Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batsakes: Gus Miller, Cincinnati, Ohio

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Should say Batsakes above, can't seem to edit that. I went down to pick up a bunch of hats today and to say goodbye to Gus and his workers. All I can say is that this is one remarkable place to visit. I hope the years go quickly while in Ecuador and I can come back to visit Gus and his crew.

Gus3Aug2008.JPG

Gus3.JPG

Gus4.JPG

Gus5.JPG

Gus301.JPG

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks for the pics, Robert. I visited Cincinnati about 3 years ago to run the Flying Pig - and that was about all I did there. I was still just wearing caps at the time and had no appreciation for what I was missing by not visiting Batsakes. If my hamstring ever heals . . . .

barrowjh

One Too Many
I am not real happy about not being there. I'm in charge of a dozen auditors, which make up only about 1/3rd of the total resources, performing tests of key internal controls over financial reporting at TVA in preparation for TVA's compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX). This is just an incredibly busy time for us right now.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
THANKS BOB!

I just snapped up one of two Batsakes' blocked finos you have up an the 'bay for a remarkable price, many thanks. I have been hoping to get a Gus blocked lid and for that coin, why wait? Lots of summer left for us here, I am afraid. Have a safe trip Bob & a happy landing,

Regards,

RB

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Good luck Bob...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
We should start a thread with pics of the various hatters, like those shown here.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten a few calls asking about the Pavarroti sign. The sign in the photo was on top of a large hatcase. There was a large sidewalk sign that proclaimed the same theme. Yes, they were dear friends. Last summer I was in the shop when Gus was going to Italy to visit the Maestro one last time.

Also, while in the store a local businessman asked for Gus' help in getting some Yankees tickets for the next day. Gus had a very well known Major League umpire on the phone in a matter of minutes and the tickets were at the Will Call in New York. Now, I'm an NFL fan, so I'll have to be super nice to Gus!

BobC

I called Mr. Miller today to thank him for this:

IMG_0287.jpg

This is the semi-colado that Robert got for me and that Gus Miller blocked. This hat is nice, nice, nice! Gus and I visited for a while about various things including him saying that he's thinking about retiring and doesn't know what to do with his shop that's been in business for 100 years and isn't quite sure what to do with himself after 57 years of hatmaking.

Gus mentioned his umpire friend who was apparently from Springfield, IL which isn't too far from me.

It's been a good day. I visited with Mr. Miller and I also visited with Major Mike Moore on the phone this evening. It doesn't get much better than that.

Thank you, Robert and thank you, Gus. This hat is a beauty.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
I wonder if great hatters like Mr. Miller (and actually, others as well) have apprentice...No one lives forever, so it'd be a pity if this wonderful skills simply gone along with the master .... [huh]

But certainly it requires people who really love hats and have guts to enter the hat business..

metropd

One Too Many
I am going to ask Mr. Miller if he would give me that job. I would be very happy being a police officer but my dream job would be being a hatter. Being a hatter
is my destiny and I would reach a state of utter fulfillment if I was given that honor.

BobC

metropd said:
I am going to ask Mr. Miller if he would give me that job. I would be very happy being a police officer but my dream job would be being a hatter. Being a hatter
is my destiny and I would reach a state of utter fulfillment if I was given that honor.

I hope you do that and that you are most successful, metropd. There are very few hatters anymore, let alone good ones such as Mr. Miller, Art Fawcett, and Major Mike Moore, whom I've recently been in contact with.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know the days/hours they're open?
I think I'm heading down to Cinci this weekend and, if it's open, this will be a stop.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
He opens about 8:00 and closes in the afternoon (can't remember about Saturday), but if you give him a call it would be easiest. He's there most Saturdays. Check out the Borsalino Panamas and their price tags, too.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
metropd said:

That's interesting you should say that, metropd. I feel that under other circumstances, I could enjoy a trade in hat making, or watch repair. It seems like that life could be less hectic and stressful than that of an investigator.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
metropd said:

I finally got up the courage and spoke to Gus last October about becoming an apprentice. He was very dubious at best about the idea. He went on about how difficult and expensive it is to find the tools and supplies that are needed. He did allow that if I did some work on my own and wanted to bring in my own materials he'd be willing to let me use some of his equipment, but I've not yet taken him up on it.

It may be that the fact I live 2 hours away played a part, or perhaps he wasn't sure I was serious. Maybe it was my age. I don't think it helped matters when my wife asked him how long it would take for me to learn the trade--as he told her, he's still learning himself! I know I never thought of it in terms of how long it would take.

Perhaps he'll be more agreeable to a young man such as yourself!

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass