Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avirex Jackets (Vintage)

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Curious to hear other opinions on Avirex. I always overlooked them but recently grabbed an old G1 (USA made) goatskin from ebay it's actually really solid. The goat is fairly thick, thicker than the Gibson Barnes / vintage mil jackets, but not too thick like Aero. I never liked my G1 from them since it was just too thick of a hide for goat, didnt drape the same.

USA made Avirex is top notch. High quality jackets. What they (used to) suffer from is early 90's design and general vibe, especially with the introduction of the so called Top-Gun styles which, well, didn't age well but otherwise, a good Avirex jacket is on the level of any other maker of the era or before.

Outsourced jackets ranged from good to meh but the quality was always there.

One particular Avirex A-2 stands out as the jacket with possibly the most beautiful, most perfect horsehide that I've ever held in my hands. I've no idea what it was, just that it was a stunning jacket and I don't even like A-2's.

It's interesting how big of a fanbase Avirex still has in Europe, where you'll sooner sell any of their flight jackets for a substantial amount of money than Lost Worlds or Eastman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21