BATTER UP!

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by 2jakes, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Yes, but also, a lot of soft hits accumulating to a lot of damage.

2. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Dodgers had nice uni's but only when imprinted with Brooklyn.....gotta hate thd Yankees regardless if what they wear.

LizzieMaine likes this.
  3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

That "LA" patch on the sleeve of the Dodgers jersey really stinks the design up -- and not just because they shouldn't have left Bedford Avenue. It's taking what was essentially a perfect design and cluttering it up with unnecessary gingerbread, and for what? Merch purposes? Blah.

The Yankees and I will forever stand on the opposite sides of the divide, but I have the utmost respect for their stand against compromising their uniform design.

Too many teams these days clutter their uniforms up with patches and junk. There's something to be said for clean, plain simplicity. The Nationals have a nice design, but they ought to take it step further and go back to their city's traditional, historical design -- a blank jersey with a small, tasteful block "W" on each sleeve. It worked for Walter Johnson, it could work for Stephen Strasburg.

[​IMG]

You know you're a master of understated style when you're shaking hands with Coolidge, and he's the one who looks flashy.

Fading Fast likes this.
  4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Congratulations to the Nationals.

Interesting and cool that the away team won all seven games - never happened before in a World Series.

5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

An outstanding 7th game. I was rooting for the Nats -- my long-lost Expos, alas -- but I felt bad for Grienke. That's gotta hurt.

6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Agreed, fun WS. I had little rooting interest until the Nats won the first few games and then I just found myself rooting for them.

I will point out that had the Yankees - for some reason I can't fathom - not tried to trade for Grienke when the Astros did, we might have seen a very different WS.

It must be awful to have your worst day at work broadcast live to the world.

7. I was fortunate enough to attend last night’s Game 7. Greinke pitched his butt off (and he doesn’t throw 99 mph so he actually has to pitch). The Astros left way too many runners on base, and then the wheels fell off eight outs away. Baseball can be cruel to the loser. Still, the Nationals were good all season, and they were smoking hot in September and October. The Postseason works that way sometimes.

To add insult to injury, when I finally got out of the park about midnight, it was 40 degrees and pouring down rain. I had to walk about two miles in the freezing rain back to my car. It was a miserable walk. But...Spring Training starts in about 16 weeks...

LizzieMaine and Fading Fast like this.
  8. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Last night's game was a historic last: it was the last major league game to be played by teams wearing uniforms without a manufacturer's patch visible on the front. Next year, every team will have a big stupid Nike swish disfiguring the upper right front of their jerseys. Sponsorship logos a la the NBA are closer than you think.

9. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

It always takes a bit of adjusting to there being no baseball - no scores or standings to check, no boxscores to look over, no games to look forward to, no, well, baseball. I follow football somewhat (and less than I do baseball), but it has nowhere near the day-to-day engagement of baseball.

10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Time to fire up the Hot Stove. if the Sox lose Mookie Betts, my mother will personally go down to Boston and throw this Chaim Bloom guy out a window.