Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat

Bartender
No, unfortunately not. Man I feel for you, I'd rather wear a mouldy jacket than one with another men's cologne.

I've tried the ozone machine, I've trying spraying it with vodka, laying it out in the sun for a week, nothing helped.
That is disheartening to hear the ozone generator doesn't work on cologne odor. When it got the smoke smell out of my kitchen, I thought it would de–deodorize anything.

As an aside, how does a jacket pickup the smell of cologne? Wouldn't it have to be applied directly to the jacket?

Then what’s a good use for the Ozone machine? Before purchasing it I’d like to know if it actually works.

Soaking a leather jacket shouldn’t be a problem though. Leather is tough and can resist that. After all even leather shoes are made with wet/mellow leather and nothing is used after that except polishing the uppers.

Smoke, BO, toddler spilling yogurt in the back seat of a vehicle, not telling my wife and then it sits in the south Florida sun for days (god awful smell). I’m surprised it was useless on cologne. Must have been some Puerto Rican or Dominican on a Drakkar overload. Plenty of those in my family and it can be overwhelming.

willyto

One Too Many
Smoke, BO, toddler spilling yogurt in the back seat of a vehicle, not telling my wife and then it sits in the south Florida sun for days (god awful smell). I’m surprised it was useless on cologne. Must have been some Puerto Rican or Dominican on a Drakkar overload. Plenty of those in my family and it can be overwhelming.
Sounds good enough. It’s interesting because one could use it on the entire wardrobe or flat(my flat is very very small).

Specially with vintage clothes that you don’t want to be soaking (suits and sport coats)

Sounds good enough. It’s interesting because one could use it on the entire wardrobe or flat(my flat is very very small).

Specially with vintage clothes that you don’t want to be soaking (suits and sport coats)

Yessir. Lots of uses. I do my closets from time to time. Some smells require a bit more time but it’s worked for me.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Like jmax said, cigarette smoke, bo, mould / mildew.

As an aside, how does a jacket pickup the smell of cologne? Wouldn't it have to be applied directly to the jacket?

Some sellers think it's a good idea to spray a jacket with their cologne before shipping it, in order to mask / cover any vintage smell.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
As a chemist, this discussion on cologne smell sent my brain into overdrive. It is disappointing that ozone does nothing. Maybe concentrate it more, ie run the generator in a large sealed garbage bag with the jacket? Carefully, of course, maybe outdoors. Then quickly remove the generator and continue keeping the jacket in the bag for a day or two. Ozone is unstable, will decompose. Other than that, the perfume compounds in colognes are volatile (ie they slowly evaporate with body heat - that's how they work). So my last resort would be to heat the jacket somehow. No more than 100F, for an extended period. Problem is that the heat treatment will dry it out, but oils can be replenished.

dwilson

A-List Customer
This discussion has lead me to buying an ozone machine as well. My jacket despite my best efforts still smells faintly of cigarettes. Plus it’ll probably work well on the couch pillows that smell of dog.

petition to rename forum outerwear+ozone machines

Last edited:

dwilson

A-List Customer
Just bought one. I can’t get an ozone machine in California, so we will see if this unit works. I have 2 that have been in the garage all Summer but still stink- after the jackets (if successful) it’ll go into my teenage son’s room/ closet.

hm I bought one off Amazon and they didn’t seem to care it’s shipping to CA. Haven’t gotten it yet but I’d assume if they couldn’t ship Amazon wouldn’t allow it.

I ordered one from Home Depot and Walmart in the past and they wouldn’t deliver to my zip code in LA. State laws, etc, etc.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Damn, the state of California really has it in for leather jacket enthusiasts - no ozone, no kangaroo hide. A great state, love Cali, but man, so nanny. I can proxy-buy for you guys in Jersey and bring it over next month. ;)

Peacoat

Bartender
As a chemist, this discussion on cologne smell sent my brain into overdrive. It is disappointing that ozone does nothing. Maybe concentrate it more, ie run the generator in a large sealed garbage bag with the jacket? Carefully, of course, maybe outdoors. Then quickly remove the generator and continue keeping the jacket in the bag for a day or two. Ozone is unstable, will decompose. Other than that, the perfume compounds in colognes are volatile (ie they slowly evaporate with body heat - that's how they work). So my last resort would be to heat the jacket somehow. No more than 100F, for an extended period. Problem is that the heat treatment will dry it out, but oils can be replenished.
Good to hear from a chemist on this subject.

As the perfume compounds are volatile, they should evaporate in the warm sunlight.

I'm really surprised the ozone generator didn't do the job on the cologne odor. Maybe try it again in a smaller space and leave it on longer. The one Marc has is similar to the one I have and is a powerful machine.

Carefully follow the directions in using it. If the directions say to stay out of the room for 30 minutes after the generator shuts off, I would stay out for an hour, and then open the door cautiously.

Maybe something has changed, it’s been a year or so. Please let me know how they work when they arrive.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The way I understand is that stink is from bacteria off gassing. So cleaning airing out or use ozone kills those grimy bacterias and therefore no more off gassing or stink.
Cologne or perfume on the other hand was designed to use chemical properties of ingredients to have “staying power”. And they are usually alcohol based so alcohol only boost the cologne not kill them. Sigh…
I don’t mind dirty or grimy smells. But other dudes or dudettes no. And the most unfortunate part is they are keeper jackets too. The search continues…

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The way I understand is that stink is from bacteria off gassing. So cleaning airing out or use ozone kills those grimy bacterias and therefore no more off gassing or stink.
Cologne or perfume on the other hand was designed to use chemical properties of ingredients to have “staying power”. And they are usually alcohol based so alcohol only boost the cologne not kill them. Sigh…
I don’t mind dirty or grimy smells. But other dudes or dudettes no. And the most unfortunate part is they are keeper jackets too. The search continues…
Yeah, but ozone also kills cigarette smell which has nothing to do with bacteria. Ozone efficacy depends on whether the target is susceptible to oxidation. Bacteria, mold and spores are super-sensitive, so they get killed quickly by ozone. Cigarette smoke products are also susceptible to oxidation by ozone, apparently. The perfume compounds may or not be, depending on their chemical structure. But generally, you are probably right, and evidence seems to bear it out - perfumes are not easily oxidized, so they are unchanged by ozone. I would still try the trick in a plastic bag to really hit them hard with ozone and see what happens.

Gromit

New in Town
Hello. I was in search for the lightweight autumn/spring jacket and bought the Halley Stevenson waxed jacket from Boden (old stock). However, recently I found out about the Greenfell company and their Greenfell cloth. It is both wind and water resistant and someone said that it is similar to Ventile. I found a vintage jacket from the same cloth for a good price. Do you advise to keep the Halley Stevensons waxed jacket or buy a Greenfell one? Both jackets are without any insulation, lightweight. I am just wondering which of these jackets will be more wind and water resistant

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
so probably the fragrance must be synthetic so it doesn't oxidate and perhaps imbued into oil so it doesn't easily evaporate and when sprayed on fabrics or porous material then it really get absorbed just like oil stain is difficult to clean then if the smell is carried by that oil it too will be difficult to neutralize

Jaswinder Singh

New in Town
How do I remove paint from a leather jacket? I inadvertently leaned against a pole and now I can some paint marks on my black leather jacket. I tried soap and cloth, and that didnt help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ