Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Bargains

anabolina

A-List Customer
I've been using Trublend whipped foundation for a few days now and I love it. It goes on smooth and light and does not settle into lines. I does settle into my pores, but since my pores are the size of craters, this is normal for me. I got the classic ivory and it blends really well with my skin and so its not too noticible that it settles. I also like Outlast lipcolor in peach pearl. It doesn't last all day, but it tries.

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal said:
Of course the Coty Airspun powder.
200.jpg

I was previously using more expensive powders, but this does the same job just as well if not better, for 1/4 of the cost! $7 for a huge container that lasts forever. I use the translucent extra coverage instead of foundation on many days, it lasts all day, doesn't turn orange, and hasn't caused any breakouts. Plus, it is a vintage product! Smells nice and the container even looks pretty sitting on a countertop. What's not to like?

I couldn't agree more. I love it. Looooove it. And, it's definitely vintage...everytime I put it on the smell makes me think of my mother when I was a kid...I think even my grandmother wore this same powder...You won't be dissapointed!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i don't think i've mentioned this before, but for those of you who don't wear a lot of makeup, a couple of "everyday" bargains that i love are the burt's bees lip shimmers, and the powder facial tissue thingies. both are under $5. i rarely wear foundation, and i find that most regular lipsticks look weird with my natural skin, but the lip shimmers are just right! and the papers take away a little of the shine and add a little evenness if i want it :)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
pretty faythe said:
Hey thanks, I'll have to give that a try. Reading it, it sounds like it would work well for my daughters dandruff too. Nothing like getting 2 birds with one stone.

Have you tried tea tree oil or vinegar?

I'm using apple cider vinegar (about $2.00) on my face & my skin has a more even tone. I had a breakout on my chin last week & it left some red marks and they have faded faster than usual. :eek:

Other favs:
Revlon Powder Blush ($2.99 at Big Lots)
Nature's Gate Shampoo & Conditioners
Yves Rocher arnica hand creams (about $3.00)
Tussy deodorant (usually .99 or $1.49)
Sinful Colors nail polish (usually 2 for $3.00)
Wet 'n Wild eye color
Jordana lip glosses (2 for $3.00)
any generic baby oil (a huge bottle for $1.50)
St. Ives Swiss Vanilla body lotion (under $3.00 usually)
Queen Helene Mint Julep mask
St Ives apricot scrubs
Anything from Palmers and Cocoacare (esp the cocoa butter sticks)

;) For me to spend more than $5.00 on anything is a rare occasion.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Here are some of my newest fav 'beauty bargains'

If anyone else has seriously damaged hair, I've been using this reconstructing treatment from Sallys for the past month and my hair is in much better condition and I use much fewer products on it to reduce frizz. I think I paid $7.99 at it was seriously worth it.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/ion-repair-solutions-hair-reconstructor-treatment/ION25,default,pd.html

Another good product I just discovered is the Sonia Kashuk travel palette for $9.99 from Target. I've bought this in preparation for Korea since I mean to travel when I'm there and would really like to not be weighed down with makeup while doing so. The concealer are nice and creamy and seem to wear well, the eyeshadows aren't particularly pigmented, but will do, and the blush is actually pretty flattering on me. The only problem with it is the lipglosses are useless, no pigment whatsoever and barely any shine, I mean there's no point to them. Anyway, I'm going to replace them before I leave with something else.

http://www.target.com/Kashuk-Palett...e=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:brainy blonde&page=1

Ooh, and CG Lash Blast is awesome, I went and used some L'Oreal Hip high volume mascara since it came bogo with the Hip Eyeliner last month(that product actually is wonderful) and ugh, it lasted 2 weeks since it clumps worse then any other mascara I've tried and flaked something awful, but enough of complaints. Lashblash does none of those things (okay, it can clump, but usually doesn't on me) and rarely smudges beneeath my eyes and really enhances my lashes.

Oh and the new Wet n Wild eyeshadow compacts are really flattering and seem to last awhile, are cheap, and have a good variety of coodinated colors in them. I have it in the Sand Cove and think it cost $4.99. I got it for my last vacation and it was perfect, the only eyeshadow I needed that week, and I like eye shadow. http://www.wnwbeauty.com/cosmetics/eyes/eyeshadow/ultimate-expressions-eyeshadow-compact.cfm

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Face: For a wash I use St. Ives Facial Cleanser with Chamomile for $2.97 and I use a teaspoon of baking soda on a face loofah as my facial scrub. Don't know how much that is exactly but I don't know anyone who doesn't have baking soda in their cupboard.
Hair:As a damage treatment I mash up an avacado and mix with lemon juice. and leave it in my hair for about an hour...total depending on season is roughly $2.00. For shine before an event or photo shoot I put two egg whites in my hair after shampooing and work it through my hair before rinsing thoroughly.
Nails: Maybelline's Express Finish in Racy Red. It does need 2 to 3 coats to look right though. About $2.
Lips: Revlon Renewist Lipcolor in Red Reinvented $7.97 and L'Oreal's Infallible Lipcolor in Scarlett. $9.97 in some stores.
I have others but these are the ones that are not limited edition and that are available in almost any store. I Highly recommend the baking soda as a scrub and the Revlon renewist color...They both work wonders!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
anabolina said:
Oh and the new Wet n Wild eyeshadow compacts are really flattering and seem to last awhile, are cheap, and have a good variety of coodinated colors in them. I have it in the Sand Cove and think it cost $4.99. I got it for my last vacation and it was perfect, the only eyeshadow I needed that week, and I like eye shadow. http://www.wnwbeauty.com/cosmetics/eyes/eyeshadow/ultimate-expressions-eyeshadow-compact.cfm

I love the Wet n Wild eyeshadows. If you haven't tried them you really should, they're amazing for the price. I have Sand Cove, mentioned above, which is a great variety of bronzes. Before discovering these I was mostly using Urban Decay (also nice, but pricey). Now I've switched almost completely to WnW for eyeshadow. They're pretty blendable and smooth too :)

anabolina

A-List Customer
retromom147 said:
Face: For a wash I use St. Ives Facial Cleanser with Chamomile for $2.97 and I use a teaspoon of baking soda on a face loofah as my facial scrub. Don't know how much that is exactly but I don't know anyone who doesn't have baking soda in their cupboard.
Hair:As a damage treatment I mash up an avacado and mix with lemon juice. and leave it in my hair for about an hour...total depending on season is roughly $2.00. For shine before an event or photo shoot I put two egg whites in my hair after shampooing and work it through my hair before rinsing thoroughly.
Nails: Maybelline's Express Finish in Racy Red. It does need 2 to 3 coats to look right though. About $2.
Lips: Revlon Renewist Lipcolor in Red Reinvented $7.97 and L'Oreal's Infallible Lipcolor in Scarlett. $9.97 in some stores.
I have others but these are the ones that are not limited edition and that are available in almost any store. I Highly recommend the baking soda as a scrub and the Revlon renewist color...They both work wonders!

I just discovered Loreal Infallible in Scarlett. I love the color, its a lot less impactful as expected and I love the packaging. The only thing I don't like about it is the flavor of the gloss. It's like sickly sweet to me, I replaced it with the cover girl version by breaking both off and exchanging them.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love me some cheap makeup!

Wet n Wild, NYC, La Femme, and Black Orchid - I like high pigment so the stuff for black women works for me - even though I am the palest of pale. Go figure.
My current favorite - Dr. Bronner's Lavender soap! It has replaced all the expensive cleansers I ever tried. I use one of those red rubber sponges with it, and an occasional sea salt and olive oil scrub, and I don't mis the facials I was paying $90 a pop for at all.
A big round of applause for witch hazel - so refreshing!
Also, I adore rosewater and glycerin! Hard to find. So I bought food grade rosewater, and a bottle of straight vegetable glycerin, and made my own.
Also a fan of a certain vitamin E cream, but I think it violates the price guideline...

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Ooh, wonderful!

My favorite bargains:

Crystal Roll-On Deodorant ($3.99 at Walgreen's)
332106.jpg

It works very well for me, and doesn't give you that sticky feeling the regular crystal rock deodorants have. It actually absorbs quicker than big-brand roll-on deodorants, I think. Bonus: the photo on the bottle is hilarious.

The deodorant isn't an anti-perspirant, but I don't have an issue with sweat, usually. However, corn starch is an awesome and cheap dusting powder (perfect alternative to talc!), and will also keep your underarms dry.

Food grade rosewater -- $2-$5 (cheapest at Indian grocery stores, I think)
In a spray bottle, it'll make your powder and foundation look more natural after application. Smells divine, too! Nice air freshener, fabric freshener, etc. etc. etc.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
anabolina said:
I just discovered Loreal Infallible in Scarlett. I love the color, its a lot less impactful as expected and I love the packaging. The only thing I don't like about it is the flavor of the gloss. It's like sickly sweet to me, I replaced it with the cover girl version by breaking both off and exchanging them.
I agree...it does taste nasty but I find the color and the "stay-ability" worth it. Last night I read about the e.l.f. cosmetics and i'm going to try the candy lipgloss tins over Infallible color and see if that looks good and helps with the weird wax taste.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Oh yeah, Miss Neecerie, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for starting this thread....It's fun to look at stuff I can actually afford! Lol.

anabolina

A-List Customer
retromom147 said:
I agree...it does taste nasty but I find the color and the "stay-ability" worth it. Last night I read about the e.l.f. cosmetics and i'm going to try the candy lipgloss tins over Infallible color and see if that looks good and helps with the weird wax taste.

I have the cherry and candy flavors and they are wonderful and the tins are just so cute.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Ok, don't throw rocks at me.

But I tried the COTY Airspun powders and is it me, or does it just sit on your face?

I feel like the powder accentuates every little line in your skin.

Thumbs down for me on this one. dang.

I will stick to my Besame I suppose..........

jayem

A-List Customer
Big, HUGE fan of the Coty Airspun! I use it almost everyday, so light and looks wonderful on skin for the smooth porcelain look.

Palmer's Olive Butter Formula w/ Vitamin E ($4ish) I put it on every night and my skin has never been smoother. It smells wonderful, too.

Teatrical Body Cream w/ Lanolin Rose Fragrance ($3ish) Found it as the Mexican market over here. I used it on my chest and it makes everything so soft. It's a thick cream, so I only use it at night.

Madre Perla De Ultratez Bleach Cream ($2.99) Another Mexican market find. Thank god I stocked up because I think they stopped selling it. Reverses any skin damage I do to myself during the summer very nicely. Doesn't contain mercury or anything toxic.

Freeman Clay Avacado and Oatmeal Mask (I forgot the $, but I know it's under $10) This is another classic along with the Queen Helene line.

Complex 15 Therapeutic Moisturizing Face Mask ($6.99) This stuff is a god send, really. I have blotchy, acne prone skin and was even on Proactiv for awhile. It worked, but not nearly as nicely as this stuff does. My face can get so dry in the winter, it cracks... but this stuff really saved me. It contains no parabens, lanolin, or mineral oil. Completely hypoallergenic.

Beauty Secret's Ridge Filler ($2.99) I have really bumpy, cracked finger nails, and this works wonders. It's enriched with silk extracts, also.

Nail Bright Peroxide Whitening Gel ($4.99) Whitens my nails so when I leave the moon bare, they don't look yellowed and gross.

Out The Door Super Fast Drying Top Coat ($4) With this stuff, my nails are completely dry within 2 minutes.

Milani Nail Laquer in Radiant Ruby and Sally Hensen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in Cherry Red ($2.99 - $4.49) Both are lovely shades, and perfect on my skin tone. They don't chip, either. Sometimes I do two bottom coats of the Radiant Ruby and one top coat of the Cherry Red. Creates the perfect red shade, IMO.

Heel To Toe Heels Like New Foot Softener ($1.99) A little tub lasts you forever, plus it works miracles. I put it on at night and sleep with socks on, and when I wake up my feet are softer than ever.

All done!! Enough products for you? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters