Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

be wary of sellers

mihai

A-List Customer
mihai,

I vaguely recall this situation. I tried finding our PM audit trail, however, the cutoff is in 2017 so it appears this happened prior to then.

I was on the cusp of buying your jacket but changed my mind because I couldn't get a delivered price from you because of possible tariffs, if I recall correct. I've always had an aversion to surprises which is why I changed my mind.

Perhaps you or the MODS have access to our PM'S and can post them because I would like the members to see that your claim about me pressing you to ship a $400 jacket with the intent of scamming you is baseless, in addition it would be out of character for me to not explain why I changed my mind about the purchase to you.

Sincerely, Adam

Hi Adam,

I don't know you in person and I never interacted with you except that jacket purchase. I did not make any assumption regarding your character.
Speaking about the purchase - besides replying to your questions about the item I was selling - we ended up agreeing on the shipping method, you made me an offer including shipping, I accepted it and you provided me your shipping address. Then next message was asking me "Did you receive funds via paypal, I sent last night." Of course there was no trace of PayPal payment. To me this was not all-right and it raised a red flag. Only after I told you that there is no PayPal payment you started a lengthy explanation that in fact you changed your mind and why. Would have been more fair to tell directly without going through the payment thing.
Nothing personal but following this I won't engage again in buying/selling from/to you. I cannot trust you.

As the others had very good experiences in dealing with you, I strongly encourage them to continue doing so. And to ignore my experience, maybe it was just bad luck for me.

Mihai

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I lost both the GW Arcadia and $500 or so USD selling to Lebowski. Thank goodness I sold it low and didn’t lose a silly amount of money, but still, it was a substantial amount of money gone. And it’s because I chose to be trusting and tried to be gentlemanly and pay him assuming the jacket was lost in transit.

Gone, gone, gone! It hurt but onwards. What should I order now gents? Have been eyeing a Lewis Leathers in sheepskin.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
I lost both the GW Arcadia and $500 or so USD selling to Lebowski. Thank goodness I sold it low and didn’t lose a silly amount of money, but still, it was a substantial amount of money gone. And it’s because I chose to be trusting and tried to be gentlemanly and pay him assuming the jacket was lost in transit.

Gone, gone, gone! It hurt but onwards. What should I order now gents? Have been eyeing a Lewis Leathers in sheepskin.
That really doesn't sit well with me nick, especially because he pestered the crap out of me when I was selling the arcadia, I told him I was holding it for you ( I had already had a bad transaction w/ him on the dd j100) I sold him) I would not sell to him after that an I was upset he swindled it from you, dude is a troll

Yeah, sounds like a misunderstanding with Ribdoner, he must have hit "send" to the wrong person.

It also sucks with Paypal if you're a seller and a scammer buyer claims a faulty item or that instead of a jacket he got a bunch of old rags, like Lebowski.

F&F payment protects the seller, but I can see why a buyer might be nervous sending cash via F&F.

Sucks all around.

The Dude did not abide? I want to hear the old rag story. PM if preferable.

Edit: And he scammed Nick? This guy sounds like a menace.

air

One of the Regulars
Life is such an interesting thing when you tell people the truth, they don't believe, you tell a lie, they believe. Similarly, buy and sell scammers are very often trusted, honest people arouse suspicion.
Scammers take time to build up their reputation. Contribute to the community, engage in some real transactions, develop relationships with some members, etc. It is worth it to them because unlike honest users they intend to profit from their effort.

Bear in mind that if a user bought 6 $200 dollar jackets from the classifieds and sold 3 of them back, all while appearing honest, that would be 9 successful transactions and about $600 spent plus shipping. That user can then use his reputation to buy an expensive $1000 dollar jacket then scam his money back by claiming that the package never arrived or the box was empty. He would still have 90% satisfaction ratio. Scammers will often use their accounts for commercial purposes (resell the jackets) so they rack up good reviews much quicker that normal users.

There are many ways to take advantage of a seller:
  • Asking for the package to be sent through less reliable means (national post in certain countries) then claiming they never received it.
  • Asking for the package to be sent to a person with a different name/address from the buyer. You can't prove you sent the item to the buyer.
  • Saying they will pay with their girlfriend/brother/friend's account. They may have been banned, or want to avoid burning their account.
  • Waiting until the shipping companies period for claims has expired before complaining they didn't get their package, even though it was marked delivered weeks ago.
  • Wanting to discuss the sale off-platform so there is no trail of their actions.
  • Asking to declare a lower customs value to pretend you sent them a different item.
With pay-pal always taking the buyers side sellers have to be very careful, and remember that no matter what you do you can still lose a claim.
  • Establish the terms of sale through pay-pal or whichever payment processor you use, what you are selling, how you are sending it, condition, etc.
  • Don't offer downgrades (cheaper carrier, lower declared value), make the buyer ask you instead, always through the payment processor. Warn him about the possible consequences and make him agree (remember pay-pal may not care about it anyway).
  • Run a search with the buyer's name, he might have a reputation.
  • For expensive items ask if the carrier will package them for you on site and charge you for it, to leave a paper trail that the item is a jacket and not a blanket. Make a video of the packaging process if they will allow it (pay-pal might still not care).
  • Only send packages to the buyer's registered address.
  • Ask for confirmation that everything is okay right after delivery is confirmed, also through the payment processor.
  • Require pay-pal friends and family when sending to another country or when sending without tracking.
  • Don't let the other party guilt or shame you into anything.
  • Don't trust their "experience" of "I've always done it this way and never had problems before", "I have received many packages like this", "don't worry"etc.
  • Don't be greedy.

When all else fails, keep in mind online terms of service are subject to the law. It will most likely not go anywhere but you can file a police report against the other party (even if you payed with pay-pal friends and family) or a complaint against the payment processor with the consumers advocate or regulator. The outcome will vary a lot depending on the law in your country, but some countries have strong protections.

NYDRH

One of the Regulars
I just read through that second one, I missed that back in December that is disturbing.
Clearly, the word is out to the unscrupulous that PayPal/eBay favor buyers seemingly 97% of the time.
I've been selling stuff on eBay a long time but have pretty much stopped because of this issue. They really need to figure out a way to make the process more fair as they are outright allowing people to be defrauded.
When Im the buyer, the protection has helped me a couple of times and I don't think I've ever sent f&f because I want the protection. When I sell on forums I always give people the option because that is what I've always insisted on as a buyer but this really makes me think twice. Usually people choose f&f to save the fee and I've been fortunate up to this point not to have a situation like this.
Really sucks

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many

Nick i just thought about something if lebowski went to local post office an told them he was moving an ask could he pick it up from there it would never show it was delivered

JohnS33931

One of the Regulars
I’m pretty new here and have never bought or sold anything on this forum.
I look all the time, but most of you guys just aren't fat enough for me to fit into your jackets.
I have bought and sold many knives on several knife forums. As far as I’m concerned - all you really have is your reputation. I always sold requiring a USPS mail order although I liked to pay with Paypal. But I won’t do f&f. I’d rather pay the fees. Never had a problem on the forums, but had two bad experiences on Ebay - did get my money back both times.
One seller sold me a pair of “brand new” Maui Jim sunglasses - the lenses were covered in micro sized scratches the other sold me a fake Panerai watch bracelet. I really was lucky to get my money back for the bracelet because Paypal told me that they wouldn’t help me with a transaction between the US and UK -but, the seller refunded my money.
Anyway - sorry to see you get screwed and very happy to see the buyer’s name so I’ll know to stay away from him.

Last edited:

air

One of the Regulars
I’m pretty new here and have never bought or sold anything on this forum.
I look all the time, but most of you guys just aren't fat enough for me to fit into your jackets.
I have bought and sold many knives on several knife forums. As far as I’m concerned - all you really have is your reputation. I always sold requiring a USPS mail order although I liked to pay with Paypal. But I won’t do f&f. I’d rather pay the fees. Never had a problem on the forums, but had two bad experiences on Ebay - did get my money back both times.
One seller sold me a pair of “brand new” Maui Jim sunglasses - the lenses were covered in micro sized scratches the other sold me a fake Panerai watch bracelet. I really was lucky to get my money back for the bracelet because Paypal told me that they wouldn’t help me with a transaction between the US and UK -but, the seller refunded my money.
Anyway - sorry to see you get screwed and very happy to see the sellers name so I’ll know to stay away from him.

Just drop by the finds and deals thread and tell us what size you are looking for, there's plenty of good deals in unusual sizes out there like this size 50 golden bear:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...er-jacket-edition.96976/page-437#post-2791981

Bennarion

One Too Many
Nick i just thought about something if lebowski went to local post office an told them he was moving an ask could he pick it up from there it would never show it was delivered
I will repeat once again in my experience of shopping on eBay I received several parcels from the USA and they changed the tracking number at customs, as a result, according to the first tracking number, the parcel will be marked as not delivered. Therefore, if you send a parcel with a more expensive delivery, such as EMS, then the tracking number will not change.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I will repeat once again in my experience of shopping on eBay I received several parcels from the USA and they changed the tracking number at customs, as a result, according to the first tracking number, the parcel will be marked as not delivered. Therefore, if you send a parcel with a more expensive delivery, such as EMS, then the tracking number will not change.

In that case it was likely delivered. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112