Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Question: how problematic is it to cut off (?) or otherwise remove the epaulets and belt loops from a crosszip moto jacket? I'm thinking about picking up an inexpensive version of the classic, black leather moto jacket but already know that I don't care for the above portions that are usually present on these jackets. I really don't even want a D pocket but hard to find cheap versions minus that. Anyway....surgery on a jacket: caveats, pitfalls, things I need to know? Slice and dice or what?
Thanks.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
The problem with the epaulettes is if it has a snap. No way to remove that without leaving a hole. So you're left with a frankenstein bolt kind of thing sticking out that seems out of place. I know a lot of jackets have various snaps for the lapels, collars, detachable collars, etc. So it's really a question of how much bling you want.

The belts are easy. Opening up the seam is most professional, but if you have a sharp knife, scissors, you can get pretty close without having to open everything up and stitch back together. The belt loops should be really easy. But you probably going to leave behind some indents, odd threads, and stitch holes.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The problem with the epaulettes is if it has a snap. No way to remove that without leaving a hole. So you're left with a frankenstein bolt kind of thing sticking out that seems out of place. I know a lot of jackets have various snaps for the lapels, collars, detachable collars, etc. So it's really a question of how much bling you want.

The belts are easy. Opening up the seam is most professional, but if you have a sharp knife, scissors, you can get pretty close without having to open everything up and stitch back together. The belt loops should be really easy. But you probably going to leave behind some indents, odd threads, and stitch holes.
I used to hate epaulettes too. But spending enough time here I've grown to tolerate them, even like them now. There was also a time when I de-epaulettes my coat and jackets, then it morphed to stitching them down, to now I just let them be. Give it some time, they will grow on you.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
This is probably a rant but i’ll phrase it as an outerwear question.
Why would someone with 1 or 2 posts on TFL list an item in the classifieds and state paypal F&F? I’ve seen it a bunch lately. For regular members i’d ship the item and take $ when they got around to it. Someone brand new, wtf, i don’t trust you.

Proffset

New in Town
This is probably a rant but i’ll phrase it as an outerwear question.
Why would someone with 1 or 2 posts on TFL list an item in the classifieds and state paypal F&F? I’ve seen it a bunch lately. For regular members i’d ship the item and take $ when they got around to it. Someone brand new, wtf, i don’t trust you.

people come up with the "most amazing ideas". Such actions should not surprise you.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Bfd70 I would only deal with long time members or members whom at least posted a few pics of their jackets. Classifieds here is still much better than my local Kijiji though. There was a member who got ripped off over a Mulholland just recently if I remember right. So be aware.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
How do you link your inst account in signature? For some reason, it doesn't work for me... means it shows the address but it is not linked, hmmm?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What's the purpose / function of the shoulder strap? Are there other accessories that can clips onto it?

Image1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran