Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmx-berlin

New in Town
Hey guys,

how did I get rid off tobacco smell from a leather jacket. I just bought a Schott 689H second hand and it smells really strong. Is it okay to put the jacket in the wasching machine?

Leather Walker

Practically Family

I think it's a beautiful Guide Master by Wolf.

il_1140xN.1541304529_biqv.jpg
Guide_Master_16_1340.jpg

@Mysteryo had one for sale a time ago. Not all of them have three snaps on belt, most have buckle and eyelets, like this one on eBay.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Hey guys,

how did I get rid off tobacco smell from a leather jacket. I just bought a Schott 689H second hand and it smells really strong. Is it okay to put the jacket in the wasching machine?
Path of least resistance first.

1. Wipe down with damp towel. Hang in sunlight for a few days
Re-Evaluate
2. Spritz with vinegar/water mix and hang in sunlight again
Re-Evaluate
3. Try hand washing the liner first. A lot of the smell might be trapped in the liner.
Re-Evaluate
4. Bucket or Bathtub wash. Use a light detergent or soap. Slosh around, rinse well. Dry in shade and/or room temperature on a hanger. Don't put in dryer unless you need it to shrink some. Once fully dry, add some conditioner.

pmx-berlin

New in Town
Path of least resistance first.

1. Wipe down with damp towel. Hang in sunlight for a few days
Re-Evaluate
2. Spritz with vinegar/water mix and hang in sunlight again
Re-Evaluate
3. Try hand washing the liner first. A lot of the smell might be trapped in the liner.
Re-Evaluate
4. Bucket or Bathtub wash. Use a light detergent or soap. Slosh around, rinse well. Dry in shade and/or room temperature on a hanger. Don't put in dryer unless you need it to shrink some. Once fully dry, add some conditioner.

Thank you very much. I will try that step by step.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Hi folks

So I found this beautiful jacket on Grailed. I figure it’s from Rainbow Country and it’s a pattern they probably don’t make anymore but does anyone here have any intel on the name of the pattern?

D83CCAD0-10EB-495D-8EDD-EDAE7EF93352.png
B90DC926-AB42-4BAF-AF7C-6DC2306283AF.png
3C91E8D7-E1C6-4C09-913C-EAF7B6AA2764.png
B0896CD0-61D2-4A38-AEB7-EC632C236E32.png

Leather Walker

Practically Family

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Vintage denim experts:
Is it normal for vintage sanforize denim to "pile" cotton after machine wash? Here is a photo. It was 10 times worse when I took it out of the washer. I had thought someone left a tissue paper in there on accident. But after cleaning it up, I realized it's cotton fibers. Is this normal? And if so how did people clean their denim back then? Thanks.

IMG_6490.JPG

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Newbie question here. I made a design mistake when I was getting a custom jacket made which I decided to not use a zip on the chest pocket.

When the jacket is new the pocket looks fine but as the jacket becomes more broken in the pocket kind of deformed and constantly pops open which bothers me a bit.

Want to have a zip installed on the pocket. I guess it shouldn’t be a difficult job for a shop that does leather repair?

Anyone have a source for ball and chain or diamond pull zips?

421CB766-B676-4660-B542-6968466550B5.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Hi folks

So I found this beautiful jacket on Grailed. I figure it’s from Rainbow Country and it’s a pattern they probably don’t make anymore but does anyone here have any intel on the name of the pattern?

View attachment 409210 View attachment 409211 View attachment 409212 View attachment 409213

Looks very much like a 1930s Bay Area jacket. Ralphs-Pugh, Block, Golden Bear, Peters, etc all made jackets in this style. It was the Style. Considered a motorcycle jacket or Police Jacket in that era. All these Bay Area makers knew who was making what, so it was just the style of day, especially the styling of the front pocket.

Belt loops were added/subtracted as needed even if they don't seem to fit. Typically added for Police work to an existing MC jacket.

They could well have an identical original, not a mash-up. It would not surprise me they have copied this jacket from an original late 30s Golden Bear jacket,.

If they don't have the original it is a make up of Bay area jackets from the later 30s. Looks like an original with that label.

Look on the Japanese websites and you will see the Bay Area originals. They have or had them all. They can re-produce them so accurately because they own, or have access to the original jacket.

Nice they do this because that original would be near impossible to find

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Newbie question here. I made a design mistake when I was getting a custom jacket made which I decided to not use a zip on the chest pocket.

When the jacket is new the pocket looks fine but as the jacket becomes more broken in the pocket kind of deformed and constantly pops open which bothers me a bit.

Want to have a zip installed on the pocket. I guess it shouldn’t be a difficult job for a shop that does leather repair?

View attachment 412121

Keep it as is. I ride and things do not just jump off from pockets that easy. However, just to be safe, take things out from pocket when you hop on that ride.

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Keep it as is. I ride and things do not just jump off from pockets that easy. However, just to be safe, take things out from pocket when you hop on that ride.

I personally do not use the chest pocket at all . It’s just bothers me with how it looks visually. It’s shaped like a used hand pocket with a bit a sag.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 412121
yeah, a good leather seamstress/tailor can install a zipper. It's a bit more complicated and expensive after the fact. They have to cut open the liner, etc. Probably run you about $100.

There are a bunch on ebay
Original:
Repro:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would also keep it as is. It doesn't look bad. Vintage jackets that has unzip pockets looks like that. Rock yours with the vintage style!
Adding a zipper now is doable but needs surgery, and there is always a small risk in cosmetic surgery.
IMG_7840.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot