Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Simmons Bilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What type of design were you thinking of?

It's a unique looking cafe racer, should look cool if we can bring it to reality.

Please create a thread if you go through with it! JL makes such great stuff and they have access to some very unique hides.
I want to do something in the CXL 4.75oz Horween cognac. But. Money.

Will do so, we are currently looking at the feasibility, and I asked them to be brutally honest with me. I chose them specifically because they are probably the best people to take up such a challenge. Not sure which leather I will choose yet, but thinking of 4oz in weight.

Then you've forgotten Will was prone to allowing any old modification, sending it out, and when it didn't fit/work, accepting the return.
OK, I just don't think that should be expected. My point is simply that you make your own dinner and if it tastes bad there isn't anyone but yourself to blame.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Then you've forgotten Will was prone to allowing any old modification, sending it out, and when it didn't fit/work, accepting the return.

I haven't forgotten anything and I wasn't thinking of any maker in particular. My point is that if a customer heavily modifies a standard design and isn't happy with it, he shouldn't expect the maker to accept it in return. If Will did that in the past, that was foolish. Sounds like SB no longer does that, which is smart.

The jacket I had made back in the "let's go crazy" days with JanSolo at the helm was pretty much something nobody there would make today. And I certainly would not expect a return unless they boffed something that was agreed upon. I mean, if my 26" sleeves came in at 24", they'd be fixing it or taking it back - trust me.

But I agree with @ton312 - once you start creating the frankenjacket, it's on you unless the specs are wrong...it's nice to see that most of us have learned from this and gone back to more simple requests.

That would really take boredom to new level of sadness. This would be an odd place to troll but I guess that's what trolls do. Guess I'm just not sure.

Mark

Practically Family
I can never quite get this Troll thing, how do you know if some one is trolling, define please..

Edward

Bartender
I wish JL would do something with their website, it just yells '1999!!'. On the strength of what we've seen here, they could do an amazing gallery of bespoke builds.

I'd agree it's a shame. I have one Johnson jacket - a very nice steerhide D-pocket Buco-type that I bought second hand a while back (so no direct experience of the company itself, merely an example of its product). Beautiful jacket, which compares favourably to jackets I've had from a range of high-end makers. Longer sleeves and *maybe* 2" longer in the body than my Schott 618; clearly designed originally for somebodsy who planned to ride in it. That said, it's not "too long" in the way that so many cheaper bike jackets of the P/D types these days are elongated to the point where it throws off the proportions. Lovely piece. If ever the pound recovers against the US dollar and I happened to be out their way, I'd definitely drop in and see what they had in stock. The website isn't great at all - it does lead me to assume that they don't see the web as significant to their marketing, most of their custom coming into the shop in person, or that perhaps they simply have the optimum amount of work coming in already, and just don't need to invest in a new website. Seems funny these days that anyniche business could discount the web, but it's hardly impossible in a city the size of SF especially.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jfk_stry_0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick