Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have no idea where the warming is. It certainly ain't here or in Europe. They have been having 100 year record cold winters lately. :doh:

I have no idea how it's suppsoed to work, and neither, I suspect, do scientists, but I read a few years ago that a 'general' rise in global temperatures would eventually have the opposite effect in higher latitudes, as warmer weather melts ice which leads to a lsowing down of deep ocean currents. The currents move warm water, and air, to the higher latitudes, but without them, Europe, North America and Russia would get colder.

So they say, anyway. As for me, all I know is the summers are nastier than ever here and the winters nastier than they used to be where you are. I wouldn't mind seeing a woolly mammoth, but I might skip on the woolly rhinoceros with the three and a half foot long horn!

I have no idea how it's suppsoed to work, and neither, I suspect, do scientists, but I read a few years ago that a 'general' rise in global temperatures would eventually have the opposite effect in higher latitudes, as warmer weather melts ice which leads to a lsowing down of deep ocean currents. The currents move warm water, and air, to the higher latitudes, but without them, Europe, North America and Russia would get colder.

So they say, anyway. As for me, all I know is the summers are nastier than ever here and the winters nastier than they used to be where you are. I wouldn't mind seeing a woolly mammoth, but I might skip on the woolly rhinoceros with the three and a half foot long horn!

I say we need a few dozen more desalinization plants so we can solve two problems at once then. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Mid 60s today. We really are living up to the old saying, "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes!"

Benny Holiday

Ah, so it's your government's poor planning that bugs you, not desalination itself.

Very much so HH. If it was just one isolated example, well, that happens, but they've got a bad track record for poor planning. Anyway, lest I get political, I'll say that it's 85 out there again today, and I'm still waiting for Autumn! :eusa_doh:

Very much so HH. If it was just one isolated example, well, that happens, but they've got a bad track record for poor planning.

You're not the only with that gripe.

Anyway, lest I get political, I'll say that it's 85 out there again today, and I'm still waiting for Autumn! :eusa_doh:

I've never been to Sydney (only place down under I've been is Perth), what's autumn typically like...weather wise?

Benny Holiday

Well it used to be a lovely respite from the searing summer heat. Over about 10 weeks from mid March, the temperatures would ease off until it started to get cold in mid-late May. Over that time the day time temperatures would ease down from about 85 degrees at the start of March down to roughly 60 - mild weather. The humidity would end with the coming of March too.

That hasn't happened here for the last 4 or 5 years. Summer has dragged on with high temperatures and stifling humidity all the way through to the end of April, then the mild weather has set in for a fortnight before the temperatures plummet! It's all very odd and different than what i grew up with.

I've never been to Perth but I've heard great things about it. Did you enjoy it?

vintageTink

One Too Many
My cousin lives in Queensland. He's invited me to visit, I would love to see Australia but your spiders scare me. As well as the crocs, scorpions, snakes, and everything else that tries to kill you.
But mostly your spiders.

Danger, danger, danger!

It was very windy today, about 46° but the wind brought it down about 10°.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I thought the Dingo ate the spider.
Well now I'm confused.
Wait, the Dingo eat Sheep.
Mine ate anything she could get ahold of.
Until I locked the cabinets (when she was a pup), it was cereal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran