Bill Kelso

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Spiney, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Spiney

Spiney Familiar Face

Hi, just looking for some opinions on this maker. I’m not overly knowledgeable ( as you’ve probably already worked out ) on these things but I have heard of them and don’t remember hearing anything bad . Any help would be much appreciated. I’ve seen a jacket I’m very tempted in.

2. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Which Bill Kelso jacket are you looking at? I have a couple and there are others here who have BK jackets.

3. Spiney

Spiney Familiar Face

It’s a Cadet in Liberty Horsehide.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  4. erikb02809

erikb02809 One of the Regulars

I've owned 3 BK Dukes. 1 in Victory HH I bought from them that I sold to tmitchell, and 2 others in seal Liberty HH.

On all 3, they're a bit more obviously handmade than, say, LW, (ie. stitching can be a little wavy in spots) but they make a really nice jacket imo. For the price they charge for most of their jackets, I think the bang for your buck ratio is right about where it should be when it comes to style, quality of manufacture, and hide selection.

There were some QC issues on my 2nd jacket from them that while not-acceptable, I didn't notice until like 3 weeks after it had been delivered and a dozen wearings or so. Despite the time and use out of the box, they took the jacket back and made me a new one with zero hassle, which I was super impressed with. So, in my experience, very good customer service too.

The Victory HH is the nicest hide I ever saw. I kick myself for selling the jacket i had in that hide, although it couldn't have gone to a better owner than tmitchell. The price on that hide has gone up to where I'm not comfortable spending that much on a new jacket in that hide. The Liberty hide is also nice. It's quicker to show wear than some, but my current Duke in that hide after a couple months of wear is starting to show some nice graining, and the topcoat is starting to wear in some high use spots showing the lighter brown underneath in a way that looks cool.

jonbuilder, jonesy86 and Spiney like this.
  5. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

I had a cadet in Black overdyed Liberty HH. Pretty nice jacket. I only sold it because it was a little tighter than I like but nothing bad to say about it. I waited ~6 months back in 2018 I think.

Spiney likes this.
  6. Spiney

Spiney Familiar Face

Thanks for the reply’s. I’d assumed it was an American maker, was surprised to hear they’re based in England.

7. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Actually, they’re Greek

TheBigEraser likes this.
  8. Spiney

Spiney Familiar Face

But based in Milton Keynes in England , or is that just their uk headquarters?

9. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

I previously owed two BK jackets. I had no issue with the construction, but I really did not like the Liberty HH. It had a vinyl quality. I have heard that other batches of Liberty HH had a different feel. BK explains that its Liberty HH is designed to age very, very quickly.

Some TFL members have exalted the attributes of BK's Victory HH. Based on the reviews, I strongly suspect it is a wonder hide. That said, BK's Victory HH is rarely available and, when it is, the upcharge is considerable (e.g., 2.5-3x the price of a Liberty jacket).

The owner / front man for BK, Andy Falzon, is a controversial, lightning-rod character. Without getting into details, he has said some things and made some threats that I personally find reprehensible.

BK's operations are something of an enigma. For a time, they appeared to be based out of Greece. Then, they supposedly were being purchased by or were merging with an England outfit, although I don't know if that was actually consummated. Therefore, I have no idea where they are "located," although I vaguely think they continue to manufacture their jackets in Greece (not certain about this).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    sweetfights likes this.
  10. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

The Victory HH is the nicest hide I ever saw. I kick myself for selling the jacket i had in that hide, although it couldn't have gone to a better owner than tmitchell.

The jacket is in strong hands! I have turned down many offers for that jacket. I will contact you before it goes anywhere, back it might be a few years!

sweetfights, erikb02809 and JMax like this.
  11. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

I was thinking Cadet. It is one of my favorites.

The early Liberty jackets were pretty fast wearing. I have no idea if they're still finished like that. It can be very dramatic

12. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

That was just part of a weird move they did to charge people more for the same thing.
    They used to have prices in Euro, they changed the currency to GBP and kept the same prices, meaning a 20% increase in value at the time. I don't think they have anything going on in the UK.

There are rumours that say their jackets are actually made in Pakistan, nothing has ever been confirmed, but no one in Greece knows where they are made.

As Super said, they are a bit of an enigma...

sweetfights, Spiney, ton312 and 4 others like this.
  13. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

I had a brief discussion about BK with Theodoros. He said no way BK produces jackets in Greece.

14. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Here is my BK Dodger in fast wearing Liberty HH. I bought this jacket new and it was shipped from Greece. Probably 7-8 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Duke in Victory Horsehide with the Liberty HH jackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Pandemic

Pandemic One Too Many

Both the Wingman and Wildboy designs look fantastic in pictures.

16. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

BK Monarch Liberty-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

marker2037, Jin431 and Mich486 like this.
  17. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Here is my Cadet (modified with a Wingman collar) in black Liberty HH. I liked the leather, crispy vegetable tanned HH, hookless zipper. The topcoat wasn’t particularly fast wearing on mine.

C512599E-59B0-44B4-B6D3-8E4EBFF43260.jpeg

18. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

T's Duke is a beautiful jacket!
    @tmitchell

tmitchell59 likes this.
  19. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

I know that they are indeed sent out from Athens, Greece, at least this where the fella's from VLJ receive them from.
    Their owners name though is definitely not Greek.

20. Aloysius

Aloysius One of the Regulars

Wasn't he in the garment industry for ages before launching Thedi? I'd imagine if anyone would know, it's him.