Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attention New Hat Buyers and Wearers!!!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to offer a suggestion to anyone who is buying (one of) their first hat(s):

Buy new.

The reasons are simply these:

1. Support hat makers and retailers, especially those who support these boards. If you have the money - and if you're looking for a vintage borsalino on ebay, you must - then support one of the custom hatters you hear about here. These guys are saving the craft and taking it into the 21st C. They deserve whatever support they can get.

2. It is getting difficult to find good vintage hats at good prices (especially) on ebay. Be patient, sit, wait, learn what you like, know what you want and bid/buy wisely. Mad bidding on everything in sight makes ebay an even less reliable source for these items than it already is.

3. Chances are you'll be buying more than one hat, and you'd end up buying new anyway at some point. Why not make it the starting point.

4. Not every vintage hat is a treasure. Some are stinky and decrepit. Some have shrunk and look like crap, even when you clean them up because some hats always did look like crap. (see 2, and see 1)

That's all.
:cheers1:

S

Samsa

I generally agree with you. Three of my four hats were bought new from my local hatter, who I hope will continue to stay in business.

That said, I was giddier than a schoolgirl when I found a vintage Cavanagh out west on vacation this summer, and certainly plan on keeping my eye out for similar finds whenever I happen into an antique store or flea market.

Fedorista

Familiar Face
jake_fink said:
Not every vintage hat is a treasure. Some are stinky and decrepit. Some have shrunk and look like crap, even when you clean them up because some hats always did look like crap.

And those damned cooties, too!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Samsa said:
I generally agree with you. Three of my four hats were bought new from my local hatter, who I hope will continue to stay in business.

That said, I was giddier than a schoolgirl when I found a vintage Cavanagh out west on vacation this summer, and certainly plan on keeping my eye out for similar finds whenever I happen into an antique store or flea market.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying buy only new. (I have to be careful; sometimes what I write is... misinterrpuratoed.) And I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on a chance to be giddy as a school girl (or, for that matter, to dress like a school girl), so I do also highly recommend keeping both eyes open in vintage thread-marts.

So, well done!

farnham54

A-List Customer
jake_fink said:
(or, for that matter, to dress like a school girl),

There are some people who I will certainly, and quite gladly, miss the opportunity to see them dressed as a school girl.

As far as buying new--Yes please. Very good point, and I may add/paraphrase an underlying point: People new to hats (Like myself--I've worn hats for 4 years, but I only own 3, and really 2 if you consider that 2 of them are federations) do not know what they want. We do not know what colors, brim widths, crown heights, etc. we want/look good in.

If we buy new, we can send 'em back, and save ourselves all kinds of headaches. We can get expert advice from the hatters themselves. We can spend our money knowing that it's not going to some random individual who may or may not be a reputable seller; if the latter is true it can spoil the hat buying experience permanently and force a man back to his ballcap.

Also, while I admire the postal service immensly for their work, there ARE mistakes/mishandlings. The more a hat is handled by complete strangers who don't appreciate it for it's uniquenss and irreplacability, the more likley it is to go the way of the dodo. Selling, Buying, and re-selling vintage over and over again is asking for trouble and it's going to leave some poor sod high and dry for whom that hat you bought and sold is a perfect match.

Cheers
Craig

Russ

One of the Regulars
Yeah! I agree one hundred percent! Let's reduce the bidding competition on those eBay vintage hats and...OUCH, who just kicked me under the table?

Seriously, I have bought over 20 hats and none of them were vintage. Well, some of them are now...

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Make your own Vintage!!

Thats a good idea! Actually there are some very good hats out their waiting for first time owners at prices which are sometimes below what your paying for a crap shoot on Ebay. IMHO two hats which are my favorites are 1 vintage Dobbs 40 in Silver Belly and a brown Bailey I purchased couple months ago from Aarons Hats. Both can be worn all day without even knowing you have them on. I would say buy vintage very selectively and support modern hatters when possible. Thats the future!! Aint no more vintage until ours go up on Ebay (put their buy my widow).

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really like this idea. I too think we should support our vendors. In fact, I wonder if any of our vendors could head BCF off at the pass and get their hands on some of those budget hats and offer them to us. I'm sure they could double the prices at least on the $16.98 specials and we'd still buy them. Then I wish those same vendors could offer customizing with thin or thick ribbon of color choice and bow treatment, and slap a leather sweatband in them. Added cost, of course, but many of us could expand our vintage style collection while we hover like vultures over the e-bay desert with Christmas or birthday gift money for that "vintage" score.

dean

Feraud

Bartender
I would hope new hat buyers are aware of all their options. Shopping on online auction sites take a bit of knowlege and experience as opposed to getting a custom hat from one of our local vendors.
If I had the money I blew on bad auction hats I would have at least 3 custom jobs from Art!!
I also suggest watching the Classified section of the Lounge and posting "wanted" threads.
You never know what member is holding onto a hat they have considered selling but not got around to posting it. Your request can prompt a members to sell off some of their unwanted surplus.

moustache

Practically Family
Agree in some ways...

I agree with some of the post.Buying new certainly stimulates the economic growth and stability of members and their businesses.And no doubt many very fine hats are produced by said individuals.I have purchased a few new hats over the last couple of years.
But there are a few caveats.One:vintage hats can,if purchased wisely,be a tremendous bargain.Especially for those of us that cannot fork out $200+ on a nice fedora.The new hats can be very fine,but expensive.
Two:the quality and type of felt on some older hats are superior to the newer models(this has been talked about at length on the Lounge boards).
Third:There are more low grade and pitiful hats on the market than good.Buying online can be a challenge with an unknown brand.:eusa_doh:

Ebay is a special case here.So many of us have purchased items on that site and had mixed feelings.Buying ANYTHING online will be like that.But some items are outright bargains!!

If only prices for new items were not so high.Good quality products are expensive.In this throw away society we live in,many want the cheap product to get them through the job and thats all.

Thats a shame.You get what you pay for.

Thats why i'm happy we have such an intelligent and delightful gathering here.If i want a new hat,i will most certainly come here first!!!!

JD

Selective purchases.

Prairie Shade said:
I would say buy vintage very selectively and support modern hatters when possible.
I pretty much buy all my hats selectively and look forward to purchasing more hats in the near future. (Finding a new job does take precedence right now.)

Sincerely,

artboynyc

New in Town
As a big-headed guy (7 1/2 - 7 5/8, depending on my haircut), I have trouble buying vintage anyway, so most of my hats are new. Do you think it would be worthwhile to post some vendors that we've had good experiences with, or has that ground been covered elsewhere on the forum?

-Tom

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Lucky said:
Hey! You say "stinky" and "decrepit" like it's a bad thing! Some of my best friends are stinky AND decrepit. Come on, now!

I live in a glass house, being stinky and decrepit myself. Sometimes you want to open a box and find a... fresher item.

duggap

Banned
New hats

OK, I will admit to buying new. I recently purchased a new Stetson Mallory from the Wormser hat shop here in Tennessee. I also just got in today, my new Stetson Chatham from Bencraft hats. Good folks, got that hat to me in six days. I also ordered my Montecristi from Panama Bob to be blocked by none other than our own Mr. Art F. I haven't started chasing the real vintage hats yet but this area may be ripe for picking.

Duggap

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
What is this?

This thread sounds more like a bunch of long time hat enthusiasts trying to talk the new guy out of bidding on eBay so they themselves won’t have to pay as much or have a better chance of winning the auctions, rather than a thread giving out good advice.

eBay: over-inflating the perceived value of collectibles since 1995

Serial Hero said:
This thread sounds more like a bunch of long time hat enthusiasts trying to talk the new guy out of bidding on eBay so they themselves won’t have to pay as much or have a better chance of winning the auctions, rather than a thread giving out good advice.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I think some people were buying it. Don't blow it now. :eusa_doh: :p

Regards,

J

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Serial Hero said:

eBay: over-inflating the perceived value of collectibles since 1995

I have to agree. I know a few up and coming 20 and 30 something that are just beginning to get into hats. Granted most of them are in the high-tech industry. We are going from working in the garage to working in the office. Most have us have been upgrading our appearance during this transition

My friends wouldn’t mind dropping a few bills on a nice hat, however, none of them will turn down a good deal either. So they are hitting eBay first. You can expect some more competition over the next year or two as the hats popularly surges in the tech community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80