Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Sometimes Brim Gotta Be Down

Me with fast, skinny dog on head.

whippet2.jpg

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
I like to channel my inner Ed Norton.

That was a Honeymooners reference to all you youngsters out there. It was a fifties TV show with Jackie Gleason and Art Carney. Jackie Gleason was... oh, the hell with it...

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
EVEN-STEVEN said:

That was a Honeymooners reference to all you youngsters out there. It was a fifties TV show with Jackie Gleason and Art Carney. Jackie Gleason was... oh, the hell with it...

lol lol lol

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
EVEN-STEVEN said:

Sheriff Buford T. Justice :D :D :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I remembered these today and they are Whippet-ish. These are both Dobbs Hanover Square models. I'm thinkin' this must've been Dobbs' answer to the Whippet. Now, I'm a big fan of Stetson but I really think Dobbs 'one-upped' them with these. I have two Whippets and these two Hanovers and the Hans are lighter, yet denser feeling felt with a finer finish. I prefer them.
DSC_0010.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Gene, I'll add that to my list of "acceptable substitutes." More than acceptable, actually. Fact is, I don't care if what I've got on my head is a Stetson or something I've never heard of, I just want a hat that looks like that. In fact, buying a Dobbs would be perfect, since all I own currently are new Dobbs.

-Dave

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I don't own any Whippets but have three that are Whippet-esque.

First, a 1930s Adams with a pleated bow.
Adams001.jpg

Adams003.jpg

Secondly, my Champ Diplomat.
ChampDiplomat003.jpg

Champ003.jpg

Last but not least, another Champ.
DSCF1095.jpg

retro50

Familiar Face
These are my Whippets. The first two pics are of a mint NOS that I won on ebay, 7-1/8 long oval, my size. It seems to like the teardrop crease. I posted earlier about this one on "ebay Wins...."

DSCN0560.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

The second two pics are of a Royal Stetson which is virtually identical to my Whippet but without the designation. I call it my "Whippet-ish" The body is in awsome condition while the ribbon and binding are faded. It is currently at the local hatters being cleaned, steamed and shaped, and from there it will get a new ribbon and binding of a different colour. The body is natural. It seems to like the diamond.
DSCN0603.jpg

DSCN0604.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
After looking through this thread (at all the wonderful hats) the Whippet-style is quickly becoming my second favorite style...after the Open Road of course.

Nice hats all! :eusa_clap The colors are especially nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn