anyone have similar experiences? Conditioning may help with the texture of the leather, but I don't think it would help with the flimsy feeling of the jacket.

Al 916

One Too Many
A little Pecard love later.

_20211030_093024.JPG
_20211030_093114.JPG
_20211030_093309.JPG

And after a bit of a search I found the remains of a skinny band hanging down the sleeve.

Also found a much wider (but saggy) band on the Brooks, so off to the sewing room they both go next week.

Thanks chaps

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
A little Pecard love later.

View attachment 374181 View attachment 374182 View attachment 374183

And after a bit of a search I found the remains of a skinny band hanging down the sleeve.

Also found a much wider (but saggy) band on the Brooks, so off to the sewing room they both go next week.

Thanks chaps
Nice. Reminds me of the scene in Black Hawk Down where they're desperately trying to locate the clipped femoral arty. Jacket looks great. I was wearing my brown one last night. The simple cut and also little bit longer length, it hits on all levels for me. Very Buco J100ish from the front and you still get the tight gussets to make it more comfortable.

Mcu

New in Town
Hello all, sorry to exploit this thread with my first post.

Does anybody know this model of Rainbow Country All State jacket? I haven't found much information in English. This jacket has different measurements everywhere... It seems to be running slim. What is your opinion on it? I might buy a second hand from Yahoo Auctions.

http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=159815811#

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Hello all, sorry to exploit this thread with my first post.

Does anybody know this model of Rainbow Country All State jacket? I haven't found much information in English. This jacket has different measurements everywhere... It seems to be running slim. What is your opinion on it? I might buy a second hand from Yahoo Auctions.

http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=159815811#
Mushmans is a Japanese retailer which sells reproductions of classic American designs. They're not 1:1 copies, the patterns are altered for the Japanese market (eg slimmed down sleeves and chest). The jackets are produced by Rainbow Country.

All state jackets were sold by Sears and produced by buco. This particular jacket looks to be a Buco J71.

If you open the website with Google Chrome, you can choose to have it translated into English.

Mcu

New in Town
Thanks Marc. I have researched this jacket a bit. I am actually eyeing this one: https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/t1012288263

Measurements of this jacket seems to be a bit small for a 38. Shoulder width: 43cm Sleeve length: 60cm Width: 50cm Length: 60cm

I thought it would be 53-54cm on pit to pit. Also other measurements can use increases of 1 or 2 cm overall as well. These measures are different than the latest model on mushmanns too. Slim chance but wanted to see if someone has experience. Looks like an 'affordable' Shinki jacket. Surprised to see nobody owns one in the western hemisphere.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I acquired a steerhide Buco CR recently for reselling purposes and I was surprised at the quality of the leather. It feels very papery and thin. Maybe it hasn't been treated well, but the hide itself is light and quite flimsy. It's a 60s-70s jacket (teardrop talons), but is totally blown out by the gold label Brooks I have. As far as I know, it's an authentic Buco, not one of the diffusion brands like Buco MKS. It's my first time handling an actual Buco jacket and I'm not sure if the jacket I have was just a bad batch, or if it's not uncommon to have a lightweight, thin hide on the cafe racers. Anyone have similar experiences? Conditioning may help with the texture of the leather, but I don't think it would help with the flimsy feeling of the jacket.

I've had a recent conversation with @photo2u about Buco Steerhide and the J-100. Hopefully he will respond. I've raised the question on certain Steerhides from this era. I've seen good and bad. I've only owned one Buco so limited hands on.

Interesting comparison to a Brooks.

This is one of the later Buco Jackets and that makes a difference.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@bien Aero list price less 25% (divide by 1.25) plus shipping (£40) equals your total price out of UK. Depending where you are in the world, convert the Pounds into your local currency and then add your local sales tax.
For Canadians there is only HST (12%), no duty.
For Americans there is only state sales taxes on amount over $800. Which I think most of the sale will be under. So nothing.
In the US sales tax applies to the total cost by state. Custom fees is only on items over $800. I believe you will not get hit with sales tax because Aero is not doing business in the state you are shipping to
I did not know outside of the UK Aero deducted the vat?

jonbuilder

Another question. Why does the general recommendation for treating a leather jacket with leather conditioners so different comparing to leather boots? Most recommend never treat a jacket with anything for a long time but people treat boots once or twice a year all the time.

Boots and leather jackets are often made of similar materials like horween cxl or badalassi cowhide (boots maybe use thicker hides) so I dont quite understand why one should be treated and one shouldn't.
I do not roll in mud or saltwater wearing my leather jackets like Jonesy. I do not kick things with my jackets and I have 37 jackets and two pairs of daily walking boots I rotate through. My whites bounty hunters are seven years old and on the second set of soles

jonbuilder

I've had a recent conversation with @photo2u about Buco Steerhide and the J-100. Hopefully he will respond. I've raised the question on certain Steerhides from this era. I've seen good and bad. I've only owned one Buco so limited hands on.

Interesting comparison to a Brooks.

This is one of the later Buco Jackets and that makes a difference.
I have a Buco J-100 late 50s or early 60s and owned and sold another Buco J-100 after 12 years of hard-wearing. The steer hide is not heavy or thick, nice design, and drapes well. I have other Buco models in steer hide that was heavier than the hide on my J-100. The J-100 was designed as a racing shirt and not a heavy motorcycle jacket like the J-22, J-24, J27. I had Buco sport jackets, I do not know the model #, in horsehide and steer hide. The steer hide jacket was heavier than the horsehide jacket

Superfluous

I have a Buco J-100 late 50s or early 60s and owned and sold another Buco J-100 after 12 years of hard-wearing. The steer hide is not heavy or thick, nice design, and drapes well. I have other Buco models in steer hide that was heavier than the hide on my J-100. The J-100 was designed as a racing shirt and not a heavy motorcycle jacket like the J-22, J-24, J27. I had Buco sport jackets, I do not know the model #, in horsehide and steer hide. The steer hide jacket was heavier than the horsehide jacket

^ I agree. My steer hide Buco J-100 is very comfortable and easy wearing.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
In the US sales tax applies to the total cost by state. Custom fees is only on items over $800. I believe you will not get hit with sales tax because Aero is not doing business in the state you are shipping to
No Aero is one price for all, no deduct VAT.
But they just had the 25 off sale which is like their way of saying no VAT and then some. Good deal if the right jacket shows up.
Good to know our American members don’t even have to pay sales tax! There is no duty for Canadian customers, but there is still the 12 percent sales tax. Ugh.

Stormlord

New in Town
Hi guys. I want to buy a German Bundeswehr leather jacket. There are two options

Option 1 - original Bundeswehr jacket from German military. Jacket is in goat nappa leather.

10412-0_600x600@2x.jpg

https://www.asmc.de/bw-fliegerjacke-leder-grau-gebraucht

Option number 2 - miltec military "style" jacket in Buffalo leather

bw-flieger-lederjacke-von-mil-tec.jpg

https://buweos.de/BW-Flieger-Lederjacke-von-MIL-TEC

I have learned that Buffalo have more open pores than goat, which means that it will have a stronger pattina and is less resistant against water and whether.
On the other side, Buffalo is said to be a strong and durable leather.

What would you vote for? I am interested in your opinion, especially why (reasons)

I know this has not a stylish and showy jacket but I really like the style and especially the color. I will buy an aero end of the year (have to lose some kg first)
Thank you

MrProper

Hi guys. I want to buy a German Bundeswehr leather jacket. There are two options

Option 1 - original Bundeswehr jacket from German military. Jacket is in goat nappa leather.

10412-0_600x600@2x.jpg

https://www.asmc.de/bw-fliegerjacke-leder-grau-gebraucht

Option number 2 - miltec military "style" jacket in Buffalo leather

bw-flieger-lederjacke-von-mil-tec.jpg

https://buweos.de/BW-Flieger-Lederjacke-von-MIL-TEC

I have learned that Buffalo have more open pores than goat, which means that it will have a stronger pattina and is less resistant against water and whether.
On the other side, Buffalo is said to be a strong and durable leather.

What would you vote for? I am interested in your opinion, especially why (reasons)

I know this has not a stylish and showy jacket but I really like the style and especially the color. I will buy an aero end of the year (have to lose some kg first)
Thank you

I would take the original.
Know the jacket from the 80s. A friend had this during his time in the Bundeswehr and wore it even afterwards with pleasure. Was robust and practical.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I got nailed for about $70 on customs fees on my LL order. Invoice was about $1200 with a tshirt. It says something about 4% so no idea how it got calculated. I think DHL took a fee too for fronting. So maybe 4% of the whole, not just over 800. Or maybe california sales tax over 800 plus the fee. No idea.

I think there's some luck involved of getting hit or not and some states, maybe the no sales tax states might not be as vigilant. In any case, I know in Europe it's brutal, so I aint complaining too much.

Stormlord

New in Town
I would take the original.
Know the jacket from the 80s. A friend had this during his time in the Bundeswehr and wore it even afterwards with pleasure. Was robust and practical.
Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your opinion. Honestly I always thought about getting the original. Only thing is, that the original is goat and I thought Buffalo is thicker, heavier and more durable.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I got nailed for about $70 on customs fees on my LL order. Invoice was about $1200 with a tshirt. It says something about 4% so no idea how it got calculated. I think DHL took a fee too for fronting. So maybe 4% of the whole, not just over 800. Or maybe california sales tax over 800 plus the fee. No idea.

I think there's some luck involved of getting hit or not and some states, maybe the no sales tax states might not be as vigilant. In any case, I know in Europe it's brutal, so I aint complaining too much.
I ordered a shawl Barnstormer during the Aero sale. The price was 560pounds (540+20 shipping). I had to pay 126 pounds to DHL for VAT and "handling" costs. And DHL was two working days later than the promised delivery day.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
How do you like your new Aero?
it is great! This is my 4th CXL FQHH from Aero and by far the lightest (I admit that the rest are really too thick/heavy), which makes it much easier to wear for such a long coat. Amazing grain out of the box (I have poste some photo's on the show us your graining thread). Really warm due to the shearling lining. I'm eagerly waiting for some cold days so I can wear it! It still needs some breaking-in though as some panels seem a bit stiff.
It is my second shearling lined Aero and learning from my experience of the first one I wanted: a) a lighter hide; b) a bit thinner shearling (on my LHB I had stupidly asked for the heaviest FQHH and thickest shearling available and I got back a steel armour); c) a roomier fit as a tight fit with shearling feels a bit restricting; and d) an inch extra at sleeves and back length because the shearling lining lifts the whole jacket up. The Barnstormer ticks all the boxes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points