Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Attention BROOKS Owners- Can you let me know if your action backs open all the way down to the lower back panel?
This new jacket of mine is very tight, and seems that the bottom 4 inches of the action back has been sewn up. I'm wondering if I remove this extra line of stitching... will it fit me better?
5E775349-00F6-4966-A09D-DC4F7F7A201A.jpeg

A4546684-9277-40D1-995B-FFD86066ECCE.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
If the zip is original to the jacket, that is a very early 50's production. The repair on the bottom hole looks like it was done without the use of a gimp. However, the jacket looks very well done. The design kind of reminds me of a Californian. I have a nice Californian with those "football" articulations under the arms and the bottom back features. The belt loops also look Californian. But It could also be custom-made. Back in the day, they used to add details upon request. Cal and Trojan were known for that.

AHP91

Practically Family
If the zip is original to the jacket, that is a very early 50's production. The repair on the bottom hole looks like it was done without the use of a gimp. However, the jacket looks very well done. The design kind of reminds me of a Californian. I have a nice Californian with those "football" articulations under the arms and the bottom back features. The belt loops also look Californian. But It could also be custom-made. Back in the day, they used to add details upon request. Cal and Trojan were known for that.
Thank you very much for the info, as always. Sorry, but couldn't quite figure out - which hole are you referring to that was repaired? Thank you

Mandarin

Practically Family
Attention BROOKS Owners- Can you let me know if your action backs open all the way down to the lower back panel?
This new jacket of mine is very tight, and seems that the bottom 4 inches of the action back has been sewn up. I'm wondering if I remove this extra line of stitching... will it fit me better?
View attachment 527672
View attachment 527671
I have the same line of stitching. I think it's part of the pattern.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Thank you. It definitely makes it fit more snug than my Kehoe which is open down to the seam.
Have you considered the method Marc used to restore one of his jackets? If I remember correctly, after cleaning, he put pillows inside the jacket. I believe he was able to stretch the jacket a bit. He has a very nice treat with pictures. I have been contemplating using such a method to stretch a Cal.

I actually asked Marc about it. But this one has an original acrylic blue topcoat that might get damaged in a full soaking. I’m trying to stretch it slowly by kneading it, but sewn seams might prevent me from getting all the way to where I want it to be. I’ve already split the back seam a bit- not really a problem and an easy fix since it’s got no liner. The shoulders, chest, sleeves, and length are all great! It’s purely the stomach area that’s too tight. I need to lose 20bs…at 145-150 it would fit.

Last edited:

Booneville

New in Town
What can I use on a black leather jacket (cowhide) to bring some shine back? I looked up on Amazon and found conditioners like Bick's and Leather honey. And also minsk oil, which also waterproofs (not a need of mine).

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24