Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
And here are two more Whippets, in slightly different shades of green:

Right2-1.jpg

Right-5.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

GWD

One Too Many
HatDoc said:
GWD,

Do you need a 1/8 or 1/4 in these? My Open Road 1/8 is a bit small.

Thanks,

Randy

?????? What are you saying? You have a green or blue whippet or Open Road?

Do tell:D

GWD

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
GWD -- I love how you have dived into all of this with wild abandon. Nicely done! Those three Whippets are beautiful! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks Jimmy, This has been a really fun 3 months! I've learned so much about hats and other things vintage, and made some pretty cool friends too!

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
?????? What are you saying? You have a green or blue whippet or Open Road?

Do tell:D

Oh.....sorry. After re-reading my post, I see that it's rather confusing. :eek:

What I meant was this: Do you wear your usual size 7-1/8 in a Whippet? The Open Road that I bought is a 7-1/8, but it fits a little tight. So, I'm looking for a 7-1/4.

Do your Whippets fit true to size? I'd like to get one, but I want to be sure to get the right size.

Thanks.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I hate you all. I desperately want a Whippet and have since I got back into hats and discovered what they were. However, they never seem to come up for sale in 7 3/8 and when they do it's never in my price range. I've only discovered a couple possible substitutes - the Lee Trinity (which I see even less often) and possibly an Akubra Federation with brim binding added.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, either vintage or modern?

-Dave

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got no suggestions for getting one on the cheap.
I'm a 7 1/2, so I feel your ebay whippet pain.
If you're willing and able to shell out the cash, you can always give Art a ring. Fit and condition, unlike an ebay buy, are certain to be perfect.

Here are a couple of Whippet(ish) hats he's made for other Loungers:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25895
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13616&page=15
(scroll to Indycop's hat on that latter link)

David Conwill said:
Oh, I hate you all. I desperately want a Whippet and have since I got back into hats and discovered what they were. However, they never seem to come up for sale in 7 3/8 and when they do it's never in my price range. I've only discovered a couple possible substitutes - the Lee Trinity (which I see even less often) and possibly an Akubra Federation with brim binding added.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, either vintage or modern?

-Dave

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have read that Stetson will be recreating The Whippet for a fall '08 debut. Maybe Besador, Aaron or Stetson-guy-who-never-comes-by-anymore could elucidate? [huh]

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I've got no suggestions for getting one on the cheap.
I'm a 7 1/2, so I feel your ebay whippet pain.

Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

If you're willing and able to shell out the cash, you can always give Art a ring. Fit and condition, unlike an ebay buy, are certain to be perfect.

Willing, yes. Able, not yet.

-Dave

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
The second one has a wind trolley? Is that rare on a whippet?

Until you mentioned it, Bart, I had never given that one any thought. But, it looks like that second green Whippet may be the only lid posted in this thread with a wind trolley. Normally, you can't take too much from the absence of a wind trolley, since these often fall by the wayside over time. But, in this case, it does seem that you may be on to something. I've reviewed a bunch of Stetson ads, and there is an ad from 1950 that shows a wind trolley, but I can't find any ads post-1950 that show that feature on the Whippet. Hmmmmm...

Here is a similar lid with a wind trolley from 1948 -- a Royal Stetson DeLuxe that has Whippet specs (so I think it qualifies for this thread ;)):

48RoyalDeLuxe3_.jpg

48RoyalDeLuxe2_.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

GWD

One Too Many
HatDoc said:
Oh.....sorry. After re-reading my post, I see that it's rather confusing. :eek:

What I meant was this: Do you wear your usual size 7-1/8 in a Whippet? The Open Road that I bought is a 7-1/8, but it fits a little tight. So, I'm looking for a 7-1/4.

Do your Whippets fit true to size? I'd like to get one, but I want to be sure to get the right size.

Thanks.

HatDoc, every hat I've purchased so far has been either too tight or too loose, I haven't had one yet that has been perfect, I have a hat stretcher I use for the tight ones and a hat block I use to "shrink" the loose ones. I think it's unreasonable to expect a hat that is 40 to 50 years of age being stored in a myriad of conditions to fit just because the tag says a certain size. But I do take comfort in knowing, if I buy a 7 1/8 hat If I stretch or shrink it, it will not look distorted. Hope that helps.

Gary

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I don't have any Whippets but I have a couple Whippet clones. They okay in this thread?

BTW, fantastic lids everyone. Some of the colors are spectacular.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GWD said:
Is that Gridiron Gray? ^^^ Man....I need a green one too!
I don't know how it's showing on your monitor, but it's just a tad darker than the actual photo......

I checked under the sweat for a color code and came up with nothing....just the block number and the name "Caribou", don't think that's the color though. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn