Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Vintage Menswear Expert- Everything to Know About Vintage Suits!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
OK, so the Vintage Bug has bitten me once again. I tried very hard to contain it and keep it focused on Shoes only, but...

Just spending time alone at the computer on FL can be dangerous stuff. I perused some old posts on Vintage Suits, and decided... "Well, this I've gotta try!"

As always, the problem was that there are soooo many choices out there. One cannot rely on Ebay sellers (I've tried this with shoes, and stopped trying when I saw the 100th pair of Florsheim Longwings listed as "1940's Shoes". Sadly, although there is a TON of great info on FL (thanks, guys!!!!), it is much more difficult to get specific questions answered and specific info one may need to make a particular purchase.

After some Internet Research, I ran into this!!!

http://www.facebook.com/AskVintageMenswearExpert

AND, it's run by our old friend, Marc Chevalier!!!! When he left this site, I thought it would be impossible to get some of those Vintage Answers that are buried for so long, but THANK GOODNESS I found this. So, fellow Loungers, we've still got Marc. EVen though he's on Facebook now, he seems more than happy to assist in our Vintage Expeditions for answers & fine items. I am contacting him right now to get some help on my first Fabulous Vintage Suit.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Whilst it is good to see that MC is still out there waiting to share his knowledge, I would add one point.
If you are looking for information on European or British suits, you might be better off asking some of the European members such as Baron Kurtz, HBK, Quirel, and newcomers such as Fastuni in Germany etc whose knowledge of suits from this part of the world is very broad and whose ability to date and work out the origins of a suit is most impressive. If you look at the threads on British, French and German suits you'll see plenty of very detailed discussion.

I mention this, not to undermine Marc's considerable knowledge, but simply to point out that other options and specialities are out there.

P.S. Good luck with finding the perfect vintage suit. Don't forget we will be waiting to see photos of the results of your search.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
No accident at all, it's meant as a compliment to all the experts among us. It is simply my intention that, whilst those of us wanting to learn about vintage clothing, should lament the fact that (for whatever reasons) Mr Chevalier no longer posts here, we should not forget that there are plenty of other experts in their own fields still here and still posting regularly.

P.S. I was looking at MC's facebook page today and there's a fascinating piece about a vintage shop (now closed) that was operating back in the 1970s and was fundamental to the expansion of the vintage collectors scene. Definitely worth a read.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Two Types for including my modest self in your commendation of those who share their expertise (i.e. on European suits) at the FL.

The more knowledge the better. It's good to have the give and take of opinions and experiences of various collectors, experts and enthusiasts - each one with a slightly different "special area". Whether at the FL or elsewhere.

Best Regards

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Fastuni, the reason I included you is that you are a relative newcomer but have posted photos of suits that have sparked discussions, such as the discussion over whether a suit was French or German. Those are the discussions I like to learn from.

I used you as an example of how there always seems to be someone new to make genuine contribution to the threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails