Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My Heeler has a distraction, her sister.
Without that, she'd be into everything too.
Instead, she monitors everything the entire pack does.
They learn patterns, and when someone goes outside the norm, the barking starts.
Her sister for looking out the window or trying to get in the trash, my wife for not coming along (with the pack) fast enough, and even her own daddy for getting on my wife's computer to see what she's doing. :D

It's certainly not autumn outside, I've got clover coming in...dern it!

My Heeler has a distraction, her sister.
Without that, she'd be into everything too.
Instead, she monitors everything the entire pack does.
They learn patterns, and when someone goes outside the norm, the barking starts.
Her sister for looking out the window or trying to get in the trash, my wife for not coming along (with the pack) fast enough, and even her own daddy for getting on my wife's computer to see what she's doing. :D

It's certainly not autumn outside, I've got clover coming in...dern it!

They do all that. :p

You need Roundup. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
They do all that. :p

You need Roundup. :p
I've got Roundup, a big spray jug of it.
Actually, I grew up across the street from a man that formulated Roundup.
I know what Wikipedia says (they credit a different chemist), but this guy gets royalties from every sale.
For years he worked for ConAgra (Healthy Choice) helping their farmers out with all sorts of herbicide issues.
The perks of being his neighbor?
He'd mix up all sorts of sprays for us, and we had one of the best looking yards because of him.
Of course his yard looked the best, but should we have been alarmed that HE was wearing a mask spraying it? :D
He's the reason we found out about a product called Poast.
It killed everything in the flowerbed BUT the flowers.
Saved all sorts of time pulling weeds. :eusa_clap

I have a friend we call "Roundup". I gave him that name while we were fishing. Every cast, he was tangled up in bulrush, lilypads, overhead trees...something. After watching him spend most of the morning untangling his line, I finally said "I'm gonna start calling you 'Roundup'." He asked why. "Cause you're killin' them weeds". I still call him that today.

I've got Roundup, a big spray jug of it.
Actually, I grew up across the street from a man that formulated Roundup.
I know what Wikipedia says (they credit a different chemist), but this guy gets royalties from every sale.
For years he worked for ConAgra (Healthy Choice) helping their farmers out with all sorts of herbicide issues.
The perks of being his neighbor?
He'd mix up all sorts of sprays for us, and we had one of the best looking yards because of him.
Of course his yard looked the best, but should we have been alarmed that HE was wearing a mask spraying it? :D
He's the reason we found out about a product called Poast.
It killed everything in the flowerbed BUT the flowers.
Saved all sorts of time pulling weeds. :eusa_clap

I need to have that guy in my neighborhood. It would look completely different with all the neighbor's junk landscaping gone.:p

I'll have to look into Poast. Oh an its called Grass Getter now.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I have a friend we call "Roundup". I gave him that name while we were fishing. Every cast, he was tangled up in bulrush, lilypads, overhead trees...something. After watching him spend most of the morning untangling his line, I finally said "I'm gonna start calling you 'Roundup'." He asked why. "Cause you're killin' them weeds". I still call him that today.

:D

James, this guy was great to have around.
Whatever problem we had in the yard (weed or grass related), this guy could mix up for us.
It all started when he came over and watched my dad pulling weeds in the flowerbeds. In fact, he brought his own lawn chair and just sat down. After awhile, my dad turned around and asked him what he was doing. All the guy said was "do you like crawling around in the flower beds pulling grass and weeds?" My dad said "no." The guy got up, said he'd be right back, and in 20 minutes he brought over a jar of something that he swore would get rid of the grass and weeds, but it wouldn't ruin the other plants. Reluctantly my dad sprayed the flower beds, thinking he (and I) would have to run to the nursery the next day and restock the beds. A week later, all the grass and weeds were gone, and all that was left was azaleas, china berry bushes, and hostas.
Even though he had the best looking vegetables come out of his backyard garden, we'd accept them, but never eat them. :D

James, this guy was great to have around.
Whatever problem we had in the yard (weed or grass related), this guy could mix up for us.
It all started when he came over and watched my dad pulling weeds in the flowerbeds. In fact, he brought his own lawn chair and just sat down. After awhile, my dad turned around and asked him what he was doing. All the guy said was "do you like crawling around in the flower beds pulling grass and weeds?" My dad said "no." The guy got up, said he'd be right back, and in 20 minutes he brought over a jar of something that he swore would get rid of the grass and weeds, but it wouldn't ruin the other plants. Reluctantly my dad sprayed the flower beds, thinking he (and I) would have to run to the nursery the next day and restock the beds. A week later, all the grass and weeds were gone, and all that was left was azaleas, china berry bushes, and hostas.
Even though he had the best looking vegetables come out of his backyard garden, we'd accept them, but never eat them. :D

Did the vegetables glow at night or what? lol lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My cousin lives in Queensland. He's invited me to visit, I would love to see Australia but your spiders scare me. As well as the crocs, scorpions, snakes, and everything else that tries to kill you.
But mostly your spiders.

Danger, danger, danger!

It was very windy today, about 46° but the wind brought it down about 10°.

Fear not Tink, I hate spiders and they ain't got me yet! Queensland is tropical and beautiful. If your cousin lives on the Gold Coast
you must visit! Great beaches and lots of tourists attractions/theme parks/gorgeous weather.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of Autumn, I still have last fall's leaves on the ground.
I raked them all up, but apparently they invited friends over this winter.
If I can get my old mower started, I will give it one last run, mulching those leaves up.
Then the mower has to ride off into the sunset, towards the curb.
She's 14 now, the deck is almost rusted halfway around, and the engine is losing the ability to run at a steady speed (keeps getting faster).
Time to buy a new one. :cry:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
If I can get my old mower started, I will give it one last run, mulching those leaves up.
She's 14 now, the deck is almost rusted halfway around, and the engine is losing the ability to run at a steady speed (keeps getting faster).

Gosh! Fourteen years?
At the little house I'm still using a "White's Improved Ball Bearing" mower which dates back to the 'teens. Of course the lawn is tiny there. At the big house I use a 1950's vintage Sunbeam electric rotary mower, but then the lot is a full half-acre.

Last edited:

Geez! What do you use I for? Blowing snow? lol lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Fear not Tink, I hate spiders and they ain't got me yet! Queensland is tropical and beautiful. If your cousin lives on the Gold Coast
you must visit! Great beaches and lots of tourists attractions/theme parks/gorgeous weather.

Well said Wes! Australia (or Strayla as the locals say it ;) ) is full of spiders. Being a Kiwi I'm not big on the things and in truth I'm slightly arachnophobic but they haven't led to my downfall yet. Although cleaning out the garage today I killed a Redback. We get the odd huntsman spider which seriously gives me the s**ts but nothing that half a can of fly spray won't sort out!

Heteropoda_ZZ279_F2649.jpg

And in terms of "autumnal thoughts"? Thank God it's finally starting to be autumn here, we had a viciously hot summer here in south eastern Australia - bloody awful. Bring on the cold weather I say!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran