Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask Your Dentist

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New alert folks- just heard this morning that about 15% of the dental lab work is actually done offshore and unsurprisingly things from China have had lead in them.:( Ask your dentist.

Twitch

Labs that are doing dental bridges and partials and such send their work to be done to China and other countries outside the US. The pieces coming from China have lead in them.:( If I had anything done I'd ask my dentist where it came from for obvious reasons.

Miss 1929

And we should all consider having our fillings changed...

Most of the fillings are silver and MERCURY amalgam. Only the most toxic of metals...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
Mee tooooooo *eeeeeeeeeeeeekkk*!

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was in college. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I got them done one side at a time, though. I wasn't brave enough to get both sides pulled at once!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
I had my wisdom teeth out when I was in college. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I got them done one side at a time, though. I wasn't brave enough to get both sides pulled at once!

I just hope they knock me out BEFORE they do...anything.

I have a history of having random panic attacks in the dentist's chair. It's the novocaine needles they stick in the sides of your mouth that freak me out the most! A few years ago when I had to have a tooth pulled, I made such a fuss about the needle that they just ended up pulling it without the novocaine. I stand by my conviction that whatever pain I endured that day was absolutely nothing compared to the horror of needles in my mouth.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i had a filling about 5 years ago...but it was one of those clear or white ones or whatever that you see...i dunno...

wisdom teeth aint bad cause they really knock ya out...i was so knocked out i was humming and singing white xmas throughout the surgery...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
gluegungeisha said:
I just hope they knock me out BEFORE they do...anything.

I have a history of having random panic attacks in the dentist's chair. It's the novocaine needles they stick in the sides of your mouth that freak me out the most! A few years ago when I had to have a tooth pulled, I made such a fuss about the needle that they just ended up pulling it without the novocaine. I stand by my conviction that whatever pain I endured that day was absolutely nothing compared to the horror of needles in my mouth.

I loved having my wisdom teeth out! No needles in my mouth- just a big one in a juicy arm vein. Within seconds I was out and next thing I know it was finished and I was drooling with four fewer teeth. They gave me some good meds to help with the pain which I only needed for a few days. One thing, though- don't go online while on painkillers- you can get into trouble. lol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Well the surgeon gave me three choices - local anaesthetic, general, or a twilight heavy sedation thing. I don't know what to do! Last time I had a general I was not happy when I woke up...not sick, but definitely felt AWFUL. I am scared of the local in case it's harder than he thinks and ends up having trouble, which is what happened to my dad the last time he had a tooth out! :eek:

I think I am leaning towards the twilight thing, I will be awake but in Lala land, but if I don't "wake up" hopefully I won't get the unwell feeling.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I think this is all a bit of a scare, the tiny trace amounts of lead/mercury would probably not do any harm. I mean, people lived for years drinking water that ran through lead pipes. Not ideal but unless you have a whole mouth full of lead teeth I'm sure you'll be fine.

Smuts <----------- lives dangerously

I have had loads of fillings as I have a hereditary tooth problem that means I have no enamel on my teeth, I have them done without anaesthetic these days.

I might ask to be knocked out for root canal though, I quite like general anaesthetic, and I'd be too embarassed that I'd gibber nonsense under a heavy sedation.

I hope everyones dental work goes well!

My best friend can't come to see me for my birthday this weekend (we've been planning this for weeks) because his wisdom teeth are giving him trouble. He's currently off work & will be taking himself down to a&e this afternoon. Poor soul.

I have had loads of teeth out because of my small mouth not being large enough for all of them lol. I was put to sleep with gas & woke up laughing like a looooon!!!! The other kids in the waiting room were terrified :D

Whenever I go to the dentist these days, I dread him trying to put a needle in my mouth. I just hate that pop that it makes...I always find myself backing up the chair away from him lol

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
And we should all consider having our fillings changed...

Most of the fillings are silver and MERCURY amalgam. Only the most toxic of metals...

Problem for a lot of people is that insurance usually will only cover the silver fillings. The white ones are considered "cosmetic".

MrFusion said:
Problem for a lot of people is that insurance usually will only cover the silver fillings. The white ones are considered "cosmetic".

:eek: Really? That's so ridiculous. I don't think people realise how lucky we are to have the NHS.

It makes me really angry, as much as I hate him, I watched Michael Moore's Sicko the other day and I was seething by the end of it.

But I guess this should be in a completely different thread

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Yep. When I got my first filling, I ask the dentist which I should get and he suggested the white ones more because they are less prone to swelling and shrinking from heat and cold. Apparently the silver ones, over time, shrink and swell and can become loose so they could need to be replaced at some point whereas the white ones will last longer. As an added benefit, the white ones are difficult to see when you smile (you know, the cosmetic part :) ).

Now I don't fear Dentists but I'm no fan of the drill either, so if I can get a filling that will hopefully keep me from getting the drill again, I'm all over it! ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I admit it - I'm scared of the dentist. My last one had to give me three shots of novacaine because he didn't get it in the right spot the first time. I was NOT happy. :mad:

I'm going to a different dentist this next time, though. And I really wouldn't mind being knocked out for the entire procedure. My only fear is that I don't know what they'll be doing while I'm under - I don't want to wake up and find half my teeth gone! ;) ;)

Daisy Buchanan

MrFusion said:
Yep. When I got my first filling, I ask the dentist which I should get and he suggested the white ones more because they are less prone to swelling and shrinking from heat and cold. Apparently the silver ones, over time, shrink and swell and can become loose so they could need to be replaced at some point whereas the white ones will last longer. As an added benefit, the white ones are difficult to see when you smile (you know, the cosmetic part :) ).

Now I don't fear Dentists but I'm no fan of the drill either, so if I can get a filling that will hopefully keep me from getting the drill again, I'm all over it! ;)

OK, the white ones that you keep talking about are called composite fillings, just so you know. Also, nothing is stronger than a silver filling. Yes, one day your fillings might have to be replaced, maybe 40 or 50 years from now possibly. If it's earlier than that, you need a new dentist! Composite fillings aren't strong enough to handle more than a certain amount of pounds of pressure. Any type of filling may eventually, after many years, have to be replaced. Composite (white) fillings should technically only be used on surface areas of your anterior teeth, and can be used on surface areas of posterior's but should not be used to fill in the center (your dentist might say occlusal surface, the surface that has contact with the surface of the opposite tooth), anyway, shouldn't be done because the pounds per pressure thing, the material just isn't strong enough.
There are newer, stronger dental materials being used, but haven't been in use long enough to really know the full benefit.

Also, this whole 15% of dental work being contracted out to Japan is kind of silly to me. I mean, there are dental labs all over the place, and pricing is now becoming very competitive because dentists can actually now make these material right in their office. 15% is actually a prett y small number! Also, it's silly to contract out because the cost of shipping is so high. These dentists who are doing this must be in an area with absolutely no dental lab.
If you are going to a dentist who does ship out, I'd find another one!
Remember, your dental health is a major part of your over all health. You wouldn't go to a bad doctor, so I'd assume you would also go to a dentist who talks to you, gives you different options. Dentistry isn't just a cosmetic thing. Dental problems are linked to heart disease, diabetes, low birth weight babies.

Also remember, amalgams have been used for over 100 years. Yes they do have mercury in them, but they are placed with quite a few other elements to make the mercury stable, this small amount of stable mercury is harmless. It wouldn't still be in use as the number one option of dentists for larger surface area fillings if it were dangerous. I mean come on, how many stories have you heard about someone dying from mercury poisoning from a filling??

Good luck to everyone getting their wisdom teeth out. It's painless, you won't remember a thing, and you will get some nice medications to take home with you, and the doc might also give you your pulled teeth too, if you want them:eek:

Daisy Buchanan

AmateisGal said:
I admit it - I'm scared of the dentist. My last one had to give me three shots of novacaine because he didn't get it in the right spot the first time. I was NOT happy. :mad:

I'm going to a different dentist this next time, though. And I really wouldn't mind being knocked out for the entire procedure. My only fear is that I don't know what they'll be doing while I'm under - I don't want to wake up and find half my teeth gone! ;) ;)

My gosh, you make it sound like the dentist is the devil!! Just to let you know, the dentist might not have been able to numb you because every persons anatomy is different. He could aim that needle in one spot on one person and get it the first time, and the next person it could take 3 times. Sadly, unlike drawing blood from an arm where for most of the time the phlebotomist can see a vein, in dentistry we can't see them , they're hiding behind thick tissue that is wet and not translucent. Also, every person responds differently to novacaine. One shot might do the job on some, other might need a lot more than that. So, it's not that your doctor missed anything, you might just have a higher tolerance for that kind of numbing procedure. So, it doesn't make your dentist incompetent if it takes more than one shot to numb you up. It's better that he kept giving you more than telling you that one was all you could get. Imagine if you had the procedure not numb at all.
If you do find a dentist to sedate you for a procedure, I'm pretty sure he won't pull out all of your teeth. He's gotta actually get your permission to do anything, and you have to sign a piece of paper before you go under stating exactly what is going to happen.

I'm really sad that so many people hate the dentist:( We people in the dental field aren't as bad as you're making us sound!! Surprisingly we actually have our patients best interest at heart. We do have a code of ethics to follow, and they are adhered to. It always seems to come down to money too. What you may not understand is that dental insurance is different than medical. I know quite a few dentists who are waiting for pay outs from insurance companies from years ago. I guess it's frustrating because like I said in my other post, dental health is just as much a part of your over all health as say your hearth health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner