Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1940) - Respecting THE FEW.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm really looking forward to this programme as I really enjoyed First Light, which is one of the best accounts of the BoB. It will be interesting to see how well accurate the aircraft are for 1939-40.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Inaccuracies...

Yes, I was told by one of the reenactors who were involved in the project that *details* were questioned (like Control Towers) when the Director wanted to film things and essentially the reenactors *(who knew their stuff inside out) were over ruled, because "even though it's inaccurate, it makes for a better photograph...etc" Which must be annoying, as it becomes something akin to "How Hollywood sees it..." rather than "how it actually looked and happened."

Anyway, any programme that can turn the spotlight on this period of history has got to be applauded and I dare say it's still "A Ripping Yarn!"

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a little clip of it and it looks amazing. They've used some shots from 1969's BoB so the aircraft codes used are AI instead of 92's QJ. Apart from that it looks brilliant, and I mean, brilliant.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
William Walton's "SPITFIRE PRELUDE"

The gratitude of every home in our Island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the world war by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.
- Sir Winston S. Churchill (Prime Minister).

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t0scac8X6Iw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t0scac8X6Iw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Hurricane...

Spitfire said:
TallyHo1600-2.jpg

Let's never forget The Few.

For me, the Hurricane really does pip the Spitfire to the post! I just love the old wood and canvas, the fact that 'to the eye' it doesn't look all perfect symmetry and streamlined beauty...I do LOVE this little beautiful workhorse that is too often over shadowed by the more glamorous Spitfire.

Marv

A-List Customer
I have to agree with Paddy, the Hurricane is also my favourite aircraft and even though the Spitfire, with all it's grace and speed just doesn't quite beat the good old tough, stable Hurricane.
Plus the fact that (possibly due to more numbers hurris in the sky than spits) scored the majority of kills during BoB.

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://militarytrader.com/article/RAF-Museum-to-restore-Battle-of-Britain-survivor

A rare German wartime bomber has been discovered on the Goodwin Sands, 70 years after it was shot down during the height of the Battle of Britain. With a crew of four and loaded with 2000 lbs. of bombs, the aircraft, a twin-engined Dornier 17 - known universally as "The Flying Pencil" - was part of a large enemy formation intercepted by RAF fighter aircraft at midday on Aug. 26, 1940, as they attempted to attack airfields in Essex.

aircraftimage.jpg

Gotta put a plug in for Military Trader - good magazine, worth picking up if only to check out one issue.

Speedster

Practically Family
Exciting!

Tried to test BBC iPlayer but only got the message: "Not available in your area", so guess you have to have a UK based computer in order to watch and download.

Hope it will eventually find it's way to Danish television or be available on DVD.

PADDY said:
First Light Tuesday 14 September
9:00pm - 10:20pm
BBC2
Docudrama based on the personal memoirs of Geoffrey Wellum, an RAF pilot who fought in the Battle of Britain with the legendary 92 Squadron. His experiences in combat serve as intense rites of passage, but as time goes by it becomes clear that the price of victory can often be an unbearable loss. Starring Sam Heughan.
VIDEO Plus+: 3940066
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described

Cast
Boy - Sam Heughan
Older Boy - Geoffrey Wellum
Brian Kingcombe - Ben Aldridge
Tommy Lund - Alex Robertson
Mac - Gary Lewis
Bevington - Paul Kynman
Davy - Paul Tinto
Trevor `Wimpy' Wade - Jordan Bernarde
Drummond - Alex Waldmann
Grace - Tuppence Middleton
Dad - Richard Walsh

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wear your WINGS with pride TODAY.

I haven't seen any 'WINGS' for sale as is the custom, but I have a pair of sweetheart wings that I'll wear on my lapel today (and my Uncle's 'SHINEY TEN' Squadron lapel badge).

Edward

Bartender
aswatland said:
I'm really looking forward to this programme as I really enjoyed First Light, which is one of the best accounts of the BoB. It will be interesting to see how well accurate the aircraft are for 1939-40.

I must check out the iPlayer and see if it is still on there. I wouldn't be able to tell whether the details of the planes were correct (I can distinguish a Hurricane from a Spitfire, but that's the limit of it), though I'd have a good go with the Irvins. Had to smile recently while watching the old Sixties Battle of Britain film on DVD when I caught myself critiquing the inaccuracies in the Irvins being sported (mostly 42 pattern jackets, with a few late war, multi-panel items thrown in - probably, at that time, a lot of them were originals). lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Edward, don't get me started on the hideous 1960s hairdos on the women in 'Battle of Britain'! And I've only ever seen clips of the film and not the whole thing.

The hair and make up people who did that should have been taken out the back and shot....

I think you might have missed First Light on iPlayer now, as it was broadcast more than a week ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner