Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-2 History?

Anders

One of the Regulars
I really like almost everything about this jacket, but I couldn't find any other information about it.

The Lost Worlds site tells me it was in production for the Army Air Corps in the early '30s. Is this an actual historical jacket, and does anyone else make a reproduction/similar item?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The B-2 was a replacement for the B-1, which was basically the same design, but unusually, it was sheepskin-lined horsehide. The B-2 replaced the sheepskin with a heavy wool or alpaca fabric called moquette. Used mostly in upholstery and carpeting, it was less bulky than sheep and almost as warm.

Each jacket had a separate trouser, A-1 and A-2, of similar construction.

The B-1/B-2 family may have been designed by Les Irvin, or else may have inspired his design for the similarly cut RAF Irvin apparel (accounts differ).

5211431051_380a76fc0d_b.jpg

Test pilots in B-2/A-2 suits, 1932.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The B-2 jacket and the A-2 trousers were issued in the 1932 fiscal year , with the first contract being awarded to Werber Leather Coat Co. A second contract was issued in 1933 to Switlik Parachute & Equipment Co.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Both very nice jackets.

A question about the Lost Worlds version: the site says that they use 26 oz. alpaca. Is that heavy for an alpaca lining? Does anyone know what Aero uses?

The alpaca lining in my Lost Worlds B-2 is pretty hefty (for a lining). It could probably be used for a medium-weight overcoat on its own.

Noel

Anders

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info guys! And that's a great picture, Fletch. Something about this design makes it so much more appealing to me than the B-3s and Irvins I've seen. This jacket is on my list, but I suspect it will be some time before I can afford a repro at lost worlds/buzz rickson prices...

Philalethes

A-List Customer
This jacket is on my list, but I suspect it will be some time before I can afford a repro at lost worlds/buzz rickson prices...

I just noticed that Lost Worlds is selling a black size 40 B-2 at a slightly cheaper price ($850) on their limited editions page.

BTW, for those who own the Lost Worlds' version, how warm is it?
And, I can answer my own earlier question: Aero uses a 4-5 oz. alpaca lining (vs. the 25 oz. Lost Worlds lining).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What's this about Aero doing a B-2? I'd heard they had ruled it out (about a year ago).

I own an LW B-2 (bought secondhand), but never wear it due to the absurdly stiff and heavy horse shell. I think it's made specifically for motorcyclists (altho I've been told some LWs use lighter weight horse).

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Fletch is right. Currently AERO don't make a B-2. They don't have the correct pattern. Will once told me that they could make a jacket that's similar in appearance to a B-2 but it would never be totally authentic. Therefore it can't be labeled and advertised as an authetic repro. You would also have to source your own lining material as the alpaca woudn't be thick enough.
I once bought a brown-olive silk/wool moquette blanket which looked like thick Teddy Bear plush. I always wanted that to be made into a B-2 lining. It's incredibly warm and cosy, but also hard wearing and it doesn't grip your clothing. The perfect lining!

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I own an LW B-2 (bought secondhand), but never wear it due to the absurdly stiff and heavy horse shell. I think it's made specifically for motorcyclists (altho I've been told some LWs use lighter weight horse).

Thanks. I am considering buying a Lost Worlds peacoat lined with the heavy alpaca, and I am thinking about going for the lighter weight 3.0 oz horsehide. I have heard repeatedly that LW's heavy horsehide is very heavy.

Thanks also JanSolo: I didn't consider that the alpaca would grip my clothing while putting the jacket on or taking it off. If I may indulge my broken German: Es ist mir viel schwer, zu die perfeckte Lederjacke finden: warm, lange, wasserdicht, stilvoll, und komfortabel - oh, und nicht so teuer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner