Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know the name of this Bootleggers Reunion / Freewheelers two tone aviator? I'm trying to find detailed pics of the d pocket but I don't know what search term to use.

F4DC04E5-977C-4B76-B6DC-02212559BD77.jpeg

58panheadfan

One Too Many
A similar style was made by The Few.

Roy Hobbs

One of the Regulars
Anyone know what to do if the bottom part of the zipper comes off? Is this an easy fix or does the zipper need to be replaced?

Attachments

• IMG_2231.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 96

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
Hi! Do you maybe know if Pasadena is actually a repro of a vintage piece or it is uniquely designed by FW, even with Peters Label?

I’m raising this question because sometimes FW does the latter, for example the Speed Master, which is an imaginary piece under “Leathertogs” label.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Found pictures in Rin Tanakas Book Motorcyle Jackets "Ultimate Biker's Fashion" pg 106:

Says "unknown maker" due missing label, could be a Peter's I guess.
Possibly FW took this Jacket as a pattern and created their own "Passadena" in two-tone and slightly modified d-pocket and just added a Peter's label or they had an original (Peter's). Maybe someone on this forum knows more about it... anyway back in 1930's were a lot of similar d-pocket Leather Jackets around.

FL_Pasadena_Orig_1.JPG

FL_Pasadena_Orig_2.JPG

FL_Pasadena_Orig_3.JPG

Last edited:

Mrkurtz

New in Town
I have a question regarding the classification of jackets. It regards cross zip jackets with wide lapels and collars. Sometimes they are referred to as motorcycle jackets and sometimes they are referred to as aviators. Is there a checklist to go down to determine if a particular jacket is related to motorcycles or airplanes? I’m pretty confident that if it has a wide belt along the bottom and lace up side adjustment that is going to be strictly motorcycle.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I have a question regarding the classification of jackets. It regards cross zip jackets with wide lapels and collars. Sometimes they are referred to as motorcycle jackets and sometimes they are referred to as aviators. Is there a checklist to go down to determine if a particular jacket is related to motorcycles or airplanes? I’m pretty confident that if it has a wide belt along the bottom and lace up side adjustment that is going to be strictly motorcycle.
Unlike a motorcycle jacket, Aviator jackets don't feature snaps on the lapels, beltloops or epaulets. They come with buttoned cuffs (instead of zippers).

The "Aviator" is a fairly recently dug-up term, coined for leather jackets based on a light-weight flight jackets of the 1920's and 1930's. Nowadays, the jacket that will be referred to as an Aviator possesses a couple of features that set it apart from what would normally be termed a motorcycle jacket, including tho not limited to button or snap cuff closure, Half-belt, elaborate back design and D-pocket design, button closure, etc. but it mostly is the overall distinctive Art Deco-ish styling that sets it apart. Aviators are more often than not brown, rather than black.

Since any of these features may be present on a motorcycle jacket, you would not be wrong to call it that, either.

Technically, an A-2 is more of an aviator jacket than the one described above, which is why I personally do not use the term.

It's not a recent term. They were already calling them Aviator's style jackets back in the days.

View attachment 402557

Yep, that's why I said recently re-discovered as this particular term hasn't been all that much in use during all these years I've been in this hobby. People would just call 'em Motorcycle jackets.
I think it's a noteworthy distinction to be made, though, as MC jackets are a somewhat different beast; Just that I am not 100% if these Aviator jackets, even in this 1940's ad, were ever really intended to be used for flying.

powersci

One of the Regulars
This is a new one for me. Waxed exterior on my N-1 jacket has an odd spot. I think it's from sitting in a heated seat for an hour.

Is this easy to fix? Rub some solid wax on it and melt it in? Does the shearling lining complicate anything?

E634051E-D104-452B-A210-9DEBBB92554A_1_201_a.jpeg

Poul

Familiar Face
Guys I got Drifter seal brown goatskin jacket from SB does anybody know how it ages does it build patina over time?

Zoo

One of the Regulars
Suggestions for cleaning grime off of the lining, short of tossing it in the washing machine, please.

It doesn't show up in the photo, but there is some, especially near the facings.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_123008958.jpg
    IMG_20220220_123008958.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24