Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Bargains

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Okay, here it goes! [All of these things are under $7 US... I am a student so I am used to being on a budget!]

1. Ponds Cold Cream
2. Dickinson's Witch Hazel
3. Basis Sensitive Skin Bar Soap
4. Cover Girl Professional Mascara in Brown
5. Revlon Superlustrous Lipstick in Volcanic Red or Copper Chrome
6. Cornsilk Matte Translucent Powder (loose or compact version)
7. Maybelline Coverstick (Light Beige)
8. Dove Deodorant in Fresh scent
9. Jergens Ultra Healing Lotion
10. V05 or Suave Shampoo and Conditioner
11. Goody Sponge Curlers
12. Goody Brush

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kitty55 said:
Ah, Katie, you beat me to it:
300.jpg

I (heart) this stuff. It is a bit messy, yes, but it just SOAKS into the skin, and the gloss factor - if you're into that sort of thing - is pretty high. I've even used it to take off my eye make up in a pinch...:eek:

You both beat me to it! I adore this stuff. It is the only lip balm I will put on my lips, and it is incredible on those freezing cold winter days. I love the old fashioned tin and the description of all it's uses on the back. Anything that works for chapped lips, diaper rash, cuticles, and an assortment of other things is A-OK in my book. It's the multi-tasking beauty product:)

Emblaze

Familiar Face
Snookie said:
Does anyone have a cheap concealer they totally love? I need something that isn't harsh or drying to my sensitive skin (so no acne chemicals).

I have some Maybelline Coverstick at the moment. I was using Benefit Boi-oing but I ran out during a period of low funds, so I thought I'd pick up something cheap to tide me over until I could stretch to Benefit again. I don't think I'll bother, though, as the Maybelline is really good. It only cost me £1.49 or something like that.

I've just bought some Coty powder on eBay for the bargain price of 99p. The seller's description wasn't very informative, so it may be completely the wrong shade, but for a quid it's no great loss. I don't think Coty is available in the UK (I haven't seen it anywhere anyway) and there was only one on eBay so I thought I'd better seize my chance!

Edited to remove the run-on sentence to end all run-on sentences!

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:
e.l.f.

So far I've only tried the Smoothing Lip Gloss, and while it is very sticky and very well, glossy, it is wonderful feeling on your lips. It smells good too! I have Pixie, and honestly I got it as a free gift with one of my eBay purchases. It isn't really my color, but I'm thinking of buying a few other colors.

All of the cosmetics on this website are around $1, and they do not test on animals, they use natural ingredients, and they support a few charities too.

I think I might have to give them a try. The price of their products, the name(my intials) ELF. I'm also very beauty ingnorant. I wash my face with Nuetrogena and thats it. No makeup, I'm slowly intertaining the thought of products. I diffently keep tract of this thread.

epr25

Practically Family
I unfortunatley have to admit that I have acne at age 28. Cheap would be great but has anyone found anything they could recomend? Even if it is perscription I don;t care at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
G

GoldLeaf

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12862

That thread is the one that did it for me. And to stay on topic, all the things I list below are less than 10 dollars! I decided to try out the suggestions of the other ladies, and let me tell you, I can't belive the difference in my skin! I just got over a stressful and wonky menstrual cycle, and I had about 95% fewer problems with my skin than I can remember in years. My skin is smooth and soft and virtually problem free. I have combination skin with a very oily T-zone and its soooo much better now. And the best part is: I saw a difference in 3 days!!

(The following is my summary of the thread's advice - or at least my interpretation of it)

First, take all your "acne" products and hide them somewhere. I couldn't throw them out right away because they were my safety net. If you have anything that has Salicylic Acid or benzyol peroxide, stick it in a drawer! If you use a harsh exfoliator, hide it away! (like an apricot scrub).

Next, buy Pond's Cold Cream! Yes, it has mineral oil and beeswax, but it works! I use it at night and rub it off with a warm wash cloth to exfoliate.

You also need a toner that doesn't have alcohol in it. Most ladies swear by witch hazel, but I couldn't find any, so I have been using Nivea Visage Alcohol-Free Moisturizing Toner with Chamomile & Aloe. Its gentle and moisturizing.

Follow that up with a good moisturizer. Most of us recommend one with a sunscreen. I use Oil of Olay Complete.

If I remember, at night I have been using Olay Night of Olay Firming Cream. I am 30 but don't have the crow's feet yet, so I just wanted a little extra but without going over the top.

This has made all the difference in the world. I have since thrown out all my harsh products (I kept a spot treatment, just in case). But the toner and the lotion and scrub and wash with salicylic Acid are gone!

Give the cold cream a try. It's 8 bucks, what do you have to loose? :D

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
Girls if you need a good mask for your hair.

What you'll need:

1 shower cap,that you can get gross...try dollar stores.This will have to be heated.

1 avocado
1 bananna
1-3 Tablespoons of Olive oil from your kitchen
1/2 tablespoon almond oil*
1/2 vitamin E (go to a drug store and buy the cheap capsules)*

* These are optional,depends on your budget and what your hair needs.

Blend

Comb mix throughout hair.Next,put into shower cap...sleep with it over night then wash out,and/or set with a blow dryer and wash out with shampoo.

Your body naturally needs oil,so instead of your hair "rejecting" the oil it will in fact "soak" it up so to speak.You can add a touch of lemon or orange.Lemon is a NATURAL clarifier.

I worked in salons for years,and Id encourage women to look in their kitchen and throw it in a blender and put it in their hair.

Burt's Bees sells something like this,but it is money and you could just get these things from your kitchen.
3424.jpg

Lastly,Olive oil is a great moisturizer.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
sweet oil/almond oil

I have a fairly light case of exzema, so my skin is always dry and ashy and tight. I bought sweet oil just because I read it in a dime store novel where a cow hand uses it on his hands. Figured if it worked on his hands which are worn and torn then it should work on my worn and torn hands too. And it did, then decided to start putting it on all of my skin. Oh boy, its so soft and not tight. I'm still ashy cuz of the excema, but 2 outta 3 aint bad and I use vasilene intensive care cocoa butter lotion to round it all out. (Best lotion I've found for my prob skin and also a cheap buy).
Sweet oil or sweet almond oil prices range from $2-4 at the drug store or grocers, I also found it at family dollar in the little ethnic section where everything is in spanish, works good too, not as well as the stuff from the drug store, doesnt smell as pretty either.
So for this I put it either on my sponge thing with my body wash when bathing or mix it in with my lotion.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Faythe, I have eczema as well. I bought a tube of Aveeno cream that has hydrocortisone in it and use it for spot treatment of my problem areas. Within a day or two the spots have cleared up. I bought the cream at Target for under $10. Might be worth a shot.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Babydoll said:
Faythe, I have eczema as well. I bought a tube of Aveeno cream that has hydrocortisone in it and use it for spot treatment of my problem areas. Within a day or two the spots have cleared up. I bought the cream at Target for under $10. Might be worth a shot.

I've tried that, I've tried sooooooo many things...lol.. I am finding that the sweet oil and occasionally when my exzema is very light creamy vasalene works best for me. (please forgive my spelling the last few days, too much on my mind)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Johnson and Johnson baby milk lotion....this stuff is SO great! It sinks fast into your skin and leaves it incredibly soft and silky with just a touch of fragrance (and no, it's not the type of fragrance that will leave you smelling like a baby's butt!)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question - I have been using Aussie Volume hairspray. I don't like the smell but it's cheap. However, now it's making my forehead break out at the hairline! Any good brands you combination skinned-gals use that you like?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pretty faythe said:
Hey thanks, I'll have to give that a try. Reading it, it sounds like it would work well for my daughters dandruff too. Nothing like getting 2 birds with one stone.

Ive used it on my face as well, and I recommended it to a cousin and she did the same, said it cleared her face up pretty well. I couldnt get past the oil on my face thing lol

LD

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Question - I have been using Aussie Volume hairspray. I don't like the smell but it's cheap. However, now it's making my forehead break out at the hairline! Any good brands you combination skinned-gals use that you like?
I use Rave 4x mega, it's inexpensive and holds well and I've had no reactions from it.

G

GoldLeaf

Rave 4x Mega holds so well, its what I used to use to make my 12 inch mohawk stand up :eek: lol I saturated my hair and then blasted it with a hairdrier. When I need volume, I just use a modified, less extreme version of the technique :D

It smells pretty good, and I haven't had problems with it, either.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I've had very good luck with Sebastian products (and they smell great too:D )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy