Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, I genuinely never thought of the Western yoke as something that would give additional range of movement. I’ve always liked it for aesthetic reasons.
I don't know whether this is generally the case. But I can observe it with my jackets. I had wondered why it felt slightly different despite the almost identical size and had put it down to the different yoke. The comment here then confirmed this a little.

unhatted

One of the Regulars
Can anyone identify this women’s Schott CHP?

In my hunt for the perfect side-laced cross zip I came across this jacket, which I suspected would be perfect for my partner, and nabbed it.

But it’s bugging me that I can’t identify it. In the good old days Gail would have known I’m sure, but maybe someone here can help? The zip-out lining, and with it the label, is missing, and the tags are too faded to see a model ID. From my research, the Schott tag on the coin pocket and lack of branding on the lining places it around 1983-84. That probably coincides with production of the 125w but all the pictures I’ve found of that model are slightly different in a) the shape of the ducktail b) the positioning of the lace holes and c) the lack of ventilation in the underarm footballs. The leather is considerably softer and more pliable than my 618, but much more robust than the lambskin I’ve seen used in European licenced Schotts. In any case, I think the leathercraft care label indicates the real US deal?

Any Schott experts help me out here? To give a sense of the stakes and importance here, my partner, who loves the jacket (I could dream of such a fit for my jackets!), could not care less about any of these details…

IMG_7091.jpeg
IMG_7092.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7096.jpeg
    IMG_7096.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7093.jpeg
    IMG_7093.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7097.jpeg
    IMG_7097.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27

mippo

New in Town
Is this type of stitching normal on a leather jacket? The stitching inside the gap looks like it could rip any moment if you move a little too much.

Attachments

• Jacket Stitching.jpg
    Jacket Stitching.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 75

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
Has anyone gotten a jacket with wool plaid liner?
What temperature conditions do they usually work well in? Thinking it may be too warm during most time of the year in NYC

Aloysius

Has anyone gotten a jacket with wool plaid liner?
What temperature conditions do they usually work well in? Thinking it may be too warm during most time of the year in NYC

Wool plaid could be any type of wool cloth. I have one that’s midweight/lightweight suit cloth, and I’d pretty comfortably wear that in NYC apart from in the summer. If it was super thick/heavy Mackinaw cloth or melton, I’d only be able to wear it on cold winter days.

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
Wool plaid could be any type of wool cloth. I have one that’s midweight/lightweight suit cloth, and I’d pretty comfortably wear that in NYC apart from in the summer. If it was super thick/heavy Mackinaw cloth or melton, I’d only be able to wear it on cold winter days.
Thanks, that helps!

ducttapecoder

New in Town
Are the leather jackets from Aero and Lewis Leathers enough for a beginner biker? If not then is there a way to retro-fit the armor into them?
I'm just planning to get a 125cc bike and commute to work about 12km each way. Max speed is only 80km/h.
Thank you.

Aloysius

Are the leather jackets from Aero and Lewis Leathers enough for a beginner biker? If not then is there a way to retro-fit the armor into them?
I'm just planning to get a 125cc bike and commute to work about 12km each way. Max speed is only 80km/h.
Thank you.

Aero no, Lewis yes if you get one of their armoured Urban Rider jackets.

Ask Urban Rider if they can order you one; otherwise, ask Lewis if they can make you one, considering they presumably still have the patterns.

Biff42

One of the Regulars
Who do you all take your jackets to to have zippers replaced? If in the USA, do you use a local alterations person or mail it off to someone?

For a zip only, probably Dena or JL. I’d send Vanson back to Vanson but did recently have Dena install a two-way 10 Riri on my Force.

Aloysius

Im in Atlanta.

There may be someone local who does such work, like in Virginia there's Bedo's Leatherworks.

Otherwise there are options like Johnson in SF, Dena (Great Leather) in Illinois (though she's taking a break right now due to arm issues I believe; I pray she recovers soon), Zoltan in Berkeley, and doubtless others I don't know of.

Some makers like Schott have very reasonable rates for such repairs to their own products, so if yours is one of them that is also an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner