Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best available zipper for upper end hard wear jacket

Ribdoner

A-List Customer
Did site search for info to no avail. I'm having zipper issues with a like new (NEW OLD STOCK) AERO jacket (not my GRIZZLY) which is being "repaired", however, if I have to replace it what are the best options?

I have a vintage, well loved VANSON HH COLORADO which features a 10mm rici which has been bulletproof, however, I can't find any so it appears that solution is off the table.

Your input is appreciated, Adam

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I don't pretend to be any kind of authority, but I did have an experience that might apply. The first motorcycle jacket I got was a Vanson Teton (Firenze) that came with a nickel two way main zipper. I ordered on the phone from Vanson after speaking to Kim (the owner's wife/business partner). The first day I had it, the lower zipper slide (opening the closed zipper from the bottom) skipped a tooth or something and froze solid. Long story short: I called Kim and sent it back. While the stock zipper obviously was metal, the replacement recommended by Kim was a righteously gaged black nylon 2-way YKK. Kim added that the quality of the metal zippers available to them had gone way down. It's worked slick as goose grease ever since. So now, even my stock jacket is customized.:D P.S. I can't say I've noticed anything bad about the metal YKKs on my Johnson Leathers stuff, but maybe a two way zipper is more complicatedly stressed.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I know they're kind of unsightly, but I've had #10 heavy YKK zippers on my Johnson Leathers jackets. I like them because they require no finesse and seem to be durable.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I know they're kind of unsightly, but I've had #10 heavy YKK zippers on my Johnson Leathers jackets. I like them because they require no finesse and seem to be durable.
This is what they used to use on the best backpacks. I've never seen one get damaged or malfunction, and they get used and beat hard on an expedition-sized backpack. I'd put one on a jacket for sure.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
This is what they used to use on the best backpacks. I've never seen one get damaged or malfunction, and they get used and beat hard on an expedition-sized backpack. I'd put one on a jacket for sure.

Visually, you can do better. But I can attest to its ease of use and it looks like it won't get jammed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace