Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@jeo I’m a huge fan of Sugar Cane but I’ve only seen their (impressive) leather jackets in photos. Are they only sold in Japan?

jeo

One Too Many
@Aloysius I don't recall any retailer outside of Japan selling their jackets, but I could be totally wrong. I've never looked into them much. You can definitely find their jackets on Yahoo Auctions Japan used. I see them all the time.

Aloysius

@Aloysius I don't recall any retailer outside of Japan selling their jackets, but I could be totally wrong. I've never looked into them much. You can definitely find their jackets on Yahoo Auctions Japan used. I see them all the time.

I’ll take a look. My usual sources for Cane (even in Japan) don’t stock their leather unfortunately. It’s a shame because the designs I’ve seen blow the closest competition away.

Reactions: jeo

Blackadder

@jeo I’m a huge fan of Sugar Cane but I’ve only seen their (impressive) leather jackets in photos. Are they only sold in Japan?
Their overseas dealers don't seem to stock their leather jacket. AFAIK overseas dealers only sell their regular items like jeans and BR military clothing. I have never seen their leather jacket at the local dealer.
Not only are they not available outside Japan, each leather jacket model is usually made for one season and not repeated. They made a Sears Hercules halfbelt repro under Sugar Cane in one season, a few seasons later they made an Allstate Buco J-82 type under Indian Motorcycle. They simply have too many items, too many clothing lines for the small dealers to stock. I guess that is one of the reasons the overseas dealer do not stock their leather jacket.

Blackadder

I’ll take a look. My usual sources for Cane (even in Japan) don’t stock their leather unfortunately. It’s a shame because the designs I’ve seen blow the closest competition away.
You can take a look at their direct store, Junky Special.

Aloysius

You can take a look at their direct store, Junky Special.

I’ll take a look. One of my BR jackets is from Junky. Otherwise almost all my Toyo stuff is from Hinoya or HPA (the only overseas Toyo dealer who charges Japan prices instead of insane markup.)

Motocann

One Too Many
I thought the jackets worn back in the days were relatively short. I used these photos for inspiration when I had Field Leathers make a half belt for me. I wanted my jacket to have this thirties look.
View attachment 304609

About the average height. I thought that men today are a lot taller than they were back in the thirties. Turns out that is not the case.

According to the most recent study I could find (2018) the average height of an American male is 69.1 inches (175.4 centimeters), which is exactly the same average height as back in 1931.

View attachment 304611

Long story short.

Go short if you like the 30's look. Go longer if you like a more contemporary look (which compliments low rise pants).
You can’t go by old photographs of random dudes wearing leather jackets. Fact is, almost all clothing back in the day were custom tailored and made by small independently owned producers. Especially garments like suits and leather jackets.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Also, I just learned that this style is called a “Wedding Ring” pull.
View attachment 322119

View attachment 322118
Turned out the 'wedding ring' pull was still available. I bought it for my newest grail which is missing both pulls. I already had one spare which came as an extra with the Kit Karson.

FAB7DB98-2758-481F-ABD1-BDB04C3C77B6.jpeg

EC10615C-41C9-4C91-8089-A449B90DAE98.jpeg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have a useless zipper with frayed fabric behind the male pin? I would like to do some experiments to repair the fabric and need something to practice on. Half of the zipper will do as long as it is the pin side.

MTS

Familiar Face
I am trying to up my leather jacket game. Currently looking at getting a stiffer leather jacket, either a C2RN from Vanson in competition weight or a Vanson Gambler in the Black Z150. Any thoughts/experiences with those two different leathers?

Those are the two that fit what I am looking for style wise and budget wise. I like Aero's in CXL but those are way too pricy for me I think. Any insight would be appreciated!

Edit: this would just be for casual wear, I don't ride or anything!

Khilij

One of the Regulars
This is outerwear-adjacent, but I keep getting a message that says my image file size is too big when uploading pictures. Is there any way I can reduce the file size without sacrificing image quality so I can post good pictures of the new Vanson I got in recently?

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I am trying to up my leather jacket game. Currently looking at getting a stiffer leather jacket, either a C2RN from Vanson in competition weight or a Vanson Gambler in the Black Z150. Any thoughts/experiences with those two different leathers?

Those are the two that fit what I am looking for style wise and budget wise. I like Aero's in CXL but those are way too pricy for me I think. Any insight would be appreciated!

I'm a young guy, newer to the leather jacket game, but if you want my unsolicited advice? Save up and get the Aero. You're always going to want that Aero in the CXL if that's what you're really after, so might as well buy once, cry once, is how I've heard it phrased before around these parts.

MTS

Familiar Face
I'm a young guy, newer to the leather jacket game, but if you want my unsolicited advice? Save up and get the Aero. You're always going to want that Aero in the CXL if that's what you're really after, so might as well buy once, cry once, is how I've heard it phrased before around these parts.

I'm similar to you I guess! I think you're right. I've always been interested in the competition weight that Vanson offers. But there is a lot of truth to your advice...I might always chase or desire that jacket in CXL. Maybe I'll end up with less jackets if I go straight for it haha

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

Edit: this would just be for casual wear, I don't ride or anything!
I like Vanson a lot especially at the price point. But I think if you don't ride, there's so called better options for more of a fashion vibe. The two styles you noted if i recall correctly are cross zips, probably no belt and or epaulettes right?

If you want to stay in the Vanson family, see if you get lucky with a used Commando. I've seen the non CXL ones go for sub $500 on here. The cut is really nice and great upgrades from the collab.

Schott has some fashion style cross zips too. Personally I'd stay away from the lambskin ones (Raven I think?), although the Schott one is above your normal mall jacket type lambskin, but I do recall they have a 500 or 600 series leather cross zip without epaulettes and maybe without belt too (Wildcat?).

Don't buy Aero new for your first jacket. There's plenty of barely worn ones on here for 30% off. CXL is amazing but it has it's down sides too You may not like. They look great in pics but wear interesting to say the least. And Aero sizing is all over the place. If you buy one used and need to catch and release, there won't be as much pain. And on the flip side, if you end up liking, you owe me a beer for the money I saved you :cool:

Reactions: MTS

MTS

Familiar Face
I like Vanson a lot especially at the price point. But I think if you don't ride, there's so called better options for more of a fashion vibe. The two styles you noted if i recall correctly are cross zips, probably no belt and or epaulettes right?

If you want to stay in the Vanson family, see if you get lucky with a used Commando. I've seen the non CXL ones go for sub $500 on here. The cut is really nice and great upgrades from the collab.

Schott has some fashion style cross zips too. Personally I'd stay away from the lambskin ones (Raven I think?), although the Schott one is above your normal mall jacket type lambskin, but I do recall they have a 500 or 600 series leather cross zip without epaulettes and maybe without belt too (Wildcat?).

Don't buy Aero new for your first jacket. There's plenty of barely worn ones on here for 30% off. CXL is amazing but it has it's down sides too You may not like. They look great in pics but wear interesting to say the least. And Aero sizing is all over the place. If you buy one used and need to catch and release, there won't be as much pain. And on the flip side, if you end up liking, you owe me a beer for the money I saved you :cool:

Yeah, the Vanson is very attractive at the price for me. You are right, the two options I mentioned do not have epaulets or belts. I know some of the heavier/stiffer leathers will be overkill if I don't ride but I am pretty huge on raw denim. So I do prefer a certain type of "feel" and patina potential for my leather as well.

I will TRY and be patient and look out for something used here or on eBay. I am irrationally impatient when it comes to things like this though haha.

I have had a Schott before (519) and really liked it. I also recently got a 5* jacket made a few months ago. I am definitely looking for a leather with much more character and patina potential for my next jacket.

Yeah, Aero's sizing definitely is a bit all over the place to me. That sounds like a plan! Thanks a lot for all your advice.

coolraver

New in Town
I got my very first Cockpit USA G-1 calfskin in 2020, but recently the lining has started to fall apart. Parts of the quilted lining began developing blueish spots that eventually led to tearing and exposes the filling.
I found it weird that the lining started falling apart in under 2 years despite taking good care of it. I've had older jackets with the same type of quilted lining that's been holding up well after many years.
Photos attached. Has anyone had the same jacket/lining issues? I'm thinking of reaching out on their website and maybe they can do something about it.
I'm new to all of this, insights would be welcome as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220420_164430.jpg
    20220420_164430.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 20220420_164414.jpg
    20220420_164414.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 20220420_164455.jpg
    20220420_164455.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
That looks like they used the cheapest possible fabric for the lining, almost a throw-away, single use crap. Send their CS these pictures, along with pics of your receipt if you have it, curious what they say.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, the Vanson is very attractive at the price for me. You are right, the two options I mentioned do not have epaulets or belts. I know some of the heavier/stiffer leathers will be overkill if I don't ride but I am pretty huge on raw denim. So I do prefer a certain type of "feel" and patina potential for my leather as well.

I will TRY and be patient and look out for something used here or on eBay. I am irrationally impatient when it comes to things like this though haha.

I have had a Schott before (519) and really liked it. I also recently got a 5* jacket made a few months ago. I am definitely looking for a leather with much more character and patina potential for my next jacket.

Yeah, Aero's sizing definitely is a bit all over the place to me. That sounds like a plan! Thanks a lot for all your advice.
NEW MiUSA CXL jacket for 5Star price. Just have to look for them.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-jacket-are-you-wearing-today.82949/post-2912578
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-jacket-are-you-wearing-today.82949/post-2912557

Reactions: MTS

coolraver

New in Town
^^
That looks like they used the cheapest possible fabric for the lining, almost a throw-away, single use crap. Send their CS these pictures, along with pics of your receipt if you have it, curious what they say.
I emailed them and according to the rep, they stopped using that lining 10 years ago. I guess I got an older version. They said I can send the jacket in and they can replace it with the current diamond quilted lining that they use now for $195 plus shipping.

It's a bit expensive, but hey might as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko