Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atlanta Air Show Report - SBD Thrills!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

Just got back from the Atlanta Air Show - and yeah, everyone and their mother was there to see the Blue Angels. Well, they were good, but the few warbirds there were better. The Dixie Wing showed up with their C-45 Expeditor, Japanese Kate and that other one, the Navy dive bomber trainer and the SBD Dauntless. The B-25 Mitchell Panchito was also there. (Priestyboy! You weren't there again! I missed you at the WWII day a week ago and now you're AWOL again - Am I going to have to join the CAF to finally meet you?!:eusa_doh: )

I digress. Anyway, I was all decked out in my "close enough" USAAF gear and people were once again asking me, "Are you the pilot?" As a T-6 did crazy aerobatics overhead, I was sitting in the cockpit of the SBD! Later, the pilots of the B-25 and I had lunch together. After that, something very cool happened.

A woman named Pam came up to me and asked me if I was with the B-25 guys. I said "No," and she started asking me if the B-25J was another kind of airplane she said was called a J-something. She was confused, but obviously on a mission. Ms. Pressmore came to the air show with an envelope with numbers scribbled on the back, the names of airplanes her uncle, Walter Young, flew in the war. She didn’t know what planes they were when he told them to her over the phone and she didn’t expect to find his combat airplane waiting for her. I realized the list she had on the envelope was written in the order he told them to her, the order he TRAINED in them, ending with the SBD!

When I told her that, I told her what the SBD was and that it was rare. She said, "Oh, I guess there's not an SBD here is there..." I replied, "The SBD is very rare. There are only three that fly in the world...and one of them is right behind you."

I admit, I set her up a bit, b/c the SBD was 100 feet over her shoulder facing her back, but you should have seen her eyes light up! She was all smiles as she sat in the cockpit of the Dixie Wing’s SBD Dauntless dive bomber saying, "Get a picture! I can't wait to show my uncle!"

What are the odds???? I was really happy she was so lucky today. It was a good day.

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Sorry I missed it

Sorry I missed the airshow and though I was at the WWII Day last week, I was AWOL this week. Work obligations.

That's a great story about the SBD. It was wonderful that you were able to bring the lady so close to her family's past and help her make that connection.

As one who could wear my WWII Navy pilot impression and sit in an SBD all day and never get tired, I'm so glad you imparted your SBD knowledge to her and brought to the forefront the rarity of our bird. Then to have providence of the SBD come from high on her six, just too incredible.

I welcome you to consider joining the Dixie wing..it's well worth it and yes, they'll let you sit in the plane, for free, and look like a goober just sitting there but feelling like a king. PM me if your interested.

sbd234

New in Town
NAS Atlanta air Show

MD
Thanks for the story. I was there(in my navy dungarees I think) and talked to you about the SBD and joining the Dixie Wing. That was great that the woman could see the "Dauntless".
As for Priestboy, he has been AWOL too many times. We will deal with him later.(Just kidding Jeff) Now he has a legit excuse to be AWOL.
Take care and keep in touch.
Charles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21