Bates Leathers

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by N8dawg16, Sep 16, 2020 at 9:30 PM.

1. N8dawg16

N8dawg16 New in Town

Morning,

I know at least one member here has a jacket from Bates, albeit a vintage example. I ve emailed with them and Dawn s been super helpful. Anyone run one of their jackets? I’m leaning towards a basic jacket (7100) with the added padding in the elbows/forearm and shoulders . Kinda undecided on the pads but it’s a thought. I like the minimalist aesthetic. Kinda like the idea of a black body with white sleeves (kinda like their Eddie Lawson leathers )Anyone have a Bates Leathers jacket ? If so what did you order/buy would you change anything?

Thanks
    N8

2. 01flhr

01flhr One of the Regulars

I had a vintage bates highwayman, but i didnt buy it new. Im really tossed up as to what will be next, bates or z custom. There are so many good options. Dawn was super nice on the phone, ill probably do bates next. One thing that might interest you, they can take your measurements in person while theyre on the road. Check out their racing schedule and if an event is close to you theyll do the measurement part there. Theyre the only ones im aware of that doing so is available through, everywhere else you send in measurements.

roadking04 and El Marro like this.
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I’m lucky to be 1/2 hour away, and I was told I could make an appointment and come in to the shop to be measured :).

navetsea, 01flhr and El Marro like this.
  4. ton312

ton312

I haven’t handled anything from Bates that is younger than the early 80’s. Spectacular jackets. Here are a few that stand out.
    BEF4E9E2-EC7E-4E61-8255-E12109DA22F1.jpeg

Hh121, sweetfights, navetsea and 7 others like this.
  5. roadking04

roadking04 A-List Customer

I'm pretty sure (about 90%), that Vanson also does this. I think I remember seeing it somewhere that they set up a booth/tent at racing events also.

JMax and 01flhr like this.
  6. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Anyone knows what leather they currently use? There's a picture of a freshly made HWM on their Ig and the leather looks different to their vintage ones.. not sure whether I like that/

7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Are Bates still owned by the original owners, or are they a zombie brand, like Brooks Sportswear or Hamilton watches?

8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I believe it’s been passed down, but still the same.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    Monitor likes this.
  9. ton312

ton312

I think Bates will make a jacket out of any leather the customer specifies (though you may to provide the hide). This midnight blue CXL was on eBay for an eternity. I kept trying to convince myself it wasn’t a size 38”...
    3E743081-60C6-42A4-9915-E56D4047A7FD.jpeg 81B15120-8633-4916-88E0-4F102999C296.jpeg