Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mrkurtz

New in Town
Making waxy finish cowhide

OK here’s my problem. A year ago I bought a Schott leather jacket in waxy cowhide finish. 75% of the jacket was done in a waxy cowhide leather. The left front panel however does not match the rest of the jacket. It is a matte unprotected finish. I know I should not have purchased the jacket with a mismatched panel. I’m kind of disappointed Schott would release a jacket like this. However in the store they told me that after a few wears the finish would all even out. It has not. The waxy cowhide finish looks great. It is aging nicely and has water repellency. The left panel still looks completely different it mars easily and has absolutely no water repellency.
I wonder if at this stage of the game I can apply a wax to the left panel and make it look like the rest of the jacket. If so what product would you use and how would you apply it. I would post pictures if I could figure out how to post them.
Thanks in advance to everyone.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Pic? Schott customer service is usually quite good. Maybe ask them to send you their wax. Curious to see what they use to wax their leather.

Why on earth would you need 2 throat latch tabs?
B9C00DC0-4CC3-441E-BACC-C15AD4EFEE18.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 405598
What is the purpose of the lower throat latch? Hercules cossack has it in its original design too. I get the throat latch on the collar but doesn't the zipper zip everything tight without the use of the lower throat latch? Or what this meant to give some extra space when a (big knot) tie was worn?

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 405598

Looks to me like the lower one - which is fastened in this photo - is designed to help support the zip when closed all the way to the top, while the one we see hanging look is positioned correctly to hold the collar closed around the neck when flipped up. An unusual design - I've never seen it anywhere else before - but logical and practical.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
No branding on this one. Anybody know the maker?

More pics in the link.

1646069160797.png

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Suggestions for cleaning grime off of the lining, short of tossing it in the washing machine, please.

It doesn't show up in the photo, but there is some, especially near the facings.

Thank you.
Try two parts water, 1 part vinegar solution. Use a damp towel and clean the area, then dry with a dry towel several times.

Reactions: Zoo

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Hi guys, please see picture below. Does this look like repairable on a sheepskin jacket? If so, can it be done at home or you have to go to professionals for this?

1646151977142.png

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Looks like a bit of topcoat flaking off? I would touch it up with a brown pigment marker and then apply some Urad to give it back its shine.

Is the paint chipped/peeled off? Or is it paint splattered on? I've always imagined the core would be brownish flesh so thats why I asked.
Thanks guys for your reply. According to the seller it’s leather peeling off the surface.

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
The Five Star thread is locked, so putting the question here: For those of you who have ordered from them recently, how long is it taking after you place the order for them to send the detail pictures? I heard from them and placed an order for a Seal HH HB a week ago and haven't heard anything since that day. Stock size and pattern with a few minor adjustments. I heard a few people say that their turnaround time was only about 4 days. Is that still the case?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
FB messenger him now! I made the mistake of waiting before, just like you. He doesn’t always reply when he doesn’t have an answer but it doesn’t mean he’s not working on it. Reminders will get things pushed through more efficiently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner