Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
Do you guys ask for updates when you order a MTO jacket?

I was quoted 8 weeks 11 weeks ago and I wonder if it’s ok to ask for an ETA.

Observe

One Too Many
Anyone ever had a jacket made of kudu? Saw this jacket on the Thurston Bros site and I like the way it looks. I have a pair of kudu boots and quite like the leather. AeroMoonshinerKuduGentlyWornfront.jpg

cbez

One Too Many
any lost worlds wanna weigh in on this leather?

I didnt know they did brown core.

i-img900x1200-1715121352zlczhz499539.jpg
i-img900x1200-1715121352ctcmim499539.jpg

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
any lost worlds wanna weigh in on this leather?

I didnt know they did brown core.

View attachment 616792 View attachment 616793

From the jackets I've gotten, they're meant to be dyed-through black. For some of the denser parts of the hide, the dye may not penetrate all the way and you have this white stripe in the center as show in the pull below:

IMG_2224.jpg

The only kind of brown-core I've seen is on LW's russet hide.

Maybe this leather is from an older tanning process or exclusive to Japanese market? But I'll leave that to customers with more experience than me.

From talking to Stu (and he's made this well-known publicly), he is no fan of tea-core or "antique" effect.
I don't know for certain, but I got the feeling that he's not necessarily against black fading to brown core - just hates the idea of hides being deliberately treated to show such wear relatively quickly.

Last edited:

cbez

One Too Many
Any recs for patterns with a short back length and longer front length? Similar to the buena vista.

hieu

A-List Customer
Hey guys, does anyone have recommendations for where to source Mouton for a replacement collar? I got this sweet Hercules coming but the collar looks a bit crusty.
i-img900x1200-1714182261pog6tl248175.jpg

cbez

One Too Many

curious what you guys think of this orgueil

Observe

One Too Many

curious what you guys think of this orgueil
Immediate thought is why would they put the side adjusters at the middle of the gusset instead of the bottom like most other cossacks? Longer body? Screenshot_20240608_214248_Brave.jpg

also asked in the vanson thread. does anyoen know if this teacore horsehide was horween?
View attachment 620093

No idea on this jacket but they did use a Horween hide in the gold version of the Left Field Commando. It was CXL but different. @Carlos840 owned one. It passed through my hands a couple few years ago. This HH looks different but it’s been awhile and my recall may be off.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’m sure this has been asked in 205 pages but for a refresher, y do some sleeves develope ribs or waves that stay when you take the jacket off? I‘m guessing the tanning type….?

newtojackets

Practically Family
I’m sure this has been asked in 205 pages but for a refresher, y do some sleeves develope ribs or waves that stay when you take the jacket off? I‘m guessing the tanning type….?
I’ve heard it’s horsehide that is more likely to do that, might be wrong though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart