Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At what weather temp is it time to put fur felt to sleep for the summer?

Landman

One Too Many
These are the reasons I chose a Silverbelly Akubra Campdraft as my "sun" hat--the lighter color doesn't get quite as warm, and the 2.88"/73mm brim offers decent protection without being overly wide. I've never been a "sun worshipper", but I had to have a small amount of basal cell carcinoma carved off of my nose in January of 2013 so I figured it was time to be more proactive.

I had to have a couple of basal cell carcinomas removed from the top of my head. That is when the dermatologist told me to stick with felt hats. It is not only the brim width that provides protection it is the felt crown too. A straw will allow UV rays through the crown...and brim too.

I had to have a couple of basal cell carcinomas removed from the top of my head. That is when the dermatologist told me to stick with felt hats. It is not only the brim width that provides protection it is the felt crown too. A straw will allow UV rays through the crown...and brim too.

Wow. Thanks for the tip. I never thought about that. Hope all is well!
I wear my fur felts all year around as well.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Those who are year-round felt hat wearers (in warmer climes), what sort of felt hat are you wearing? (Not bowlers, for instance, I assume).

I picked up a Barmah squashy roo as my "summer hat". It's still a bit hot, but I sweat at the least provocation, hat or no.

Wool at first, but now hare or hare blend or... I don't know what the felt is for the FedIV exactly. I know that in a very general term, it's rabbit felt.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
I have several hats in silverbelly for the summer. I wear a straw occasionally, but mostly felt. Always keep that Florida sun off by bald head!

Those who are year-round felt hat wearers (in warmer climes), what sort of felt hat are you wearing? (Not bowlers, for instance, I assume)...
I currently have five fedoras--two Akubra Fed IVs, two Akubra Campdrafts, and one Cane's Creations custom made by our own Cane Rod Maker (which I'm wearing in my current avatar photo).

...It is not only the brim width that provides protection it is the felt crown too. A straw will allow UV rays through the crown...and brim too.
That's an important bit of information for those of us who wear hats for sun protection. :thumb:

...I don't know what the felt is for the FedIV exactly. I know that in a very general term, it's rabbit felt.
If it's Akubra's Imperial Quality felt, it's a rabbit fur felt; if it's Akubra's Heritage Quality felt it's a combination of rabbit and hare.

How does the rabbit differ from a rabbit+hare blend?
You can read The Hattery's description of the differences here. All four of my Akubras are Imperial Quality felt, so I have no personal experience with the Heritage Quality felt. Hopefully one or more of the members here who has experience with both will read this thread and offer their opinions.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wear a heavy felt hat (Cattleman) in 118 degree heat. The Akubra was designed for the parched outback. I tend to wear hats in sunshine and that's to protect my skin from the nasty rays down here. Straw won't offer the same protection.

Last edited:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Since many of my hats are 70-90 years old, I don't regularly subject them to the harsh sun. I get my summer hats from a company called Coolibar. It has a ridiculously wide brim. It makes Joao's hats look like a kiddy hat, lol. It also has a built in SPF 50. I also have never been a sun worshiper, as the heat makes me uncomfortable and I hate being sweaty. Once my dermatologist informed me several years ago that even my bronze colored skin can be susceptible to skin cancer and that the sun accelerates the aging process I became extremely vigilant when it comes to guarding against it so I use sunscreen every single day I am out in the sun.

So I would say that I retire the felt in May and then I pick it back up in October.

Edward

Bartender
Unfortunately, I've been in straws and linen since early-mid May. I prefer felt, but once the temperatures reach anything over 20C (I have no understanding of Fahrenheit), felt is too hot - with the exception of my Akubra Riverina, which is vented. I assume it's the venting stops the sweat stains appearing on that one... though even then, I was outside in Beijing on Friday in 34C heat, and sweatedc through a straw hat. I really hate the Summer.

Unfortunately, I've been in straws and linen since early-mid May. I prefer felt, but once the temperatures reach anything over 20C (I have no understanding of Fahrenheit).

What's so hard about Farenheit? You simply arbitrarily set the freezing point of an ammonium chloride solution at 0, the freezing/melting point of water at 7.5 and body temperature at 22.5. You then multiply times four and recalibrate to make freezing water at 32 and body temperature at 96. You then bisect that interval 6 times for a total of 64 intervals, or "degrees" between the two endpoints. So much easier than that whole decimal thing you guys got going.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
I would assume then that my silver belly Disney OR clone would be ok, I'm just hesitant since the sweat still needs replaced and I am a heavy sweater known to have ruined both leather and cheap metal banded watches... I have considered pulling out one of my Cubs straws I got at a game before(shown below...)

Pay no mind to the brims... They got lost in the closet this winter.... :( side question, best way to fix those?

56EC77EA-3898-4704-B482-4FCFA53180B5_zpshekehveb.jpg

861DFD93-1241-4358-AD34-AD1FCD57F6CD_zpskdqw5djp.jpg

...Once my dermatologist informed me several years ago that even my bronze colored skin can be susceptible to skin cancer and that the sun accelerates the aging process I became extremely vigilant when it comes to guarding against it so I use sunscreen every single day I am out in the sun...
I know this doesn't apply to you, but I'm always somewhat amused when I hear a "white" person express surprise that a "person of color" can tan, experience sunburn, develop skin cancer, or experience any of the sun's other detrimental effects. Skin is skin regardless of pigmentation, and everyone needs to be cautious about overexposure if they want to remain healthy. I don't like that "oil slick" feeling of sunscreen on my face so I've chosen to wear wide-brimmed hats instead, even though I know they're not quite as effective.

By the way, I sincerely apologize if my terminology (i.e., "white" and "person of color") isn't what's considered to be "politically correct" these days, but the "PC Police" have changed what is and isn't acceptable so many times during my lifetime that the only thing I'm certain of are the terms that are clearly intended to be derogatory and/or insulting.

...I don't know if 100º F are hot or not. For me 40º C is already too hot.
100°F converts to approximately 38°C. Conversely, 40°C converts to approximately 104°F. Regardless, anything over 85°F/29°C is too hot for me; I much prefer cooler weather. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner