Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

You know how Swiss clocks and watches have a worldwide reputation for perfect time keeping? Well their railway network works the same way. Perfect time, to the second. Look up, Swiss Alps snow plough train.

I missed this when you first posted it - sorry. Fantastic, in particular, I love that crazy awesome spinning plow. And in one of the videos I watched, a RR worker talked about how "keeping the schedule" is like a religion.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
What is this autumn you speak of? I need one of those candles to fool myself into thinking it will actually happen sooner rather than later.

It seems to be taking forever this year. My car broke down and so I'm driving one without A/C and it's killing me. I know, First World Problems and all that, but my body cannot take the heat anymore. I don't know if it's because of my rheumatoid arthritis or me getting older, but summer has become a menace.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
It seems to be taking forever this year. My car broke down and so I'm driving one without A/C and it's killing me. I know, First World Problems and all that, but my body cannot take the heat anymore. I don't know if it's because of my rheumatoid arthritis or me getting older, but summer has become a menace.

Ugh. Sorry for that. :( Be happy you don't live in this heat. At least we here are having a brief respite with some oddball rain off and on. Like I've said, I'm still waiting for the other (really HOT) shoe to drop, and it will.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The last two days have only been in the low 80s, and it is finally cooling off early in the night, instead of 5:00 AM. This morning felt so nice, I did not want to get out of bed! Sorry to gloat so much.

Silverstreak

New in Town
I absolutely loathe summer. Here in NJ we get both extremes, bad blizzards and terrible sumers. I'm pale Irish and burn very easily, the humidity gets to me, and I can't get anything done outside simply because I can't take it.

Fall is and always has been my favorite season. I don't like spring because it means summer is right around the corner. I was born in the fall, I get to wear jackets and real hats, and Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I absolutely loathe summer. Here in NJ we get both extremes, bad blizzards and terrible sumers. I'm pale Irish and burn very easily, the humidity gets to me, and I can't get anything done outside simply because I can't take it.

Fall is and always has been my favorite season. I don't like spring because it means summer is right around the corner. I was born in the fall, I get to wear jackets and real hats, and Halloween is my favorite holiday.

EXACTLY! Though, I can't say I loathe summer. Winter, THAT I loathe. Being pasty-white-Irish makes me strongly dislike being out in direct sunlight at any time, but especially in the summer. Burn like a lobster. But, I prefer the warmth.

Wish I could say it is Fall-like here. Fall-ish? Well, maybe while it was raining yesterday. Can't get here quick enough...

Bushman

I'll Lock Up

I feel differently than you over early Spring, but other than that I feel very much the same way (I enjoy early Spring). I adore Autumn, easily my favorite season. I enjoy wearing flannels, good old felt hats, boots, jeans and crunching through the leaves of the local forest preserve marvelling at the leaves' colors. I don't dislike my straw, but there's something about donning Fall clothes and enjoying a campfire that I truly enjoy. I'm not Irish, nor do I live in New England, but I do burn easily, and Chicago also burns in the Summer and freezes in the Winter (December I don't mind, but after the New Year, Winter is just a cold, gray bucket of yuck if you ask me). Fall, though... you get the occasional strong storm as the seasons change. You get to start dressing a little more cozily, and best of all: HALLOWEEN!!! I cannot think of a better holiday. The roots of it rooted in the waning year, in the harvest, and in paganism. The horror movies invade my television set, and I welcome them, I get to hand out candy to children after I scare the daylights out of them in a scary costume. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday, and I don't mind enjoying it every day of the year with my mask collection:
ufmqdhU.jpg

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Found these at a garage sale today. The Season of the Which approaches...
pVNblT9.jpg

CAWAvnm.jpg

Qt2aywV.jpg

s0TiYcH.jpg

uimUlFX.jpg
I also saw a bunch of leaves starting to turn already on some of the more wooded streets in town, despite the temperature still being in the 90s on some days.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to take a photo, but, Pikes Peak had snow on it the last week of August! It is mostly gone now, but it tells you what time of year it is.

Bixie Bliss

New in Town
As much as I love summer, Autumn always makes me feel happier. The cooler air means I get to wear my home knits and cosy clothes, I can start to plan Christmas and my birthday approaches! In the UK it's much cooler but my skin doesn't cope well with any heat. Last year towards the end of September, there was a lovely sunny Sunday spent with friends in their garden. I was like the mad hatter crossed with Goldilocks swapping seats to try to stay under the parasol. When my friend asked what on earth I was doing I said I could feel my skin prickling in the heat. She shrieked as she could see me going pink. Sunburnt in nearly October.... in England..... in an hour or two. I might as well just live underground and be done with it!

As much as I love summer, Autumn always makes me feel happier. The cooler air means I get to wear my home knits and cosy clothes, I can start to plan Christmas and my birthday approaches! In the UK it's much cooler but my skin doesn't cope well with any heat. Last year towards the end of September, there was a lovely sunny Sunday spent with friends in their garden. I was like the mad hatter crossed with Goldilocks swapping seats to try to stay under the parasol. When my friend asked what on earth I was doing I said I could feel my skin prickling in the heat. She shrieked as she could see me going pink. Sunburnt in nearly October.... in England..... in an hour or two. I might as well just live underground and be done with it!

I, too, have two colors - ghostly white pallor or lobster red (which I haven't had in over thirty years as I use sunblock 100% of the time I'm outdoors and, even still, try to avoid direct sunlight). I have never "tanned" a day in my life.

The other thing that caught my attention in your post is that you, like so many (myself included), mention, not only enjoying the cooler air, but that you can put on "fall" clothing. It's odd, but for some reason, many of us very much look forward to putting on our fall clothing again. I know I'll get a lift the first time I throw on a shetland sweater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo