Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

be wary of sellers

Edward

Bartender
@Edward - maybe you can restrict use of PM until a new member hits a certain number of posts? It might not totally eliminate the scam but it may make it more difficult for opportunistic scammers registering at the forum for a quick score.
Isn't that in effect already? I often see people complaining how they cannot send PM's and I know I can't even send them to newly registered members.

Yes, the software we use on the forum is set up to permit use of the private message facility until someone has made fifteen posts. It at least stops the spammers from abusing it (we generally spot and squash them before they get that far), but unfortunately it's not so easy to weed out the dishonest.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Thank you for the heads up OP. It’s really too bad that there are people who try to take advantage of others like this.

mihai

A-List Customer
Long standing members??? Thats disheartening to hear. Never knew anything about it
If I would tell you that a rather regular member with hundreds of posts, tried to scam me?
I was selling an Aero Brando hh jacket. He pretended interest, sent several PMs asking more info. Next thing he asked me "Did you receive funds via paypal, I sent last night.", and to ship him the jacket... Of course there was not even a trace of payment in my PayPal. Confronting him, he "forgot" about the already "made" payment, saying that it was a misunderstanding, that he in fact changed his mind.
So beware of "old" members also.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If I would tell you that a rather regular member with hundreds of posts, tried to scam me?
I was selling an Aero Brando hh jacket. He pretended interest, sent several PMs asking more info. Next thing he asked me "Did you receive funds via paypal, I sent last night.", and to ship him the jacket... Of course there was not even a trace of payment in my PayPal. Confronting him, he "forgot" about the already "made" payment, saying that it was a misunderstanding, that he in fact changed his mind.

You are not helping by keeping his name silent.
People like that need ot be exposed as soon as possible.
Was it Lebowski by any chance?

mihai

A-List Customer
Carlos I agree with you.
It was not Lebowski.
If moderators agree/it's not breaking any policy I can disclose the member.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I recently sold my lost worlds raider on the forum & returned the buyers money as it wasn’t sent f & f ,i felt pretty bad doing that but I’ve heard about buyers claiming the money back through PayPal and the seller is stuffed.Thankfully all went well but it’s a shame that a bit of the trust we had has now been shaken .

Carlos I agree with you.
It was not Lebowski.
If moderators agree/it's not breaking any policy I can disclose the member.

I agree with Carlos; Someone might be making a deal with member in question right this moment so I too believe it can't be bad to disclose anyone who's troublesome when it comes to business.

Rgcards

A-List Customer
I was the one working with Peter mackin. Little bit of leap of faith for me. No t sure why f and f is safer for seller

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I was the one working with Peter mackin. Little bit of leap of faith for me. No t sure why f and f is safer for seller
I sold a thorens turntable a couple of years ago,absolutely immaculate ,the buyer paid by PayPal,then claimed the turntable was faulty and PayPal wouldn’t release the funds.He got his money back and I lost a £1000 turntable as it wasn’t returned.With friend and family the money would have been released before I sent the item.
Your leap of faith worked for us both I’m happy to say.if I sell a jacket and there is any issue whatsoever I’m happy to have it returned.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
I sold ribdoner a jacket and it was a smooth transaction. This was recent, so it is possible he was talking to more than just you about buying a jacket at the time and he could have indeed sent money via PayPal to "someone" and then accidentally sent a message about shipping it out to you. Then told you it was a misunderstanding. I could see this being an accident, and not an intention to "scam"

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
The member I was referring to is Ribdoner.
I sold him a jacket and it was a smooth transaction. Very nice. He very well could have been talking to 2 different members because of multiple interests in jackets for sale. He bought one and then accidentally sent you the message intended for the member he actually paid. Thats a misunderstanding

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, sounds like a misunderstanding with Ribdoner, he must have hit "send" to the wrong person.

It also sucks with Paypal if you're a seller and a scammer buyer claims a faulty item or that instead of a jacket he got a bunch of old rags, like Lebowski.

F&F payment protects the seller, but I can see why a buyer might be nervous sending cash via F&F.

Sucks all around.

Ribdoner

A-List Customer
mihai,

I vaguely recall this situation. I tried finding our PM audit trail, however, the cutoff is in 2017 so it appears this happened prior to then.

I was on the cusp of buying your jacket but changed my mind because I couldn't get a delivered price from you because of possible tariffs, if I recall correct. I've always had an aversion to surprises which is why I changed my mind.

Perhaps you or the MODS have access to our PM'S and can post them because I would like the members to see that your claim about me pressing you to ship a $400 jacket with the intent of scamming you is baseless, in addition it would be out of character for me to not explain why I changed my mind about the purchase to you.

Sincerely, Adam

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto