Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-10 Jacket by PIKE BROTHERS

Tally Ho!

New in Town
Hi all.

Next week I should be getting a (mid priced) B-10 repro made by PIKE BROTHERS from Germany. I haven't heard too much about this company but the pictures are promising, especially considering the price whis is about 1/3rd cheaper than ELC.

I did exchange some emails with the producer/vendor of that coat and it seems that creating a decend reproduction was an issue for them. He already told me that the cuffs are not solely made of cotton - a fact I didn't like at first but thinking about it again it makes sense for a jacket you want to wear every day.

As I said the coat looks quite good. If anybody is intersted I can give you a closer descreption and some pics as soon as I get it.

Tally Ho!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I have a Pike and it's not bad for the price. Good knocking-around garment, but of course the cut is much modified. I don't think you have a choice in this price range - you probably have to use today's standard size patterns and modify only the details. The biggest goof is the sleeve diameter - 16" at the cuff on a size 46, bigger around than some trouser legs. [huh]

The big let-down for me was the thinness of the liner. A WW2 B-10 had a natural pile liner nearly 1/2" thick. The Pike liner is about 1/8". This changes the jacket's function from a warm outer layer to just another outer layer. It's not even as warm as my A-2s. :(
3098685304_222eba8381.jpg

I would prefer they had compromised on the fibers used in the liner, rather than the thickness, but maybe that wasn't possible. Acrylic pile is warm, but all I have seen has a very shiny man-made look.

Tally Ho!

New in Town
So let's tell them what we want!

Hey fletch,

thanks for the reply. I am very glad about the Lounge as it is possibly big enough to tell the producers what people like us really want.

In my case, I told the guy that I would buy a jacket of him to write about it in the Lounge. And if it does not proof satisfactory I will simply send it back and spend another bunch of bucks to buy one of ol' Buzz or ELC. And I know I will be happy as long as I wear it.

If somebody tackles the project of producing a wartime item he should be smart enough to think about what his customer really dies for - even if he has to spend a few more bucks. Just think of the Goodwear Leather Coat Companyand you know what I'm talking about. These guys really have their shit together.

Tally Ho!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yep - you have the right idea, I think. I could have returned mine, but I waited too long. The first week I wore it, it was cold but calm, and I thought the jacket was nicely warm. Then I went out in a stiff wind and was unpleasantly surprised.

Here's a few more shots of my sz46 Pike.
3238822905_1898b74915.jpg

Note zipper is Euro-style, with pull on left side.
3238823097_cc8b72a0a5.jpg

3239661240_0d0835cd19_o.jpg

3239661452_8a5060c64c.jpg

Tally Ho!

New in Town
As I said: it sure doesn't look too bad. Although you are right, the lining sucks.

Here's the plan: I do have a pair of original A-9 trousers (medium size; any offers?) to get a good idea about the materials the PIKE-boys used. And if I decide to keep the coat, I will soup it up a bit by by putting a patch on it (I preproduce hand-painted leather patches), and exchange the original buttons and a leather zip pull from the trousers.

I didn't bother about an original zipper (PIKE offers an original TALON which is 50 bucks extra) as the coat just does not come close enogh to justify that extra spending.

Anyhow, let's pick up the idea again of bringing dealers and junkies (of flight jackets) together.
Couldn't we start a loose organisation or board or whatever that can be consulted by producers of vintage style gear? I know it does sound pretty far out but on the other hand I am convinced that my pal from PIKE'S at leat knows the Lounge.

What do you think?

Tally Ho!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland