Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Bargains

Avalon

A-List Customer
I've already sung the praises of NYC cosmetics, so I'll refrain from repeating myself...just go check them out. I don't think any of their products are above $3.

Moisturizer / Body lotion: CVS (storebrand) baby lotion. Asborbs quickly, leaves no greasy residue and smells lovely. About $2.

Bath powder: CVS (storebrand) cornstarch baby powder - the Lavender & Chamomile scented one. I LOVE lavender, and this is healthier (and cheaper!) than talc-based dusting powders. About $3, often on sale though.

I also use the Coty Airspun and Dream Matte mousse foundation (I apply mine with a brush - I get smoother, more even coverage). I also have to agree
about the Palmer's Cocoa Butter stick; it works great as lip balm and to soothe dry spots.

Pretty much everything I use is either drugstore / dollar store brand or something I make myself. My frizz serum works awesome; I do it by eye, so I have no exact measurements. I just mix together 3 parts glycerin ($3 at the drugstore) and 1 part vitamin E oil ($4) in a big squeeze bottle, add a squirt of my baby lotion to it (to cut the thickness and add a bit of fragrance), and shake before using. Makes my hair glossy, soft, and less prone to looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket. lol

Honey Doll

Practically Family
my bargains

I use neutrogena sesame oil after every shower or bath. Its like baby oil, couple drops on damp skin. The smell is heavenly!

Also I use Citre hair serum-- Its a silicon type hair gloss. About a dime sized squeeze rubbed between the hands and smooth it thru your brushed out set (particularly on the poodle hair days). It gives amazing shine and really refines the look of my curls.

Honey Doll

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
I use a sponge. Its not a liquid at all, its a fluffy mousse texture. So more like a semi solid, then a liquid.

You could also probably use fingers.

I use a sponge as well. (Sponges should be another beauty bargain! :p)
I've used fingers with it but its bit messy when trying to schlop it on your fingers and use it on your face.
I love the coverage it gives as well. It seems to me like it covers better than any liquid foundation I've tried. :eek:

crystalface

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal said:
Ok I've got questions for those of you that use the dream matte mousse. How do you apply it? I've read the reviews on MUA and some recommend a brush - but isn't it a liquid? I'm interested in trying it, if it works for fair skin and isn't too drying.
It's not drying at all. It works on fair skin too--I am semi-fair myself (I have Spanish in me so when I tan I really tan) so I got the third shade in the "Light" shades, which means theres a 1 and 2 :D

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Rimmel eyeliner/eyeshadow: Rimmel cosmetics are very reasonably priced and I find their eyeshadows to be the most pigmented of the drugstore brands. The eyeliner has a nice consistency.

Cetaphil: I used to use this as my cleanser, but I find it works best for me as an eye makeup remover. All other removers leave a residue or make the skin around my eyes sting. Cetaphil is very gentle and does a good job even with stubborn waterproof mascara.

Suave hair products: I've never been able to tell the end difference between a $2 can of Suave mousse and a $20 can of salon brand mousse.

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails: I am cursed with soft, brittle nails, and this stuff really works to let me grow them a little longer.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal said:
200.jpg

Queen Helene Mint Julep mask, $4 at most stores. This is a miracle mask, and generally the only one I use. It is dirt cheap and it works. It isn't uncomfortable, it smells nice, and it really cleans your skin, shrinks pores, and just feels great. Great for acne. It is also a 1930s product. This is, by far, the best mask I have ever used. I also love the Queen Helene mud mask, more gentle but still very cleansing and a nice scent - the packaging is brown and it runs about the same price.

I used to use the mask in high school, and even did a speech on it in my English class! I forgot about it for years until last night, when I got sick of this huge syctic zit right next to my nose. It's so big that my boyfriend actually did a double take when he saw it. I went to Walgreens and was searching the acne aisle when I stumbled upon it again. I bought it for about $3.90. I slept with it on the spot, and when I woke up, it was about half it's original size!

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Polka Dot[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hansen-Treatment-Stronger-Longer/dp/B000142HIS" said:
Sally Hansen Hard as Nails[/URL]: I am cursed with soft, brittle nails, and this stuff really works to let me grow them a little longer.
I have the same problem. I also had to bleach my hair out becuase the "semi-permant" black dye I used wasn't coming out, and I wanted to go back blonde. This resulted in a lot of damage, so I started using the dietary supplement Biotin at the suggestion of my hairdresser to help my hair grow faster. It is meant to support the metabolism of carbs, fats, and protiens for energy use, but also promotes cell generation, which in turn makes you hair and nails come in faster and stronger. I have noticed my hair is coming in faster, and there is actually a "hill" in my nail when viewed from the side where you can see the difference between the old growth and the new, which is coming in about twice as thick. I bought the Nature's Bounty Super Potency Biotin (5,000 mcg) at Walgreens for about $10 (60 capsules, so it will last 2 months.)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Originally Posted by Kim_B
e.l.f.

So far I've only tried the Smoothing Lip Gloss, and while it is very sticky and very well, glossy, it is wonderful feeling on your lips. It smells good too! I have Pixie, and honestly I got it as a free gift with one of my eBay purchases. It isn't really my color, but I'm thinking of buying a few other colors.

All of the cosmetics on this website are around $1, and they do not test on animals, they use natural ingredients, and they support a few charities too.

Target just started carrying this brand. So if you've got a local Target store check it out and save on shipping costs.

Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle cream, $5 at most stores or online. Very nice hydrating cuticle cream for a good price. Pleasant lemony scent and the tin lasts a loooong time. I use this in the mornings after I apply my Nivea hand cream. Apply a dab to each cuticle, massage it in, and let it soak in while I drive to work.

I LOVE, LOVE this stuff! I've had dry, brittle and flaking nails for years and now I have very healthy looking nails and cuticles. Plus it smells absolutely yummy. The packaging is cute too. I'm also trying some of their other products and will get back to you with the results. Just Google Burt's Bees to find their website and it will tell you where their product is sold in your area (or you can order online).

I know this was mentioned on another thread, but good old-fashioned witch hazel makes an excellent skin toner. It seems to be helping my adult acne too. You can usually find it for a dollar or less. Now that's a beauty bargain!

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I second and third any mention of vaseline (great for lips, eye makeup removal, dry feet, hands) and Burts Bees Lemon Butter.

I use VO5 Silky Smooth shampoo and conditioner, both of which I get for $3.50 (Australian) each. Absolutely fantastic stuff for my hair, which has a tendency to get very, very dry otherwise.

Ms. Parriss

New in Town
crystalface said:
Stuff I've owned or own and I looove:

Maybelline Mousse foundation about $7 or $8!!
200.jpg

Feels lovely and amazing--good for oily and combination skin types too! Doesn't go too wonkey by the end of the day.

I love this stuff too!! It even comes in darker shades and its within my price range. so many times if you want to look good and you have any claim to color you end up paying way too much, but not with maybelline. and you have to use so little, its a dream come true. ;)

Snookie

Practically Family
Does anyone have a cheap concealer they totally love? I need something that isn't harsh or drying to my sensitive skin (so no acne chemicals).

I tried the Queen Helene mask on the recommendation of you ladies, and I like it a lot! I'm also kicking myself for not buying Coty Airspun the last time I bought powder -- I don't like the more expensive kind I got instead. Grr!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have a cheap concealer they totally love? I need something that isn't harsh or drying to my sensitive skin (so no acne chemicals).

Have you ever tried Max Factor Panstik? It makes a great concealer—it's cheap and lasts forever, too.

My steals include Pond's Cold Cream (best thing for my sensitive, acne prone skin), Coty Airspun (in Rachel No. 1, an ultra pale shade), L'Oreal Double Extend Mascara (gives great thick lashes and comes in a true brown shade), Rimmel Red Diva Lip Liner (a great red shade that rivals MAC's more expensive lip liner), Maybelline Expert Eyes Brow Pencil (great color match, lasts forever, and a vintage favorite to boot), Cinema Secrets/Ben Nye foundations (a much wider range of colors then most drugstore and high end products, great coverage, and the price is right), and Aussie Instant Freeze Hair Spray (the ultimate, all-weather hold at less than $3 a can.) Milani eye shadows have a color and texture that rival higher end brands (they need to be applied over a primer though) and cost less than $3 as well. Cover Girl Plumberry Glow Cheekers blush is another cheap find, and the color is very vintage-y.

For a body scrub, nothing beats a mix of olive oil, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Smells divine, too!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I have sensitive skin too and I recommend Cover Girl concealer coverstick. I use the medium beige. I dab it on after I put on my foundation. It works great over my occasional adult acne (the only "youthful" thing I've got left!) and it also makes a great base on my eyelids before applying eye shadow. The eyeshadow lasts a long time! After applying the coverstick, powder the face as usual and it makes for a nice finish. I can't tell you the price off hand, but Cover Girl products are inexpensive. I've used a lot of different concealers over the years, but this is the first one that I've stuck with for quite a while.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I use Maybelline concealer in the stick form. It's around $6 or $7 and it has lasted me for a very long time. For ladies with dark skin tones, Posner makes a line of hypoallergenic concealers. They come in creme form in little tubs for $8.99 at CVS.

P

Phaedra

I also like the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask and the mud mask. Another good one for under $10 is the Freeman Avocado and oatmeal mask. It leaves your skin really soft.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
GREAT THREAD NEECERIE!!

jitterbugdoll said:
For a body scrub, nothing beats a mix of olive oil, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Smells divine, too!

Ooh what a great idea! I have always heard of this but didn't know the "formula" Do you just mix equal parts of everything?

Hmmm... everyone's contributions sound great. I might just have to print these pages out and go to the drugstores!! The only things I can throw in are:

BAG BALM~It's great! It's not as greasy as Vaseline and works wonders on dry spots, cuticles, lips... It's kind of tacky in texture.

ROSEBUD SALVE~Smells good, feels good! Mostly use it for lips, but has other benefits similar to any salve or balm.

CLEAN & CLEAR DAILY SCRUB~Gentle for daily use, smells good and leaves skin soft.

SALLY HANSEN HARD AS NAILS~Clear base/top coat. For those who have not tried this- it is a MUST. Your nails are literaly... well, you know!

LOREAL MASCARA~ANy of them- they are fantastic!

VITAMIN E OIL~Amazing for cuticles/nails/hands

Kitty55

New in Town
katiemakeup said:
<snip>
ROSEBUD SALVE~Smells good, feels good! Mostly use it for lips, but has other benefits similar to any salve or balm.
<snip>

Ah, Katie, you beat me to it:
300.jpg

I (heart) this stuff. It is a bit messy, yes, but it just SOAKS into the skin, and the gloss factor - if you're into that sort of thing - is pretty high. I've even used it to take off my eye make up in a pinch...:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy