Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke suite error

I recently had 2 suits made by 1 of the "Hong Kong Tailors" . The suits are well made and fit well. The problem is that they mixed up the vents on the 2 suits. The double breasted suit has a center vent instead of side vents like I requested, not a combination I like or would voluntarily buy. They don't dispute this error on their part. After 5 months they have sent me the jacket back saying they cannot fix it. They no longer have the same material to redo the jacket or replace the center panel. Since I am a long time customer, I have had shirts made by them for over 10 years the agent has offered me a free shirt the next time I order shirts. That is all well and good, but I am not in the market for shirts at the present time. What is a reasonable request for compensation? When a retail store messed up a suit order for me, they gave it to me for free to keep me as a customer once the right suit finally came in. I doubt they would do that if I asked, but what about 50% off another suit or 2 for 1? I like to think I am a reasonable guy, but I ordered the suits last spring and they have had this jacket for 3 months trying to fix the problem. While I like the quality of their work and the workmanship of the suits I am very dissatisfied with this jacket. What should I do? :mad:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The best solution, obviously, would have been a redo on the jacket. Since the suiting isn't available anymore, I would suggest asking if you could send back the suit and have it redone in a comparably priced fabric. By suggesting a compromise that doesn't leave the tailor feeling as if he made two suits for the price, you are most likely to get what you want (a suit like you wanted in the first place).

What tailor was this, by the way?

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would either return the suit for a refund or, if I planned to continue using the tailor, exchange it for a suit in a different cloth made up to my specifications. No amount of free shirts or discounts would influence me to keep something I wasn't happy with.

BTW, who is the tailor?

Cobden

Practically Family
Does the jacket have a centre seam in the rear panel? If so, it may be worth asking if they can convert it to be ventless - I appreciate it's not what you originally ordered, but personally I'd think a ventless DB jacket would look more sensible then single vent (which, I feel, would just look bizarre) and thus more wearable.

Cobden

Practically Family
Aye, but one might as well get the suit into a wearable state, then work out some reasonable compensation (don't try and go over the top, though. You could end up with no suits and no legal recourse - overseas consumer rights, especially regarding custom made items, are something of a minefield to say the least)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Aye, but one might as well get the suit into a wearable state, then work out some reasonable compensation
Well, I'm not of the mind that bespoke should have to be repaired into a wearable state considering all the time and money involved. I say, send it back for a do over.[huh]

Feraud

Bartender
I would either return the suit for a refund or, if I planned to continue using the tailor, exchange it for a suit in a different cloth made up to my specifications. No amount of free shirts or discounts would influence me to keep something I wasn't happy with.

BTW, who is the tailor?
I agree with this. If one has been a 10 year customer I don't see a free shirt as proper compensation for their mistake.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
What the Baron said.

Just have them seal the vent. If you are posting on the Fedora Lounge than you have more than a passing interest in vintage style, a ventless suit will look more vintage. Just do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner