Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

August Is Twelve Weeks Long

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

My elderly parents tell me to never hasten the future---to do so is to wish that one's life would pass more quickly. But, nonetheless, I'm ready for some autumn jacket weather! I'm sorry Mom, but yes...I want October to hurry up and get here. If I'm dead by then, it'll be OK. I'm sure that Hell is cooler than Eastern North Carolina.

The temperature here in Perdition.....I mean New Bern, has topped three digits almost half the days since the end of July. Factor in the normal 75% to 100% humitity and you've got one sticky, damp, miserable, sweat soup. Take a shower. Stink an hour later. Take another shower and, by the time you tie your shoes, you stink again. I'll swear, I've forgotten what dry underwear feels like.

It has been so hot this August that I haven't even wanted to look at a jacket. In fact, right now, I'll bet the mere smell of goatskin would produce the same reaction in me as would a big dose of antabuse. I can't imagine standing in front of my closet thinking that it might be too chilly outside for a G-1 and opting for a B-15C, instead. Heck, I have difficulty even recalling that just a few months ago, I was Jeeping into work with my L-2B zipped to the collar. But I see my jackets hanging in the closet, and I understand that I must have worn them at some time in my life. Didn't I?

I know fall is just around the corner. In a few weeks, some tropical storm or hurricane will blow through here and then, just like someone flipped off the heat switch, summer will be over. But, right now, I feel like I'm in my tenth week of August.

Atticus

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Summer is definitely rough for me at times as well; though I do have to remind myself that New Mexico has dry heat. I was born in Mississippi, and going back to visit Grandparents during my childhood, and other family in Texas has taught me that humidity is evil.

Hang in there Atticus. Summer shall be over soon enough for us both, and jacket weather will be here again!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks,

My elderly parents tell me to never hasten the future---because to do so is to wish that one's life would pass more quickly---but, nonetheless, I'm ready for some autumn jacket weather! Sorry Mom, but yes...I want October to hurry up and get here. If I'm dead by then, it'll be OK. I'm sure Hell is cooler than Eastern North Carolina.

The temperature here in Perdition.....I mean New Bern, has topped three digits almost half the days since the end of July. Factor in the normal 75% to 100% humitity and you've got one sticky, damp, miserable, sweat soup. Take a shower. Stink an hour later. Take another shower and, by the time you tie your shoes, stink again. I'll swear, I've forgotten what dry underwear feels like.

It has been so hot this August that I haven't even wanted to look at a jacket. In fact, right now, I'll bet the mere smell of goatskin would produce the same reaction in me as would a big dose of antabuse. I can't imagine standing in front of my closet thinking that it might be too chilly outside for a G-1 and opting for a B-15C, instead. Heck, I have difficulty even recalling a few months ago, Jeeping to work on cool spring mornings, with my L-2B zipped to the collar. But I see my jackets hanging in the closet, and I understand that I must have worn them at some time in my life. Didn't I?

I know fall is just around the corner. In a few weeks, some tropical storm or hurricane will blow through here and then, just like someone flipped off a switch, summer will be over. But, right now, I feel like I'm in my tenth week of August.

Atticus

Geoff, I'm sure I have just read this elsewhere! It's rather different in the UK at present-22c and yes I still wear my A2s. I'm also looking forward to the autumn/winter when I can wear my Irvins and B3s.:)

Technonut

Practically Family
Since moving from Virginia to Oregon, I was surprised to find the weather cool enough to wear my A-2 and Indy jacket a couple of times so far this month.. :D From what I gather, there will be quite a few days of rain coming, but I think there will be plenty of great jacket wearing weather here nonetheless... ;)

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Signs of Autumn are all around here in the Midwest although it is still warm. Hoping to wear my horsehide A-2 in Ohio at the end of September for the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends. Can't wait.

Ray

LEUII

One of the Regulars
Our leaves are turning as well down here on the Gulf Coast. . . but it is from drought. It is finally starting to rain. It will be a long time until jacket weather.

RetroRich

New in Town
It was so mild over here last autumn/winter,my horeshide Highwayman stayed in the wardrobe..together with the horsehide Longshoreman & steerhide Barnstormer..most of the time i was wearing Lee & Wrangler denim jackets!..so here's to a long cold outlook!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Haha! It was between 8 and 11 degrees C today with a stiff breeze, so I got to wear my new (and very toasty) new Eastman Irvin!

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Atticus, to quote you:
"The temperature here in Perdition.....I mean New Bern, has topped three digits almost half the days since the end of July. ..."

Used to live in New Bern. It was a lovely town, a collection of church spires reflected in the confluence of two rivers. Hot it was, but not as heated as this inferno called Atlanta.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's supposed to hit 107¬? here to day and be over 100¬? until next Tuesday. Time to hit the coast and soak in the Pacific to cool off. Autum cannot get here in my neck of the woods soon enough for my liking.

Cheers!

Dan

Josephine

One Too Many
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks... The temperature here in Perdition.....I mean New Bern...

:eek:fftopic: New Bern? I'm going to a wedding there the beginning of October. I sure hope it's cool there then! If I see a guy in a hat I'll sultrily whisper "Fedora Lounge" and hope to heck it's you. ;)

Thin Man

New in Town
It's just shy of 100F and 55% RH here in San Jose, CA. I realize that's cool to the folks in the Southeast. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to Fall. I'm looking forward to wearing my suits with vests.

Steve

Josephine

One Too Many
Atticus Finch said:
You can't miss me. I'm the only guy in New Bern who wears a 1961 L-2b (flight jacket) and a Stetson Open Road.

My uncle (former Air Force) and my brother (pilot) might spot you first then! :)

And to keep on topic, I agree summer is too long (Do Not Want!) and I wish fall would get here.

Edward

Bartender
We've been very lucky here in London this year - aside from a couple of disgustingly hot days, it's mostly been quite cool, we've even had a lot of rain over the summer weeks. I'm very pleased with this - we Celts are not designed for extremes of temperature, so most Summers I spend a lot of time lying on the floor whimpering in the heat. :p

Kishtu

Practically Family
Rain?
Down in South West England we've forgotten what rain is... and doesn't my garden just know it!

Gets wonderfully cool about 7pm though when the sun drops behind the houses. Leaves are falling from the apple tree wholesale. Autumn is definitely on its way :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot