Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Be honest. What kind of jacket would you want to choose for going on a trip?

Let us say normal transitional weather, not winter.

-the most versatile?
-the most water-repellent?
-the most sporty?
-the most elegant?
-the most lightweight?
-the most robust?
-the most breathable?
-the most warming?

I'm honest: The most lightweight!
My soft microfibre(polyester)-jacket ist probably half of the weight of my classic polyester-fieldjacket. :)

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depends. In hot weather I probably wouldn't wear a jacket unless I'd be riding. I've tried that and the jacket only stayed on until I found a place to put it without losing it.

For flying I'd probably stick with some form of cotton chore coat or denim jacket with lots of pockets that's light and doesn't restrict movement.

For driving in my car I don't wear a jacket as extra layers tire me faster while driving.

For a long ride somewhere on my scooter I'd wear an armored nylon jacket. Lots of pockets, vents, abrasion resistance + armor make it much more prudent for that kind of use than anything else.

Leather, as much as I like it, is really more for style and light daily wear (short rides, etc...) and not my top choice for utility.

When I want warmth a wool sweater as a mid layer makes more difference than the jacket usually.

When I travel, I take my North Face.
It's waterproof, lightweight, packs up tiny, and works great for 30-55F. Sorry guys...
Nothing wrong with that. But I now take one jacket - depending on season it might be leather, or fabric, and then put a down vest (Patagonia) in the bag as it literally is as big as a pair of socks when compressed.

Doctor Wholittle

New in Town
When I travel, I take my North Face.
It's waterproof, lightweight, packs up tiny, and works great for 30-55F. Sorry guys...
Never apologise for your own personal preferences. If someone disagrees with them, that's his/her problem, not yours. A lot of people would prob'ly disagree with my choices. Hang 'em! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

thekiyote

Familiar Face
Leather jacket, definitely. Thicker ones work still keep me warm down to the 30s zipped up, and unzipped, are fine all the way up to the 70s. For me, they win in all-around flexibility.

Peacoat

Bartender
I think the question was one jacket in transitional weather, which I think would be spring or fall. It would have to be one that is waterproof with some insulation to knock the chill off. For me it would be leather and probably my Sheene or the ELC Luftwaffe. I think the Sheene would be my first pick. I would probably pack a vest for layering in the event of colder weather, say in the low 40s. The vest would be my wool Filson.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Great topic. I'll be heading to Scotland May 31 - June 10 and am trying to figure out a jacket to take. I will certainly take a light Gore Tex windbreaker that can be easily stuffed in a backpack, but I'm trying to decide on a more substantial jacket. I was leaning towards my Brooks Cafe Racer, but the pocket situation sucks on those jackets (what can you really put in a two breast pockets?), so I'm leaning towards a tweed sportcoat that would work well with jeans and be dressy enough for nicer restaurants.

Of course, if I was a true TFL baller, I'd pack no jacket and head right to Aero to pick up something appropriate!

willyto

One Too Many
Great topic. I'll be heading to Scotland May 31 - June 10 and am trying to figure out a jacket to take. I will certainly take a light Gore Tex windbreaker that can be easily stuffed in a backpack, but I'm trying to decide on a more substantial jacket. I was leaning towards my Brooks Cafe Racer, but the pocket situation sucks on those jackets (what can you really put in a two breast pockets?), so I'm leaning towards a tweed sportcoat that would work well with jeans and be dressy enough for nicer restaurants.

Of course, if I was a true TFL baller, I'd pack no jacket and head right to Aero to pick up something appropriate!
That's what I did last August!

I wear the leather jacket that has the most pockets but not handwarmer pockets(Not useful to put stuff that you can't lose). Why leather? Because it's tough, can resist the beating around airports, trains, undergrounds, buses... if it rains it has to rain a lot to soak in. It can be dressed up and down and looks badass.

This is the one I was wearing last 4 day trip to London:

pyJCkRz.jpg

The funny thing is... I ended up buying not one but two vintage leather jackets in my size! One of them had also 3 pockets to carry things around 2 patch pockets and one zippered chest pocket

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
One that I can layer over. My best jacket for layering over is my board racer. I can throw on a light rain coat over it, or a down vest if it's cold

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto